Want to get GOVERMENT talking about gas prices.

mrpike

Gentlmen, there is another side to the supply and demand equation that no one has mentioned. We are the ones driving that demand, we drive our car, we use our boat motors, we drive our RV. Cut down the demand and the price goes down. However, this involves a societal change in thinking that isn't going to happen soon. I won't get into the alternative energy side of the argument as it appears that with the price of oil so high , alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal etc. are becoming more attractive. I believe that as the world's supply of oil goes down, the producers have seen the writing on the wall and are determined to some extent to drive the price higher. Libya's share of world production was what, 2% , and you are saying this justifies a price increase. No, there is a certain amount of price fixing there but the oil as a commodity argument is valid. As far as governments being able to do something, unlikely , as the price goes up so does the amount of tax they collect. Who here has seen a politician give back tax dollars. Hell, the GST was supposed to be a temporary measure.

Bill

ya and so was income tax, apprently we were charged millions of dollars because our wind farms were producing excess, so the tax payer ended up paying somebody to take the power :rofl2: good one Dalton.

Care to guess how much tax payers are paying for that solar electricity? :rofl2: another good one Dalton.

I am not saying anything about price justification I am just voicing my opinion on why the gov. will not do anything to reduce the price, gotta pay for all those services!

The difference in the US and Canadian gas prices is mainly due to tax. Mr. Trudeau's national energy policy was also responsible for massive lay offs in the Alberta oil fields and the ceasation of oil and gas exploration and development in Canada.

I'd have more sympathy for the West if they'd share the Heritage Fund a little. You don't hear the West complaining about energy prices! :rolleyes: Wonder why??? :glare:

Dan O.

I hate high gas prices just as much as the next guy but somebody has to pay for;

health care,doctor,nurses,technicians salaries

education,new schools,teachers salaries,pensions

public sector and their pensions

law enforcement,jails prison

military

old age pension

canada pension

unemployment insurance

welfare for those who refuse to work

public housing

make work projects to battle the reccesion

equalization payments to less fortunate provinces

I am sure I missed a few things but you get the idea!

Don't forgot the awesome wages paid to oil patch workers and the outrageous salaries paid to their bosses (CEO's).

Dan O.

I'd have more sympathy for the West if they'd share the Heritage Fund a little. You don't hear the West complaining about energy prices! :rolleyes: Wonder why??? :glare:

Dan O.

Well Oggie, you definitely are a product of the 20th Century. As a former westerner, I could go back and dig up all sorts of issues and grievances that westerners could hold against eastern Canadians. The funny thing is that a lot of those jobs that were lost in the Alberta oil patch due to the National Energy Policy were held by easterners that had come west looking for work after the down turn in eastern Canadian manufacturing. I really thought that our country had move past this petty regionalism, but obviously there are hold outs.

Edited by Old Man

I agree. Demand for commodities will increase at a accelerated pace in the years to come, and Canada's position in this area is strong. It's funny, being a nation of farmer, miners, and lumberjacks was considered to be a weakness in the 20th century but it will be our strength is this century.

It's great that we have the natural resources but it will only benefit us if the finished products can be made here...shipping raw diamonds, iron ore, logs etc will not help us much...The real value is in the finished product.....

It's great that we have the natural resources but it will only benefit us if the finished products can be made here...shipping raw diamonds, iron ore, logs etc will not help us much...The real value is in the finished product.....

Exactly. Without strong manufactures, Canada becomes nothing more than a third world economic pawn. Kind of like 19th century India and China under British control.

Well Oggie, you definitely are a product of the 20th Century. As a former westerner, I could go back and dig up all sorts of issues and grievances that westerners could hold against eastern Canadians. The funny thing is that a lot of those jobs that were lost in the Alberta oil patch due to the National Energy Policy were held by easterners that had come west looking for work after the down turn in eastern Canadain manufacturing. I really thought that our country had move past this petty regionalism, but obviously there are hold outs.

Share the Heritage Fund so Ontario can dump it's provincial debt as well and we'll drop the petty regionalism. It's only petty when it's working for you. :rolleyes:

All I know is Trudeau had the balls to stop gas price increases and to do what was good for most of Canada. Not Alberta and not the U.S. but all of Canada. If this continues we will be looking at a second recession in Canada.

Can't see Harper ever freezing energy prices. Oh yeah,he's from where???

Dan O.