Too close for comfort

lew

One thing that I found really sad about this whole incident was the fact that NOBODY, except myself and the guy in the 2nd truck, stopped to see if everybody was OK. The over turned car was only 50' off the hiway and perfectly visible to the dozens of vehicles that went by in the 15 minutes I was there.

Lotsa folks are sqeamish or afraid of badly injured people and avoid accident scenes and that's understandable, but at least check to see if an ambulance has been called and if not, please do it yourself. Not everyone carries a cell phone and if nobody at the scene is able to call for help at least you could do that.

Something else you can do if you don't want to get involved with the injured is to offer blankets, especially in the winter, even if you have to just leave them there. Blankets are cheap and you could easily buy another one.

And please carry at least one fire extinguisher in your car. Again, you may not want to get involved but you can still give the extinguisher to someone else to use if needed. Again, their cheap but could definetely save someones life.

Maybe with me being a retired fireman I look at these situations differentely than many, but folks just have to learn to get involved sometimes and help others who are in very serious danger or badly injured.

Sorry for the early morning rant but it's terrible to hear of people dying because nobody wants to get involved.

Lew it happens way too often. What is sad is that people are so scared to get involved that they wouldn't even pick up the phone and dial 911

Lew, good to hear you weren't hurt. Had you been in a rush...... No shame in pulling over and catching a few zzzzzz's. I used to do it all the time when I was on the road more. Pull into a parking lot, put your seat back and take a snooze. Better that then wrapping yourself around a pole or worse, taking someone out.

Glad to hear you are OK Lew...That was a close one !

I read recently that the Monday after we change the clocks ahead is the worst day for accidents of this type...

I know it was Tuesday but I wonder if the same thing applied in this situation...hmmm

hmmmm ..... Never thought of a fire extinguisher for the trunk :unsure: ... lord knows I got EVERYTHING else in there .. axe, saw, flashlights, tire repair kits, blankets, warm clothes, comforter, water bottles, ropes, flares, tools, jumper cables, fishing gear, golf clubs, jeez if you ever saw Hoarders :jerry: ... my trunk is IT ... and every year when I empty her out I seem to find only one or two little pieces of paper that can be tossed .. EVERYTHING else goes right back in ther :dunno: ... but I guess now I got an excuse to cram just one more thing in there (just in case) - thanks Lew! :clapping:

But .. ya know what ... I have been lucky enough to be able to help out more than a few folks because I got the junk in the trunk .. and love to be able to do it.

Edited by camillj