Smelt action

Rod Caster

Nipfisher, Joeytier, Jim jigger and I hit the river tonight and we caught the beginning of the run. In total I think we netted 50 or 60 smelt. This will pick up over the next week I imagine.

The best thing about the run so far is the size of the smelt we are catching!! biggest one approached 9inches and the average was around 6-7 inches! I like the high meat to cleaning effort ratio.

One thing to note: the lucky strike nets that Canadian Tire sell are complete crap. Why haven't they come out with a better product??? If someone could make a composite (like the hockey sticks) net, they would be a hero in my mind. I'd gladly pay $50 for a net that will last 5 years versus three disposable nets every year at 19.99 each.

Had fun tonight boys, we'll have to do it again.

smeltapr19-2.jpg

smeltapr19-1.jpg

Smeltapr19.jpg

I cleaned over 40 last night. I'm guessing you had about 30 making our # close to 70. Biggest one I had was around 8 inches. I kept a few biggies to salt and freeze for the big pike.

CIMG2210.jpg

My lucky strike net held up but my folding Rapala net now requires a new handle. Good times.

Here is a picture I took this morning. On pack is frozen and the other will be consumed today.

CIMG2214.jpg

Edited by Nipfisher

Here is the in-between pictures. The after shots will ake a day or 2 ;)

CIMG2215.jpg

The 3 on the left were just cut and scooped out. The others I sliced down one side of the back bone for easier (faster) cooking.

I used Italian flavoured Fish Crisp and Salt/pepper. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Washing it down with a cold beer right now.

CIMG2218.jpg

Here is the in-between pictures. The after shots will ake a day or 2 wink.gif

The 3 on the left were just cut and scooped out. The others I sliced down one side of the back bone for easier (faster) cooking.

I used Italian flavoured Fish Crisp and Salt/pepper. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Washing it down with a cold beer right now.

Looks good man!!! I like the butterfly cut, I'll try that next time.

My smelt are still sitting in my bucket in the fridge. Fell asleep at 2:30am and got called out to Parry Sound at 6! ouch! Tough day, yet I'd probably go smelting tonight if I was in town. I sure hope I'm back in town for thursday night

...the smelt are calling, will you answer the phone?

was out, in the snow, last night, 2 of us managed a full 5 gal pail in a couple hours. There weren't running full steam, but I've scooped for a lot less! were getting some scoops as big as 40-50 in it, but they were the biggest scoops, on average about a third of that. We're not serious scoopers, more of a social, but nice to bring home some bait!

Thrasher

Nipfisher, Joeytier, Jim jigger and I hit the river tonight and we caught the beginning of the run. In total I think we netted 50 or 60 smelt. This will pick up over the next week I imagine.

The best thing about the run so far is the size of the smelt we are catching!! biggest one approached 9inches and the average was around 6-7 inches! I like the high meat to cleaning effort ratio.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad282/guertin/smeltapr19-2.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad282/guertin/smeltapr19-1.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad282/guertin/Smeltapr19.jpg

Sweet!!! Those would be perfect for salties :whistling::)