Kawartha ice-out crappie and jumbo perch

MJIG

With this being just the second year for ice-out fishing in the Kawartha Lakes, there is still lots to learn. Most of the water I sampled today had a temperature between 6.4 and 6.8 C, with a mid lake reed bed at about 8.4 C. I think that's still a little cool for the crappie fishing to come to life. Bring on the sun and warmth! Did anybody happen to record the water temperature last year when the bite was on? Last year's ice-out was a lot of fun and a brand new experience for those of us in the area.

--

I've been out night fishing at the Bewdley docks twice, and crappie at 8-10 inches come in once every hour and a half or so. There are some serious imbecils out on the dock that claim the dock to be theirs as locals, and scream at me for not following the regs while they are drinking in public and doing drugs. I didn't know it was 1 line per person, thought it was two and won't do it again. i said i wont do it again sorry for the rantwallbash.gif

Edited by Kwan

I was out Saturday on Chautauqua Lake crappie fishing.....1st launch was still iced in, 2nd launch was ice free but wind was blowing in and was completely block in with debris and no dock available....had to drive to the Jamestown end of the lake to launch only to run back up the lake...

Bottom line water temps were 38-39 when we launched and 41 at the end of the day....only 1 crappie caught but tons of perch which were mostly small, however we did get 32 jumbo's to keep out of about 100-150 (I'm guessing).

That lake has a LOT of small dead end canals that were cut out for cottage owners that warm up first even before the lake is ice free....they are always the first to draw in crappies....but that is jammed packed with people and it only takes 1 or 2 non-sportsmen to ruin your fishing day there. I tried canal fishing ONCE and I'll never to that again.

But anyways I know they have been getting crappies in the canals for about a week now with the best catches coming at night. I will be returning either Wed or Thurs hoping the shallow bay temps keep rising so I can dine on the best mother nature has to offer.

Bob

The fish are still suspending off the deeper drops for the most part yet.... Big Cliff has the temps bang on and we need some warmer consistent weather to heat up the North ends and canals... won't be long:thumbsup_anim:

We've been pounding them since mid week last week. Find warmer water, and you'll find 'em.

S.

I think I'd have to venture over to a different lake to find temperatures much warmer. The lake I'm trying was still frozen over last Friday, and the ice moved out last Saturday morning.

Today the average temperature was about 8 C. Still no crappie at the spots they were at last year, but no doubt they'll arrive soon. Bright sunny days and/or warm air temperatures - either should help warm the water up.

--

The water temperature is now back up to about 9 or 10 Celsius. There are some fish on the move now, but not into the back bays and shallows yet like they did last year. In 2010, the Kawartha Lakes feeding frenzy in the shallow bays was pretty much underway by April 2. This year it looks like it is going to be closer to May before it really kicks into gear in those shallows (in lakes other than Scugog anyway).

--

The guy next door and his daughter got 30 on Saturday between when it stopped raining and when the sun came out.

I tried the same spot today.

The water was flat, but it was overcast...

I could only find Sunfish and 4 OOS Bass.

I didn't know it was 1 line per person, thought it was two and won't do it again. i said i wont do it again sorry for the rant

Page 8 of the regulations:

Hooks and Lines - An angler may use only one line, unless otherwise stated in the regulations. Two lines may be used when angling from a boat in parts of the Great Lakes (see exceptions to the general regulations) and for ice fishing in many areas (see Ice Fishing, page 11). A fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached.

Pick up a copy and get familiar with it, it's cheap (in fact free) insurance.