Last ice fishing of the year.

fishnsled

Well yesterday's fishing adventure was probably one of the best days I've ever had. :thumbsup_anim: I couldn't keep them off my hook. I figure that I personally caught somewhere around 250+ perch myself, that being a conservative guess. It started off a bit slow then all hell broke loose. I'd drop my bait down and pull up a perch, sometimes I had to count to 5 before I got one. This went on for about 2.5 -3 hours. Then it was a dozen or so quick ones then move to another hole.

My Dad and his buddy had moved on and missed the main bite where they had gone to. An argument for run and gun or stay and wait them out I guess. Always a gamble and both will win from time to time. I figured I was catching fish so I was staying. They went on the hunt for bigger fish and lost. My Dad's buddy continued on fishing his way home and Dad circled back to meet up with me just as the bite was slowing down. Up to that point I didn't have to much to show the old man because I didn't have much in the way of any size to keep.

I found that by the end of the day we would just walk the 20+ holes we had and get fish. Fish a hole and pull up 6-12 fish, they'd shut down. Move 10 feet and catch another 6-12. Just kept working in a circle. Depth fished ranged from 25ft to 8ft. Although no jumbos were caught the action was unbelievable. Biggest fish was about 9.5". Several dozen in the 8-9" range but most in the 5-7" range. I figured if I was going to have a feed I need to start keeping more of these 9" to make up a meal. I did end keeping about 20 for a fry last night. Man those little buggers are SO tasty. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

The ice conditions were noticeably different from the week before. Ice was very soft, like drilling threw butter in spots. The shoreline is starting to open up as well. With the warm temps and rain this week, I wouldn't trust it any more with a sled or ATV. Most certainly wouldn't stray to far from shore. The ice was hard in some areas and 10 feet away was very soft. Where there was close to 3ft of good ice last weekend there was 18"-2ft of very soft stuff then they remainder was good ice. The main lake had lots of soft black ice that with the sun beating down on it will most likely go very quickly I'll wait to see how the ice holds up but I'm pretty sure my ice season is over. :( Time to get the boat ready. :w00t::thumbsup_anim::D

Here's a few pics from the day.

Ice looking near the end.

IMG_3386_3_1.JPG

Shoreline ice disappearing

IMG_3387_4_1trim.jpg

Last time on the ice for Dad? Maybe not. Since he lives up there it may be very easy to get out in the next day or 2.

IMG_3389_6_1.JPG

The end result, minus a few. Some people just can't wait, not that I can blame them

IMG_3391_8_1.JPG

Edited by fishnsled

Ice is leaving faster then a fat guy eating a large pepperoni pizza.

:lol::lol::lol: Well there goes my coffee all over the keyboard. LOL!!

Always like to go as long as I can CCMT, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Always better then staying at home. ;)

HH - Throw in some taters, a veggie (should have done up your asparagus) and it was a great meal. Otherwise I could have eaten the whole plate of perch myself!

Thanks for the the replys everyone!