Black bear spotted roaming in Pickering

fishnsled

Just a heads up, they'll all be out and about pretty soon in all areas.

Black bear spotted roaming in Pickering

680News staff Mar 23, 2011 15:39:41 PM

Police have issued a warning about a black bear roaming around the Greenwood Conservation Area in Pickering.

A resident out hiking last Friday spotted the adult black bear alongside a creek and the animal didn't react to human presence.

People who live in the area are being told to remove all outside sources of food around their homes and backyards including garbage, compost and bird feeders.

This is the time of year when bears emerge from hibernation and being the search for food.

Edited by fishnsled

That was about 30 years ago and she was seen hanging around just outside the Falcons Nest ... on a Thursday night (if memory serves)... but I managed to sneak out the back door ;)

Edited by camillj

We seldom had this problem when the province had a Spring Bear hunt.

But don't worry the politicians will phone Bambi to come and take his friends home!

Isn't it a little chilly to hunt bare in the spring, I thought mid-summer would be more comfortable??? :sarcasm:

But don't worry the politicians will phone Bambi to come and take his friends home!

I'm sure all the local tree hugging politicians will be saying "Please bare with us"..... :whistling::rolleyes::rofl2:

That was about 30 years ago and she was seen hanging around just outside the Falcons Nest ... on a Thursday night (if memory serves)... but I managed to sneak out the back door ;)

Falcon's Nest was in Scarborough up the road from my old high school....memories

I think you may be thinking of Operators in the south end of Pickering off of Brock Rd........

Oh trust me .. it was definitely the Falcon's nest ... (I went to L'Am so I am familiar with that neck of the woods) ... and she was Definitely an EASTERN C-O-U-G-A-R !

But I escaped (narrowly) :) At least that's my story and I'm stickin to it :whistling:

I don't understand what the problem is. Someone saw a bear? Can you explain just what the problem is? If I had to relate everytime I've seen a bear to a political problem, I wouldn't have time for anything else.

Sounds like the problem lies in the fact that the bear was not afraid of the hikers. I've seen evidence of bears along the duffins watershed last season but I try to walk with my fishing bag that has hemostats and clippers attached to the side. I've heard that will usually alert the bear that somthing is approaching and scare the bear away. I might consider a can of bear mace though, just incase