Question to March/April boaters/fisherman.

archie_james_c

I've got my boat out of storage and plan on firing her up to fish Lake Superior this month and next for Lakers, bows, browns, etc. Is there any thing I need to know regarding my water pump icing up or anything? The last thing I want is to crack the block on my 2010 Honda... :canadian:

Before you leave the ramp.. put the motor ALL the way down and give it lots of time to drain before returning to the trailering position.

Next outing.. if still cold.. let it soak at the launch for a few minutes before firing it up.. in case there's any ice in the impellor.

Before you leave the ramp.. put the motor ALL the way down and give it lots of time to drain before returning to the trailering position.

Next outing.. if still cold.. let it soak at the launch for a few minutes before firing it up.. in case there's any ice in the impellor.

Thats what I figured Irish. I put it down and drain it after every outing. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt any quircky little things im over looking :thumbsup_anim:

You did not mention what size motor or better yet is the outboard a tiller steer or helm steering motor....I have had my helm steering motor freeze in place because of trailering it in very cold temps.....my solution was to pour lake water on the steering mech's at the motor end.....moisture gets into that area and well you know the rest....a few bucket full of lake water sure beats going around in circles once you push off from the dock...LOL.. :D

You'll have no probs archie. Just make sure you drain it each time, and make sure its peeing when you start it. My pee line will freeze sometimes, but my water pump is still cooling the motor. As long as I have hot water coming out my exaust, she's pumping. After a few minutes of running, the pisser will start flowing too. The water that comes out the pee line is just overflow, or an indicator.

You have nothing to worry about.

Play safe, its still cold out there.

S.