This may spread to the Niagara River....

pics

The contamination results are exactly what we thought they would be at the edge of the airport.... The question now is how to clean it up and who will pay for it? Taxpayers will end up footing the bill but local fishermen have already paid the ultimate price with consumtion restrictions and a loss of confidence in a great local fishery. On a positive note, since it has been catch and release for all fish but the crappies and perch, exposure has been limited since concentration are lower in smaller fish...

Record levels of contamination

It's in the Binbrook reservoir that feeds the Welland river which then makes it's way to the lower Niagara River. There are spots in the welland river that are much worse than the lake which indicates that it has already travelled some distance from the source........My link

Let's hope Environment Canada can force some action on this. I'm not sure if PFO's are a regulated substance or not but if they can prove that the airport has contaminated neighboring properties, then the government could force a claim. The airport definitely has environmental insurance coverage. I bet they are scrambling and the insurance company is already investigating to find who is liable for the spill. Whoever is liable (insurance, airport or other) will fight tooth and nail (as they usually do) to avoid paying for the cleanup. A cleanup like that can cost 10's of millions so you know there will be some push-back. In a case like this, public outcry is often the best catalyst for a clean up.

CLEAN UP YOUR CARCINOGEN's HAMILTON AIRPORT!!!

I'll be sending them a wordy email and cc the environment minister.

Hamilton airport media email:

[email protected]

Niagra Peninsula Conservation Authority:

[email protected]

Env. Can:

[email protected]

Actually none of the commercial planes made after 1970 have a dump valve. The regulations on emergency landing procedures do not call for dumping even when the plane is over 115% of the max rated weight ratio. The fuel dumping myth lives on though now thats not to say they won't drop a load of blue ice on you though. :clapping:

Art

Every plane that land at Toronto airport dumps its fuel over lake ontario before they land.

With Jet A at over $2.50/litre and up 45% from last year... I don't imagine there's even a ounce lost in Lake Ontario. "Every airplane"... and we wonder how fear mongering starts.

Aplumma has it summed up pretty good. Not much of the newer commercial fleet even has the capability to do so, such as all of West Jets 757's, the majority of Airbus 319's, 320's etc. The only airbus I know that can dump fuel is the A340. Possibly the A330... I'll ask my brother next time I see him, just before he heads for Kazakhstan to fly same.

And also note, Steve.. the contamination has nothing to do with Jet fuel... it's a chemical found in the fire supressent foam that, allegedly, has caused this contamination.

Edited by irishfield

With Jet A at over $2.50/litre and up 45% from last year... I don't imagine there's even a ounce lost in Lake Ontario. "Every airplane"... and we wonder how fear mongering starts.

Aplumma has it summed up pretty good. Not much of the newer commercial fleet even has the capability to do so, such as all of West Jets 757's, the majority of Airbus 319's, 320's etc. The only airbus I know that can dump fuel is the A340. Possibly the A330... I'll ask my brother next time I see him, just before he heads for Kazakhstan to fly same.

And also note, Steve.. the contamination has nothing to do with Jet fuel... it's a chemical found in the fire supressent foam that, allegedly, has caused this contamination.

Thanks for the up date I new you would know the truth.

I would love to see some testing in the lower Welland River and the Niagara as well. At about 500 bucks for each test the costs will be high....There's still a lot of ground work that must be covered before then.