Help With Line Selection

Phranchise

Hello All,

I need everyone's expert advice. Just picked up a new outfit for the year. 6 6 medium fast st croix mojo topwater/jerkbait rod paired with a 200e7. I am torn over what kind of line to put on it because I need it to be versatile as I only have 4 setups that I use. A 7ft heavy action casting setup for heavy cover stuff, a 7 ft mh casting setup for med-large crankbaits, carolina rigging, spinnerbaits, jigs etc, a 7 ft medium spinning outfit for the finesse stuff and now this new combo. I plan on using it for jerkbaits, topwaters (nothing bigger than a spook junior) small 1/8-1/4 ounce jigs and probably some smaller 1/4 ounce crankbaits. I know I can't have the benefits of fluorocarbon because I want to fish topwater with it so....I am thinking:

10 lb mono

12 lb mono

or

30 lb braid with an optional 8 lb leader

Also wanted to pick everyone's brains on your favorite "bang for buck" monos. Used P-line Fluroclear (Copolymer) all last year with o.k results (noticed poor abrasion resistance) but thinking about trying something different.

Thanks everyone!

If you want to go mono, I would have to go with Toray Bravo. 12lb test. This line will last you a long time.

Marvin could you recommend a more obscure line? :lol:

These guys currently have some wicked deals on monofilament line:

http://www.overstockbait.com/

For the rod/reel you're asking about I'd probably go with 20 or 30lb Power Pro and a suitable leader.

If you want a line for all arounfd use then Mono would be the choice. If you want for just for topwater, LC has a hollow core Mono line that the buoyancy is outta this world, The strenght is very good as well. You just have to be carefull when making knots to do so without any heat friction. Toray for mono is the best, not a better mono out there. Sorry, I have tested som many its distugsting. I have been testing the same batch of Toray mono for going on 4 seasons without changing it what so ever. Braid is good for topwater but remember it needs to be on a lighter more forgiving rod with a nice parabolic action as never to pull hooks. Use a somewhat stretchy mono leadwer and your good to go. Floro sucks for topwater because of the sink rate.

You couldn't trick me into going back to mono. I have a couple of spools of flouro I'll try with jerk baits this year, though.

I use 15 lb braid for top water with 1 ft titanium leaders (when walking the dog), and 15 to 30lb, depending on the size of the jerk baits I'm using. The 15 is fine enough that it doesn't affect the bouancy of the lures I use.

I find I get so much more feel with braid that when I use mono, everything just feels numb. Just my opinion....

Edited by backbay

wow fast responses thanks guys

I think my main concern is I need a line that will be good for "both" topwater and jerkbaits. Mono is be good for topwater but not for jerkbaits because of the stretch and lack of feel. Fluorocarbon is out of the question because it sinks and I have heard that braid will rip out treble hooks. However at this point I think I am leaning towards the braid and if I have problems with tearing out any hooks I can always add a stretchy mono leader.

do a quick search on OFC for a post about the new Sufix 832 braided line; it might be just what you are after. I think Aaron and Garry2r's had a good chat about it not that long ago.

*edit* to add the link to the post I mentioned... Sufix 832 post

Edited by GBW

Everbody has a opinion and to each his own so here is my expert scientific comment braid sucks and flourocarbon sucks just as much!!! :tease:

I have tried both on numerous ocassion and I have always been less than happy with the results, a backlash is a rare when I use mono but when I use braid it seems to happen much more often.

I still like good ole Stren or Trilene.

For general purposes I like the braid backing with fluoro leader. The longer the leader the more stretch you get and with braid you'll have to lighten up on the drag a bit is all. You can adjust quickly by adding a thiner or thicker leader as you need it.

I'm not a hardcore bass guy though. I mostly just use a "general purpose" setup for fish under 20lbs.

Some good suggestions have already been mentionedgood.gif

wow fast responses thanks guys

I think my main concern is I need a line that will be good for "both" topwater and jerkbaits. Mono is be good for topwater but not for jerkbaits because of the stretch and lack of feel. Fluorocarbon is out of the question because it sinks and I have heard that braid will rip out treble hooks. However at this point I think I am leaning towards the braid and if I have problems with tearing out any hooks I can always add a stretchy mono leader.

I personally like briad with mono leader for top water. I find that "lighter" braid (less than 30 lbs) doesnt retain as much water as heavier braid so it is servicable for top water. The mono leader will prevent the hooks from fouling while walking the dog and working a popper and will also give you some stretch so you dont rip the hooks out of the fishes mouth. Also if you want to fish jerkbaits then you could just snip off of the mono leader.

Edited by Whitemikeca

Braid lasts a long time and in the end can be a lot cheaper than mono. On my spinning reels I've never needed more than 75 yards of braid. Thats 4 spools from 300 yards. If after a season, or 3, I get concerned about the line I'll just put it on another spool. Basically "flipping" the used end of the line for the unused end. That's 8 spools from 300 yards and multiple seasons. I still use mono, but that same 300 yards gets only 4 spools and I don't use mono that is a year old.

I like what I've read about 382 and will be trying it this year. Only time will tell if it works for me.