Any gun enthusists out there??

brkygetr

Hello to all other fellow shooting sport enthusists!!!

I came across a rifle that I may purchase but am finding limited accurate info on the net. The rifle is a German made ..Sauer and Sohn 'Model 80' bolt, chambered 30'06. Optics are 'Zeiss Diavari-Z 2.5x10x52. From what I have seen this rifle is in 'immaculate' condition. Bear in mind I have only seen pics and have yet to handle and inspect it (this will be happening shortly).

Now here is the kicker... this is a used gun from the early 70's imported direct from Germany while coming across the pond. I can find info on current model (by the way model # has changed since then the 80' is no longer made) price but limited info on what this gun is actually worth?????

Anyone out there have any insight?? Or any good sites for info??

It would be appreciated.

Brkygetr

Hello to all other fellow shooting sport enthusists!!!

I came across a rifle that I may purchase but am finding limited accurate info on the net. The rifle is a German made ..Sauer and Sohn 'Model 80' bolt, chambered 30'06. Optics are 'Zeiss Diavari-Z 2.5x10x52. From what I have seen this rifle is in 'immaculate' condition. Bear in mind I have only seen pics and have yet to handle and inspect it (this will be happening shortly).

Now here is the kicker... this is a used gun from the early 70's imported direct from Germany while coming across the pond. I can find info on current model (by the way model # has changed since then the 80' is no longer made) price but limited info on what this gun is actually worth?????

Anyone out there have any insight?? Or any good sites for info??

It would be appreciated.

Brkygetr

First I have to say I have no first hand knowledge with said firearm but only can say it's a expensive firearm...my GUESS would be somewhere between 2-3K with that scope and depending on it's overall condition.....HOWEVER, that all depends on the condition of the bore....since it's a rifle made in the 70's as you said that could be in VERY bad shape or excellent shape depending how much it was fired and how well it was cleaned and stored. Before I would shell out that kind of money I would inspect the rifle bore with a bore scope.

Bob

This is a slightly larger caliber and the extra grade with engraving but may be a start, it's a very high quality firearm.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/J-P-Sauer-80-Extra-8x68.cfm?gun_id=100119417

Yeah Dave I saw that as well...definaetly no ingraving on the one I am looking at... after 2 days of searching I could find very limited sites with any info. I realize this is a rare firearm and even rarer in North America but I have come to learn that there is great knowledge base on this forum so hopefully someone can provide some info.

Before I would shell out that kind of money I would inspect the rifle bore with a bore scope.

Yes I intend too, the seller has stated that the bore is 'clean and shiny'.

I can tell you that I used to own one of these.. filled and re-bored to a 7.62(308).. from .35

I chewed up extractor clips (an extension of the catch tooth is another required modification when re-bored) (probably impossible to find nowadays)... It has a Mauser action and was as smooth as butter and very accurate..and heavy , If i remember correctly ..just about 8 1/2lbs.. (because of the extractor clip) not very reliable a good shootin' rifle nonetheless..I sold mine in 1994 for 300.00 including 6 extractor clips. I had bought it from Le Baron for 65$ in 1988.

I'm a former member of the now disbanded Canadian Rifle team and have shot and owned a ton of rifles...

If you don't already have one and are gonna use the SS.

Y'a might wanna look into a Lee Enfield 303 MkII, III, IV instead... I know it's not a Fine German Machine but......

It's way cheaper to shoot ,much more reliable ,not quite as smooth ,almost as accurate, I love the peep sights(accuracy depends on the shooter) and parts are very easy to come by VS the SS Mauser... you will not sacrifice much with the 303 vs 30.06 except the long range.

If I could recommend a rifle ... Over all, the best I've owned is a Remington model 700 bolt action .308..

( Javex bottles @ 650yds with ease)

Hands down the most accurate civilian rifle ever made... followed closely by their 7400 semi-auto,relatively cheap and extremely reliable.

my 2 cents

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Do you want to keep this rifle as a collectors item or just wanna fire it on weekends?

I just called my bud Steve H .. a well known award winning gunsmith and asked him the price based on your info... the most he'd estimate it sight unseen is 500.00( rifle only) at best 750.00 scope is fair market value at 200.00$

I have here a model 98 re-chambered from 9mm to 7.62 NATO (308WIN)

basically the same rifle (cheaper version mass produced) that shoots just as well as the SS80... I bought it for 65$ at Le Baron in 1990... It as most re-chambered Mausers has an extractor clip problem... the clips are available at almost any gun shop.

Randy

:canadian:

mauser_98_extractor.jpg