6.6 vs 7.0 rod

commie

Looking to get a couple of new rods for this season....1 spinning and 1 baitcasting. Mainly for LM/SM bass fishing. The reels will be Curado 201E7 & StradicC4i..

My problem is that the rods have to be a 2 peice..So I am considering St. Croix Premier, Shimano Compres, TFO(anyone used TFO's?)

my question is, should I go with a 6.6 or 7.0 rod?

Longer rods are currently in fashion, but in practice there's not much difference.

If you are thinking about jerk baits, from a boat, the shorter rod might not hit the water as easily...

With spinning most of my Senko rods are under seven feet because I like a ML, for weightless worms.

The rods I liked were either 6'6" or 6'9"

for bass i have found that 6.6 works very well

one with a soft tip (lite to med) one (med to heavy)

versitile and worth the money!

once you you get the feel of them your ready .. for the gentle touch/ or the full on bite!

Since it will be a two piece I'd go longer almost for sure.

For most of us half a foot might not make much of a difference. What size of boat, if any, will you be fishing out of? I lean towards shorter rods in my canoe.

Another thing to look at if you are comparing rod length is how much "working" rod is there from the reel seat to the tip.

IMO if I were using line that is <8lb test I would use the 7' rod. Anything higher, the shorter rod would be my choice. Ultimately, I doubt it matters that much though. Assuming they were both medium power.

Edited by FishLogic

i also use 6 poud test for the soft bite and 8 for the full on bite

and yes i do fish heavy weeds and moderate hard cover..

i like to keep it simple/no swivels /streight tie in to lure or live bait.

i just hope the pike are sleeping. biggrin.gif

Personally the only techniques I would recommend a <7' rod for would be fishing topwaters and jerkbaits. A short rod makes it easier for most people to impart the proper action for these techs. For all other techs I would recommend 7' and greater. With a longer rod you can cast further, more easily Control your bait in heavy cover and have more Control over the fish.

Looking to get a couple of new rods for this season....1 spinning and 1 baitcasting. Mainly for LM/SM bass fishing. The reels will be Curado 201E7 & StradicC4i..

My problem is that the rods have to be a 2 peice..So I am considering St. Croix Premier, Shimano Compres, TFO(anyone used TFO's?)

7' for bass has become standard as above accept for jerk baits, top water and dock skipping. The longer rod will increase casting distance, give more leverage to pull big big out of the weeds and trees and help to control fish at the boats when they try and run under the boat. I am not too sure what rods if any are available in 2 piece 7 footers.

It also depends on what type of fishing you are going to use the rods for...

It really depends on what type of fishing you're going for when it comes to bass there is so many options. Generally if your using a baitcasting reel anything over 7' is good. And for the spinning if your putting a Stradic Cl4. I would go with something around 6'8" or 6'6 ML to M with extra fast tip thats what I use for bass fishing, Seeing as the main highlight of that reel is its weight, strength and sensitivity. PM me for any more questions.

Chris

Edited by Live2fish85

Personally the only techniques I would recommend a <7' rod for would be fishing topwaters and jerkbaits. A short rod makes it easier for most people to impart the proper action for these techs. For all other techs I would recommend 7' and greater. With a longer rod you can cast further, more easily Control your bait in heavy cover and have more Control over the fish.

What he said

I have spent the last few months figuring out what rod to pair up with a Pflueger Patriarch. I've had trouble finding a two piece rod that is light enough to match up with the reel. The compre spinning rod has a split grip and an exposed grip, something that I like. The St. Coix avid makes a few 7ft two piece rods, but I haven't been able to fins one in a store. I imaging BPS may have them.

I would advise against a Temple Fork rod as the blank is rather heavy and would not match up well with a CI4 IMO.

Fenwick also makes a seven foot two piece rod, I think it's the tout series.

Thanks for all the responses...

I think I have narrowed down my spinning rod to the St. Croix Avid(AVS70MF2) for $200USD or the St. Croix Avid(AVS70ULM2) for $180USD. (I am buying this in the US, as I work there during the week and fly home on the weekends).

My problem is finding a 2 peice baitcasting rod to go with my Curado201...There really is not many options out there....Might go with the St. Croix Premier 6.6(PC66MF2) for $120USD. How is that compared to the Shimano Compre6.10MH? Found Gagnon Sports carrying that one in 2 peice for $110 CDN.

I need 2 peice for the ease of transportation. I don't have my own boat, and when i fish, usually its on tin-can rentals, or buddies' 16/18 footers. It'll be tough trying to fit a 1 peice in my car.

I currently have 2 Sahara's with 6.6 shimano Clarus, that I mostly use for Texas rigs, Senkos, jigging, dropshotting, spinners. Already got the Curado201E during a sale last month(paid $140USD) and will be ordering the Stradic Ci4 for $199.

Looking to add the baitcaster(my first) for some cranks...

Edited by commie

I have a rapala r-type 6'8" MH exra fast rod that I like a lot. I think you can only buy these rods in Canada. I would consider the Compre as I think they have a 20$ mail in rebate right now and come with a lifetime warranty.

I would go with the AVS70MF2 for a spinning rod, the medium action will make it a better all round rod. You could also consider the AVS66LF2 as it is lighter, but is not restricting you ultra light presentations.

I wouldn't worry about putting a 1 peice rod in a car if you have fold down seats it's real easy to put them in and out of the car if not get a rod sleeve like the rod glove to protect your tip's, 1 peice feel way better than 2 IMO.I would also consider going with a MH fast action rod rather that the Mediums I really don't think anything lighter is needed for bass fishing unless your using less than 8lb test line. I run 20lb braid with a 8lb flouro leader on a 7'MH fast action for smallies drop shotting and never have a problem I also hauled LMB out of the weeds all day long on the same set up one day last year, prolly 20 bass without 1 break off. it's all personal preference but I think the lighter action rods aren't needed for bass fishing but thats just my opinion.

I find that using a larger rod for bigger fish(Pike/ Musky) tends to be more efficient than a smaller rod. More back bone gives less leverage on the the line.

I prefer between the 6'6 and 6'9 at best, but my musky and pike rods are anywhere from 7'0-8'0

I agee, I've got a Cumara Med 6'8 for my CI4 and it works wonders, but like many others I've got a 1 piece. The G.Loomis is a good selection.

I was interested in getting a Cumara rof for my core, how do you like it?

I tried both St. Croix Premier and Shimano Compre spinning rods, and in the end got a 1-piece 7' St. Croix Premier medium power rod. Both rods weigh pretty much the same and have nice tip action, except that St. Croix Premier's tip action was a little more controlled. I also tried Abu Garcia's rods, and they were all too stiff. The positive thing I found about them is they look cool, but I'm not looking to win the award for the prettiest rod, but to catch fish. :) Hold the Verdict in one hand and St. Croix Premier or Shimano Compre in the other and you'll see a major difference in sensitivity. If you're looking for a good spinning reel, Pflueger has some nice new models which are very lightweight.

I don`t know if you are familiar with okuma rods but you should have a look at them, i know they offer a couple of 2 piece rods at great prices, i have been using their rods for about 4 years now and havent looked back. have a look at these rods

okuma reflexions 6`6 m action casting rod

okuma evx ``a`` specialty rod 7` m action spinning.

I guess I'd better start using my ice rods for the open water.

Yep, if what you want is leverage. A longer rod is giving the fish a longer lever, while the anglers lever (roughly the handle, but it is variable) stays the same. It's amazing to me how many pro anglers still push longer rods as giving them "more leverage in thick cover".