Beer Cans!!

TJQ

I'm working on a project that involves vintage fishing stories and articles, and I have some interesting material. One of the Field and Stream Magazines had this full page ad on the back cover. I was amazed. Judge for yourself... especially the picture in the upper right hand corner...

beercans.jpg

Early cans here were actually all light gauge steel including the ends, you had to use a pronged can opener on them and broke down relatively quickly, especially if you burned them in a fire pit. When pull tabs came in, we retained the steel cylinder but the ends were aluminum, lastly we have the extruded aluminum cans of today, probably the least environmentally friendly can if left behind. 40 or so years ago it was acceptable to burn steel cans and bury them along with the remains of your fire pit if you packed them in to a remote camp site, yes times have changed. :clapping:

Top R. corner is really out of touch with today's way of thinking.

I remember cans becoming popular in the States in the 60's but don't remember cans with a bottle cap. Imagine if you had a case of those it may be worth a buck or 2 to the right person.

Really neat ad.

Top R. corner is really out of touch with today's way of thinking.

I remember cans becoming popular in the States in the 60's but don't remember cans with a bottle cap. Imagine if you had a case of those it may be worth a buck or 2 to the right person.

Really neat ad.

I'm getting up there too, had to wait till 21 to legally drink in Ontario, I too don't remember the bottle top cans, but do remember metal cans that you had to open with a can opener and especially how pop machines had that door where you set the can and when you closed the door it punctured the can :( it was probably the most unsanitary idea ever invented. :o