Carp gear purchase...

tonyb

I am curious where the Carp folks purchase their equipment in the GTA. I would like to purchase 2 entire setups for this year (Rods, rod pods, bite alarms, net, baitrunner reels, etc)

I think I will get the baitrunner 4500 reels from cabelas (109.99) but rods and rod pods are pretty large items and I imagine the shipping costs would be pretty high.

I know Fishing World in Hamilton carries a pretty good selection of Carp gear, but I found they were rather pricey.

Could you please help me out by recommending some different shops?

Thanks,

Tony

Fish on Line carry carp stuff and they will order for you if what you are looking for isn't in stock. The store is on Jane, slightly north of Lawrence.

I've ordered some stuff from the states as well, from this store: http://www.wackerbaits.com You'll find a lot more stuff there, and the service has been great (I had to return a bite alarm once, and encountered no hassle).

Some more on-line carping stores: http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/carplinks.html

When you're looking at that kinda investment, by the time you run around, buy a reel here, rod there, buzzer someplace else, order a pod, sight unseen (most places will want cash up front for special orders) and take into consideration your gas money & time, even if Fishing World IS a few bucks more, in the long run you'll be better off. I've bought about $3000.00+ in carp gear from Mike Jackson, even had a couple misunderstandings with him . . . but things were ALWAYS altered to my liking! Check Wackerbaits & Cabellas, get some prices, add your shipping charges, duty & difference in U. S. money, then take your list to Mike . . . . my bet is, he'll be VERY close! I know of no other 'one-stop' carp gear place anyhere in Ontario. I just checked out a 4500 Baitrunner & 6000 Stradic at several American sites (THIS Stradic was not available here) then called Mike . . . . YUP! He was more expensive . . . by about $20.00, on a $400.00+ order . . . but, if something happens this stuff, I KNOW I'll be taken care of. (I'm sure if I'da told Mike it was for my poor old widowed mother to use, he'd likely chopped the $20.00 off . . . I don't begrudge him making a profit!) Try them, I'm SURE they can come up with a deal you'll like!

Hmm, I worked out the cost of 2 Shimano Baitrunner 4500 reels with shipping and the $ U.S. to $CAN conversion and it works out to $274 Canadian (Before Tax) from Cabelas.com

2 x Shimano Baitrunner 4500 reels from Fishing world = $360 (Before Tax)

That is $86 savings on just the reels, let alone everything else. There is something to be said about convenience, but only if price margins are within a reasonable amount.

I don't understand why local retailers can't be more competitive, it's difficult to not be drawn to significant savings from non-local retailers when you work hard for your money. Especially when it gets delivered right to your doorstep.

Tony

Finally there's something that i know and can help :)

There is actually quite a few tackle store aronud the area that carries carp gear, some of them has already been mentioned

1) Fishing World in Hamilton

2) FishOnLine

3) Angling Specialties

4) Fishing Sport near Bathrust/Finch (fellow OFC wolfville told me about)

And there are a few online ones, these are all N.A. stores as shipping from Europe is always expensive, just type it in google and you should be able to find their page.

1) wackerbait

2) scorpian tackle

3) resistance tackle

4) royal carp

5) big carp tackle (online store ran by american carp society)

I've recently bought myself a carp setup and from my experiences, where to go depends on what you're looking for...

If you're looking for shimano rods i'd say check out fishing world, they have all their carp rods 50% off and from what i've been hearing they are amazing for the money (i own one but i haven't used it enough to be able to comment on it yet).

For rod pods, you might have to shop around for a bit as the tackle stores in and around GTA only carry Fox horizon, stalker and a nash one i think, not alot of option there.

As for alarms, eBay might be a good idea if you don't like the models they have here since alarms are light/small so they won't cost you alot for shipping.

If you need more help let me know, good luck!

Victor

If youre considering Ebay, I'd say only buy the pod/rod/reel from ebay , because each of these contraptions are literally bulletproof !! I couldn't break my Carp rod if I tried , and could only break my pod if I stepped on it , and the reel , well , it is just a solid work horse that will serve you for many years . I am referring to the Shimano Alivio , Shimano Baitrunner , and the Fox A-Pod (All Fox pods are great).

The alarms are quite fragile (drop, water spill, etc.) , and I would suggest you buy them new , or used from somebody you know , as they are more likely to break.

If I don't go carping soon I'm gonna put all my carp gear up for sale !! BRING ON SUMMER !!

BTW , instead of a pod , consider getting bank sticks , an alternative that costs a fraction of the price .

AND , if you have a U.s. address that you can ship the stuff to , and pick it up from there when you go to visit relatives or what not, or when they come over to visit, it's quite worthwhile.

so what would be the consensus ona cheap starter pod like this here... http://americancarpsociety.com/store/produ...=289&page=1

will use it for catfishing a dozen times a year, i don't carp fish so i obviously do'nt need the best and will be getting a DAM Pro*tronic alarm to go with it... think it'll be a cheap easy rig for me that will work well :) .... have a US address so shipping/duty generally doesn't affect me any :P

I've never used them but "Carpins.ca" has good customer reviews. A little pricey on a few items though IMO.

www.carpins.ca

Banksticks are my favourite to use...But if you're fishing concrete walls, you're pretty much stuck to using a pod.

Get to know a few people from the UK...They can smuggle a few items with them when they come over on vacation - No shipping fees required :thumbsup_anim: .

There are lots of cheap alternatives to Euro-carp-gear . The bells and whistles just give a SLIGHT but not very significant edge , and are more comfortable .

A baitrunner is far from a necessiry . A spinning reel with its drag loosened up works just as well . Loosen up the drag , wait for it to start screaming , set the hook with your thumb on the spool , and THEN slowly tighten up and fight the fish !

A carp rod is also not necessary . I still use , as my spare rod an 8 foot saltwater surf rod with an up to 3 OZ casting strength and a very slow tip . I casted many-a-doughball with that rod , and still do to this day when I take somebody fishing . Oh yeah , and the best thing is that it was $5 at the spring fishing show two years ago ! Ha

Instead of getting a pod , you can build something like this :

tripod1.jpg

tripod2.jpg

tripod3.jpg

tripod4.jpg

I was at fishonline the other day. Maybe two weeks back. The store on jane. One of the guys offered me a package of used carp gear.

1) Fox Rod Pod holds 2 rods

2) 2 buzzers made by Fox and illumintaing swing arms.

3) bait rod

4) case for the pod

5) case for the buzzers

6) forgot if any fox rods where in the deal you'll have to ask. And baitrunner.

All for Under $300 bucks If your interested call them first and ask for Chris. I turned it all down. I don't want to carry all that grear. I like to travel light. My shoulders are hurting me now. Not sure if it was from last year though.

Great Deal though!!

This is Used equipment !!!

dsn

Edited by dsn

Thanks guys!

Can't wait to have a complete carp set-up that I can just grab and go in the summer evenings.

Tony

Hmm....another one of us ;)

I started carp fishing last year and I told myself not to get any of those toys. Today, after less than 12 months, I have a pod, bank sticks, 3 alarms, 4 bite indicators, a few carp rods of different kinds.... Imagine what you will have a year later if you are buying the whole set at the beginning.

None of the above is necessary for carp fishing, but they do make it more fun for me. I question myself very often that wether I enjoy the bite alarm screaming more or landing a 20lb fish....

The point is to have fun and learn to respect the nature, with any equipment you deem necessary.

You got it wolfville. You CAN get by with other gear (and I have plenty that is up to the task) but I enjoy the modern carp fishing methods. One trip is all it took to get me hooked!

img0099largeub2.jpg

Won't be long now!

Tony

Can't afford all those new gadgets...this is what I use...

7 ft. Medium Ugly Stik spinning rod

Zebco6 Cardinal (Saltwater) spinning reel with large capacity spool

Berkly XT 17 lb. test mono.

20 inch horshoe pitching steel stake

36 inch (2 inch outside diameter) pvc pipe

Hammer stake firmly into ground on a slight angle towards area you are going to fish, slip pvc pipe over stake, cast out then insert handle of rod into pipe, take all slack out of line until the rod bends slightly,make sure drag is set a bit on the loose side, sit back and keep an eye on rod tip, let carp run with bait before lifting rod out of holder...most times it will set the hook itself...Haven't lost a rod to the carp gods since using this method...Crappieperchhunter's wife got a good laugh outta him and I jumping down a bank chasing after my rod before I started using this holder...

As mentioned earlier...this doesn't work very well on cement piers and Big Cliff doesn't like me to hammer stakes into his dock... :whistling::angel:

Edited by Beans

??????????????? what the heck do you need all this freaky carp gear for i catch them on my normal everyday fishing gear and i garuntee(sic) you fishing side by side with all of the fancy crap you have and using my everyday crap using the same bait you arent going to catch more then me better ways to spend money

even though im half british I see no need to fish the european way

save your money

JUST MY 2 CENTS

??????????????? what the heck do you need all this freaky carp gear for i catch them on my normal everyday fishing gear and i garuntee(sic) you fishing side by side with all of the fancy crap you have and using my everyday crap using the same bait you arent going to catch more then me better ways to spend money

even though im half british I see no need to fish the european way

save your money

JUST MY 2 CENTS

You are right, and I could also use a 6 foot bass rod to catch Steelhead, but I don't.

The point is, if you haven't experienced Carp fishing with all the "freaky Carp gear" then you can't compare. I don't disagree that you could catch just as many Carp on any other outfit (If they are close to shore), but similarly, I could catch Steelhead on a bass outfit, it's just not as enjoyable.

Like a mechanic, my rods (and reels) are my tools, and I have a specific rod for each specific fishing situation, with some rods being more general purpose (like an adjustable wrench)

It's pretty cool using the modern Carp fishing methods though, when I get my set-ups (Yes I am buying 2 - Carp fishing is a social activity :) ) you should come out and try it.

Tony

UPDATE: I just visited Fishing World in Hamilton and they didn't have too many 2.75lb TC rods (1 Shimano Tribal @ $400) Also, they didn't have the pod I was hoping to get. It looks like I will be piecing together my set-up from different vendors.

what wolfville said.

None of the above is necessary for carp fishing, but they do make it more fun for me. I question myself very often that wether I enjoy the bite alarm screaming more or landing a 20lb fish....

The point is to have fun and learn to respect the nature, with any equipment you deem necessary.

tonyb: not sure if you know this already but shimano aren’t bringing any more carp rods to Canadaso what’s left in the stores are the last batch. I believe the Tribals are $199 @ FW as all carp rods are half priced. (originally priced at $399)

From your rod pod post on CAG seems like you’ve decided to get the Horizon? I was look at that and the Prologic Tripod not too long ago. If you have trouble finding a place that carries them, try Big Carp Tackle (American carp society store). I exchanged a few emails with the manager asking about shipping, got pretty good customer service and the price seems to be reasonable.