Regs Question?

express168

My brother is going to Onaping Lake just north of Sudbury this spring and he asked me a question that I am not sure of. The camp owner told him that the lake borders district 18 and 19. The north part of the lake has an all year open season on smallmouth but the south half is closed until the 4th Saturday in June. He was wondering if he caught a smallmouth on the north side and kept it, then while returning to the camp which is on the closed side is stopped by a CO with the bass in his possession could he encounter some troubles.Although he caught it on the open side he is now on the closed side with it in his possession trying to prove to a CO that he caught it on the open side :whistling: . Any opinions? And he asked if anybody has any info about the lake he would appreciate it. Thanks.

yeah if they stop you they can and have been known to give people a hard time over closed season in the same area and different limits too.....the best thing to do is to take a picture of the fish with a known background...but they will not try to charge you, they just like to flex their muscles

My suggestion is to have a map with you, a good quality one. If the CO happens to come by, point to the exact area on the map you caught the fish. If he questions you further, testing you, it should not be a problem for you to say the exact same thing again, and again. The CO will test you for sure.

Once he, or she is convinced, you are on your way, with a "have a nice day", or "good luck in the future" response.

I just fished for lake trout today, in a neighbouring district which is still open, and which we caught lakers in. But, if we ran into a CO checkpoint on our way back, in our district,(which is closed for lakers) we would have to be totally above board, and explain to him or her, where we caught them, without any waffling about where we were. Give exact details of location, tell them how you fished for them, what lures used, etc. etc.

Honesty is the best policy.

The CO will be aware of the regs and as long as your buddy can tell him where he caught it, it will be fine. There are several areas in Ontario where one water body has different seasons of different limits. I know a few spots where walleye are open all year and three feet away they are closed Feb till May.

I have the same issue on Lake Temagami. I can fish Lake Trout from Jan 1 to Sept 30th on Cross lake (Div 18)... which is joined and navigable to Lake Temagami (Div 26)....yet lakers are closed from Mar 15th until Pickeral opener in May on Temagami. If I run down there during the first couple weeks of May and catch a laker I could be doing a lot of talking if pulled over on the way back during the 27 miles or so to my cottage. Worse than that...having neighbours see you get out of the boat with a couple lakers on a stinger and accuse you of being a poacher.... Solution...I fish for pike during those two weeks instead.

The lake is about 48 miles long apparantly, so he would have a 20 mile run before getting into the open district. I told him why waste the time for some bass when there will be plenty of walleye , pike and lake trout water to fish. But thanks for the replies.