Going back to School for a PSW

fishergirl72

Well Shawn and I have decided that coming this September, that I am going back to school. Our daughter will finally be in school full-time and now this is a perfect time to go back to school myself. I have made a decision to become a Personal Support Worker. I want to make a difference in people's lives and I really care about the elderly. I have always had dead-end minimum wage jobs that had no room for advancement. I wanted to know all there is to about this job, so I am asking anyone here for information of any kind relating to this job or advice that you have to offer me. I am really looking forward to going back to school and making something out of myself and making a positive difference in people's lives. :D

Hey Fishergirl, I don't have any personal experience myself, but my friend Steve's family has lots of them :) . From what I hear it is very rewarding, but, like lots of jobs/careers, they are grossly understaffed and overworked. All of the people I know work in either Simcoe or Huronia. From what I hear the pay can vary depending upon the facility you work at, some are fairly good, others not so, at least not at the start. If I'm not mistaken a few of them work in group home/hospital settings with those who are mentally challenged, not many of them, if any are in seniors homes. I do hear there is lots of room for advanceent for those willing to work for it.

Not much I know, but I hope it helps. Oh, go for every bit of training they offer, the more you have sometimes the more you can earn.

Maureen

Hey Fishergirl, I don't have any personal experience myself, but my friend Steve's family has lots of them :) . From what I hear it is very rewarding, but, like lots of jobs/careers, they are grossly understaffed and overworked. All of the people I know work in either Simcoe or Huronia. From what I hear the pay can vary depending upon the facility you work at, some are fairly good, others not so, at least not at the start. If I'm not mistaken a few of them work in group home/hospital settings with those who are mentally challenged, not many of them, if any are in seniors homes. I do hear there is lots of room for advanceent for those willing to work for it.

Not much I know, but I hope it helps. Oh, go for every bit of training they offer, the more you have sometimes the more you can earn.

Maureen

Thank you very much Maureen, and yes that does help me. I heard that it is a VERY rewarding job. And yes I know that there are even PSW positions in homes for the mentally challanged and the handicap, and even in hospitals. I know there is alot to learn through the course, it is to be expected. I think that the senior homes here in Durham you can start at 15.00 an hour. And I am that type of person, if there is extra training that can be done and it is offered, I go for it.

Thanks again Maureen! :D

Julie, My Daughter has been a PSW for 4 years now since she left High School and according to her, she loves it. Very rewarding and the satisfaction she has is that she cares and she has been told that she is good and does make a difference to those that she deals with... The residence at the Nursing Home she has been at for 4 years just love her to death... Yes I am Proud of my Daughter :worthy: My Niece is a Registered Nurse at the Hamilton General and is always cutting her down because that is something she herself would not do.. Won't get into it as she has been told off by their Grand Parents that it takes a better person to do the job for kindness and compassion not just the pay cheque. If this is what you want to do Julie,,,"" You go girl"" the rewards and satisfaction will speak for themselves... Both my wife and myself and her Grand Parents are very proud of her... By the way " she is only 23 years old"

well depends on what job you take

if you get a job helping Seniors in their home, it could be anything from cleaning cooking bathing and keeping them company

in a retirement home, dragging them out of bed ,dressing them change their diapers (thats where the depends comes in LOL)

washing them dragging them down to the rec room and lunch room feeding them...then on the psyc ward you deal with many disorders from alzheimer's to Dementia and just plain mean old farts........

my wife was a PSW till a few months ago went she passed her RPN test and is now a nurse in the same retirement home she has worked in for years and she loves her work............but I don't understand why

Julie, My Daughter has been a PSW for 4 years now since she left High School and according to her, she loves it. Very rewarding and the satisfaction she has is that she cares and she has been told that she is good and does make a difference to those that she deals with... The residence at the Nursing Home she has been at for 4 years just love her to death... Yes I am Proud of my Daughter :worthy: My Niece is a Registered Nurse at the Hamilton General and is always cutting her down because that is something she herself would not do.. Won't get into it as she has been told off by their Grand Parents that it takes a better person to do the job for kindness and compassion not just the pay cheque. If this is what you want to do Julie,,,"" You go girl"" the rewards and satisfaction will speak for themselves... Both my wife and myself and her Grand Parents are very proud of her... By the way " she is only 23 years old"

Wow, thanks Loonietoon! Good for your daughter!!!!! And I agree, that it DOES take a better person to do the job for compassion and kindness and not just the paycheque! I do have alot of compassion, kindess, understanding and respect for others and I know that I would take my job VERY seriously. I don't care really about the pay, I care more about the people and the satisfaction on knowing that I am making a POSITIVE difference and bringing joy and putting a smile on people's faces. I have been told that I have a big heart for other people. Reading what you wrote to me, just makes it even more clear to me, that THIS is what I want to do with my life, and I would be very proud doing it!

Thank you again Loonietoon! :thumbsup_anim:

well depends on what job you take

if you get a job helping Seniors in their home, it could be anything from cleaning cooking bathing and keeping them company

in a retirement home, dragging them out of bed ,dressing them change their diapers (thats where the depends comes in LOL)

washing them dragging them down to the rec room and lunch room feeding them...then on the psyc ward you deal with many disorders from alzheimer's to Dementia and just plain mean old farts........

my wife was a PSW till a few months ago went she passed her RPN test and is now a nurse in the same retirement home she has worked in for years and she loves her work............but I don't understand why

Thank you Terry, and yes I have thought about what was involved regarding this job. I have alot of patience when it comes to other people and I have had alot of experience working with the public. I have worked at a bar so I can put up with alot of crap.LOL. (no pun intended)LOL. Way to go for your wife! :thumbsup_anim: And that shows me there is alot of room for advancment. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks again Terry!

