Spring Bull Trout Action

Jet

The river fishing has been slower than usual for this time of year I'm told. Normally before the spring runoff the Bull Trout start migrating up river to feed up before the rivers blow and get ready for their August spawn. But with the extra snowy and cold winter we've had here in the Kootenays it seems to have pushed their schedule back some.

So trips with one or two fish have become the norm . . . I guess I shouldn't complain!

Here's a nice and aggressive Cutty.

P1000644.jpg

And a feisty

Bull Trout.

P1000647.jpg

Over the last few weeks the weather has really warmed, so I was even more eager to try and hit the run. I've been able to sneak out twice over the last two weeks trying to catch the migration and despite arriving upon what look like absolutely prime conditions, my last two trips have ended with big nasty skunks.

I got out today again and learned once again that the run still hasn't started.

This is what I did for the majority of the day.

P1000654.jpg

I also worked a lot of river today.

P1000667.jpg

However I did manage to bank two Bull Trout including a beautiful specimen that put up a solid 10 minute battle.

Bull Trout are my new Steelhead as many of you know. They certainly aren't as spectacular as Steelhead with their aerial displays and line-ripping runs, but from what I've experienced pound for pound, they still take just as long to land. Bull Trout like to hold you down deep with the bigger ones taking you on steady but powerful runs. This one ran right across the river - this after 5 minutes of fighting! Gotta love those big water battles.

P1000659.jpg

Another angle to show its true colours and the massive heads on these fish.

P1000662.jpg

Here's a video of the release and a river boat which I need to get to really work these rivers!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KOng1lpuyHo?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers!

Edited by Jet

Awesome stuff!

Are you coming back this year for a little while to fish in Ontario again?

Please explain to me why he would want to do that :P

That's awesome man. Ant and I have had 2 skunking weekends in a row ... that's 4 days lol. All we accomplished was honing our poaching skills (netting fish for the fish lift + fins/belly of suckers just seem to love roe bags)

Edited by Victor

Wow....look at the size of that thing! So jealous.

Way to go man. Well deserved with all the crap you've been going through over there.

Please explain to me why he would want to do that :P

That's awesome man. Ant and I have had 2 skunking weekends in a row ... that's 4 days lol. All we accomplished was honing our poaching skills (netting fish for the fish lift + fins/belly of suckers just seem to love roe bags)

Whoa now... I did catch fish. Suckers do count :D

Suckers should be higher ranked than steelhead.

Edited by frozen-fire

Thanks guys for reading. It took me good few tries to hook into my first, but as I spend more time on the rivers here, the success rate has definitely moved upward. Still miss the Steelheading in Southern Ontario, but I certainly don't miss the crowds! Bumped into one fisherman on half a km of shoreline all day.

Way to go Jet...it shouldnt be too hard but try to find a lake way up in the mountains and tangle with the cutties up there...i think thats about as close to heaven as you can get on this planet...

Nice Shootin !!! :thumbsup_anim: