1989 50hp mercury outboard

livinisfishin

Any body have or know of any problems with this type of motor? Also any ideas of what to look for before purchasing? I have checked out websites and talked to a few people with experience with used outboards but mroe opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

first of all, i am not an expert. i will tell you how i got taken with one.

i started the boat i bought on the parking lot. it run no problem after 3-4 tries. when i took it on the water, it run no problem. only when i wanted to go faster, in didnt go no where. basically, boat didnt go more than 5km/hr. i took it to mechanic in port perry. first thing they checked the compresion. the motor is nissan's, 3 cldr, 90hp. compresion on two cylinders was 140. on the middle one, it was 110. the way i was explained, compression should be close on all 3, with small difference. it took me 4 weeks to rebuild the motor with a friend of mine. cost us 1300 in parts. head guskets, cylinders, electrical. it was a great buy after everything was fixed, but i wouldnt go through it if i knew. also, see if head is not bended. if it is, you will spend a fortune to replace it.

also, i drive only american cars. but a few fishermen with johnsons, mercury and etc not to happy. if you new, you wont have a problem for a while, but used are different story. just my 2 cents on the topic.

My boat has a 90hp Merc (same vintage 91) that has been very good over the 20 years I have owned it.

The only real things I have had issues with are an oil sensor in the oil resevoir died.

The only service over the years has been lower unit oil changes and ne plugs and fuel filter.

I have had issues with my controls lately (a bad wire somewhere) and I plan to replace the controls, but I'm trying to hold off until I can afford the new 115 four stroke to attach them to. :D

I got this from http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=391323

1. Fully charge battery.

2. Start engine and warm her up.

3. Remove all spark plugs and disconnect fuel line.

4. Rig a jumper to engage starter solenoid without turning ignition on. Pull the emergency kill switch on rope start engines.

5. Screw gauge into #1.

6. Turn engine over until reading on gauge stops increasing or 5 times, whichever is more.

7. Repeat #5 for all cylinders.

All psi readings should be within a 10-15% span.

* It has no effect to open the throttle.

* Don't get psi hysteria. Remember this is a 2 stroke engine and you are an amateur at compression testing.

* Rope start engines will usually give lower psi readings than your know-it-all neighbor claims are required. Same for big JohnnyRude V6s

_

vance

I have a 1990 4 stroke. Bought it used last year from a dealer. I had them compression test it and I did a sea trial with it from slow idle to wide open. Hasn't given me any problems so far (whats the emoticon for touch wood?) The compression test was not that expensive, and given the potential cost if something goes sideways, well worth the cost IMO. I looked a several forums and couldnt really find any recuurent problems listed. The guys at Proctor Marine are great - I'm sure if you called and explained your situation and asked what to look out for they'd be straight up with ya.