I have a few aquaintences that have their PSW. I would suggest that you target working with groups that have long term growth (seniors) and not focus on what may be percieved as short term excitement....and burnout (eg. working with young offenders has a very high burnout rate). I would also suggest to begin putting together the pieces and related skills to move up the ranks.....beyond the floor staff role. Down the road it can all pay off. Good luck.

outdoorguy61

I have a few aquaintences that have their PSW. I would suggest that you target working with groups that have long term growth (seniors) and not focus on what may be percieved as short term excitement....and burnout (eg. working with young offenders has a very high burnout rate). I would also suggest to begin putting together the pieces and related skills to move up the ranks.....beyond the floor staff role. Down the road it can all pay off. Good luck.

outdoorguy61

Thanks Outdoorguy61! My mind is set at starting at senior's homes. Thank you very much :thumbsup_anim: I will keep in mind on what you said. Thank you again

Edited by fishergirl72

hello my wife has been a PSW for 4 years now and she loves it .She works with handycap people she likes it better there the nursing homes.But nusing home pay alot better the group homes about $2 more an hour here . the only thing is alot of it is only part time work nobody wants to hire full time .Good luck

My daughter, TheBigKid, has been driving seniors around Etobicoke for a while on a volunteer basis. They love her, of course (who wouldn't), and they become quite attached to each other as many of these folks have no appreciable support from other people.

Then they die. That is the thing that is the real cost of this kind of work. You gotta know that going in, and work your brain around to the place that says you were there for them when they needed someone most.

Good Luck, FisherGirl. We need more folks like you. Thanks.

My sister in law in Nova Scotia went back to school after many years in a hated job and took the PSW course. She's been out working now for about a year in a nursing home. After a little adjustment time she now says that it was the best move she could have made and really enjoys her job.

Best of luck to you.

hello my wife has been a PSW for 4 years now and she loves it .She works with handycap people she likes it better there the nursing homes.But nusing home pay alot better the group homes about $2 more an hour here . the only thing is alot of it is only part time work nobody wants to hire full time .Good luck

Thanks bushman, yes it is even like that around here about people only hiring part-time :( , but from what I have been hearing that around Durham, it is very NEEDED here. Thank you very much for your input. Everybit helps me! :thumbsup_anim:

My daughter, TheBigKid, has been driving seniors around Etobicoke for a while on a volunteer basis. They love her, of course (who wouldn't), and they become quite attached to each other as many of these folks have no appreciable support from other people.

Then they die. That is the thing that is the real cost of this kind of work. You gotta know that going in, and work your brain around to the place that says you were there for them when they needed someone most.

Good Luck, FisherGirl. We need more folks like you. Thanks.

Thank you very much Doug :D and yes I did think about when you get attached to certain people, and when it is there time to go, I know that will be the hardest thing to go through. My problem is I get so attached to certain people, and when they go, I am heartbroken. But that is going to be part of my job, and I will have to deal with that. Alot of these people are SO lonely, and that is why I want this as a career, I want to fill that void and put a smile on their face and let them know that they are still a valueble member of this society and SOMEONE out there cares about them.

My sister in law in Nova Scotia went back to school after many years in a hated job and took the PSW course. She's been out working now for about a year in a nursing home. After a little adjustment time she now says that it was the best move she could have made and really enjoys her job.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you very much Caper! That is music to my ears! :thumbsup_anim::whistling:

Julie, :clapping: From your responses of what I have read and the responses you have received, you will have a pretty good idea as to what to expect. Believe me, I have seen a great change in my Daughter from what she has accomplished over the 4 yrs that she has been doing this. Just this morning we were sitting down to breakfast, (yes we get to do this every once in a while :thumbsup_anim: ) she said that she was considering going in for an RPN course. Just when I thought we were going to get rid of her :o:wallbash: Looks like she's going to be here for a while longer :dunno: God you got to love a kid that wants to do thing for herself :D

You will do very well in that career, you have the desire and passion as well as the ability to do good...

Good luck in what ever your decision is :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Hi Fishergirl...this is not duber but Duberswife.

I am a PSW and I do love my job. I have been a PSW for the past 10yrs. But have just gone back to work after having 6yrs off with our children.

I work in the homecare end of it and love the flexibility, I do not work any evenings or nights(thats dubers job). And I am home when the girls get off the bus.

I do find it very rewarding,and I have been told time and time again from ppl that they could not do my job,and that it takes a very compasionate,caring individual to be able to do the job.You can get the odd cranky one but the sweet elderly ones by far out weigh them.

Like douG said you have to be able to cope with the fact that they will pass away, or become more ill. But there are also the ones who have just had a surgery and you are there to help them until they are back on their feet and that too is a great feeling.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thank you very much for your help. The more I keep hearing about this job, the more I know I want to do this. I am very excited to be going back to school to earm my certificate. I will keep you in mind when I need questions answered and thank you again duber's wife. :thumbsup_anim: