On board battery charger

motion

Hey guys, I need some help choosing an on board battery charger. I have a boat with a 12 volt starting battery and 2-12volt batteries for the trolling motor. Any advice on type and size would be appreciated. I only know of the ones Bass Pro carries but I am a little confused on what I should get and how you hook them up properly. I believe I would need a 3-bank charger???

Any ideas on where to buy them reasonably? I am live in Vaughan with my boat up near Orillia.

Thank you in advance

I picked one of these up last year and it's pretty decent.

It will charge regular lead acid, deep cycle lead acid and AGM batteries.

All you have to do is hook one set of cables to each battery and plug it in.

It will cycle through the batteries giving up to 15 amps of current and when the batteries are charged will maintain them. It also conditions the batteries to extend their life.

I personally don't see the reason behind having an on board charger for your cranking battery...Anyway, one bank per battery, if you want to charge all three you will need a 3-bank charger, just 2 then you would obviously need a 2-bank charger. They are easy to install, follow the mounting instructions. There are two leads per barttery as you would expect.

As Dax points out.. if your charging circuit is working properly on your outboard there should be no reason to be using an onboard charger for it's cranking battery/accessory battery. The motor should have it fully topped by the time you get back to the dock/trailer.

My boat and most others run every thing but the TM off the cranking batteries. Fishing up in your great province for a week or more I didn't have a 3 bank charging the cranking motor so on about day 3 msybe 4 there was not enough left in the cranking battery to start the big motor. Fortunately I had jumper cables on board. Another reason for a 3 bank is that battery life is improved if you get them fully charged after every use.

As Dax points out.. if your charging circuit is working properly on your outboard there should be no reason to be using an onboard charger for it's cranking battery/accessory battery. The motor should have it fully topped by the time you get back to the dock/trailer.

Understand your point Wayne, however, would it not make sense if I had to buy an on board charger that a 3-bank would keep the cranking battery topped up durind extended periods of time when I am not using the boat? My starting battery is only a could of years old.

Understand your point Wayne, however, would it not make sense if I had to buy an on board charger that a 3-bank would keep the cranking battery topped up durind extended periods of time when I am not using the boat? My starting battery is only a could of years old.

Yes it does make perfect sense.

That is the reason I have a 3 bank charger on my boat.

As I said the charger I bought will ignore any fully charged batteries and only charge those that need charging. Plus it conditions the batteries and reduces sulfation of the plates as well as float charging them so they stay topped up when not used. Just plug in at the end of the day and forget about it until the next trip.

Yes it does make perfect sense.

That is the reason I have a 3 bank charger on my boat.

As I said the charger I bought will ignore any fully charged batteries and only charge those that need charging. Plus it conditions the batteries and reduces sulfation of the plates as well as float charging them so they stay topped up when not used. Just plug in at the end of the day and forget about it until the next trip.

Dave, I would also assume you leave the two TM batteries hooked up together (24 volts) while charging?? I dont need any other switches. Is that correct?

Dave, I would also assume you leave the two TM batteries hooked up together (24 volts) while charging?? I dont need any other switches. Is that correct?

Correct, the charger separates the batteries internally.

You have 3 cables (each with a + & -) (one for each battery) and a power cord.

So easy a caveman could install it. :lol:

The only thing you have to do is tell it what kind of battery is on each cable so it can properly charge it. All done through a button or two. Easy enough if you follow the instructions. :whistling:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I agree with having a 3 bank charger to include charging and MAINTAINING the starting battery. I no longer remove my batteries from the boat in the winter months. Just plug the charger in and forget about it. Using a smart on-board charger my starting battery lasted 9 years and I only replaced it because of it's age...I didn't want to push it beyond that because I'm fishing Lake Erie a lot during the summer.

I believe the charger that Drifter mentioned might be the same as the one I'm using with a different brand name. Here's the one I have on my boat....http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/AutoBoat-Batteries-Chargers/On-Board-Chargers-Inverters%7C/pc/104794380/c/104698080/sc/104465880/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers-ProSport-II-On-Board-Marine-Battery-Chargers/734150.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-auto-boat-batteries-chargers-on-board-chargers-inverters%2F_%2FN-1100565%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104698080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104698080%3Bcat104465880

A lot depends on your electronics. I have 2 hd units plus a global map 3300c and a flasher I still use running down the lake. Then add live wells running all day.

Also these merc pro xs take huge power to crank.

Charging my cranking battery is nessary.

I have the same brand as Drifter (from Cantire) and as mentioned, has a 5yr warranty which is awesome. Mastercraft Nautilus 15A Onboard Battery Charger

I had a Bass Pro brand that only lasted 3 years and at $300.00 with only a 2 year warranty, that hurt the wallet.

I enjoy just plugging in the boat when I get home and know it is ready to go anytime I am.

Sherriff

Picked up the Nautilus charger at CTC last night. Looks like a sweet unit and can't wait to install it. I am happy that I wont have to lug the batteries out of the boat now that I have an electrical outlet close enough to charge them on board.

Thanks for all your help guys and an extra special one out to Dave for your advice (and links) :thumbsup_anim:

I am happy that I wont have to lug the batteries out of the boat now that I have an electrical outlet close enough to charge them on board.

Exactly why I had one installed last year for my T/M battery. Heavy sucker I got tired of lifting out of the boat and carrying back and forth to the cabin all the time. Good luck.

Picked up the Nautilus charger at CTC last night. Looks like a sweet unit and can't wait to install it. I am happy that I wont have to lug the batteries out of the boat now that I have an electrical outlet close enough to charge them on board.

Thanks for all your help guys and an extra special one out to Dave for your advice (and links) :thumbsup_anim:

No problem

Don't forget to put the bill in a safe place in case there's a problem & remember it's got a 5 year warranty. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

agm is Absorbent Glass Mat Batteries. Gel is gel and Regular is a wet cell battery that you add water to as needed. Each battery is identified on the battery shell. You should not use any other setting then the one that applies to your battery.They charge differently and for different amp or time and can damage the battery if set wrong.

Art

agm is Absorbent Glass Mat Batteries. Gel is gel and Regular is a wet cell battery that you add water to as needed. Each battery is identified on the battery shell. You should not use any other setting then the one that applies to your battery.They charge differently and for different amp or time and can damage the battery if set wrong.

Art

What Art said...oh, and don't forget to plug it in whenever not fishing for best results.

Bob