lightest trolling motor battery

ricoboxing

hey guys, I have a little 12 foot jon that I bought a min kota 45lb thrust to use as the main motor.

What would be the lightest deep cycle marine battery out there? I used to have on of those energizer ones and it weighed a ton.

I saw a smaller deep cycle marine batteries at walmart for $107, so I may go with that if I can't find anything else.

It's not that im a wimp and can't pickup a heavy battery, its because the weight capacity on my boat is only like 300 lbs.

thanks

I have a 10ft jon that I use my elec troller on,my battery is a Group 27 deep cycle.

It is heavy but weight has not been an issue in the boat.I think weight is "the nature of the beast" when it comes to deep cycle batteries.

I also haul this battery to my boat cache,I built a wooden box that holds it secure on the rack of my quad.

The battery lasts all day,but I allways top up the charge when I get home.

I think you will find a lighter battery may not last as long.

Guest LivingLegend

I have the optimal deep cycle no maint. battery in use on my stealth 14 kayak. Not to heavy and small enough to fit in rear storage. Downfall................. large cash$$!! yikes!

Have you considered a small gas motor? My 2.5 hp is much lighter than a battery.

yeah, i thought about getting one but when i saw the sale at lebarons for 149 for a minn kota 45lb thrust i had to get it. i use my boat mostly for duck hunting so having a trolling motor makes picking up decoys a whole lot easier. Im not gonna be trolling around the lake all day, so a smaller one is better for me.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, i thought about getting one but when i saw the sale at lebarons for 149 for a minn kota 45lb thrust i had to get it. i use my boat mostly for duck hunting so having a trolling motor makes picking up decoys a whole lot easier. Im not gonna be trolling around the lake all day, so a smaller one is better for me.

Rico, the weight difference isn't worth it. We're talking a couple pounds here. just get a 27series deep cycle and call it done. Mount it up front. You want to make sure you don't run out of juice, especially duck hunting! You never know what can happen out there!!!

S.

I used to buy sealed gel cell batteries at the Medical supplies store. The ones for wheelchairs and scooters were 33lbs. Look for a wheelchair repair store in your area. They will sell used ones that are still very good for a reasonable price. If you ask me you should have never sold your kayak :rolleyes:.

rico2.jpg

You can't have this much fun in a jon boat :thumbsup_anim: .

Wheel chair batteries get alot more use then you think. They are used daily and charged daily. They are removed from a wheel chair and being sold as used for a reason.

ricoboxing: if your ever in the Stoney Creek area I can give you the contact for a Interstate warehouse that sells refurbished batteries for about half the cost. By refurbished I mean they may have a nick on them. I use these refurbished batteries in all my cars and have not had a problem (they have been in use for years). They don't always have deep cycles, but you can always call before heading down to have them save one for you. Usually they have a truck come in every week if I remember correctly. They still give you 2 years warranty as well. Can't go wrong. If you got old batteries kicking around that are no good they will give you 5$ for each one.

Edited by Fish4Eyes