Just had to shake my head...

manitoubass2

Yup kids do stupid stuff and they learn from it, it's the only way. We've all had our experiences, too bad in their case it could actually result in death.

I remember climbing to the top of a crab apple tree around that age and started swinging back and forth on the top branch. It was all fun until the branch broke and I fell through all the little twigs landing on the bottom branch right between the legs. It was the worst nutshot you could imagine. At least I've had 1 kid so far so I know that department still works but I learned a lesson or two that day.

I remember climbing to the top of a crab apple tree around that age and started swinging back and forth on the top branch. It was all fun until the branch broke and I fell through all the little twigs landing on the bottom branch right between the legs. It was the worst nutshot you could imagine. At least I've had 1 kid so far so I know that department still works but I learned a lesson or two that day.

:rofl2: wow, that made me laugh! Glad you are ok!

Seen a buddy do the same but on a pine tree....he landed on the ground tho... :blink:

Edited by TDunn

we all live and learn and play around stuff we shouldnt its a part of growing up, those responses saying we grew up just fine should feel fortunate, i have personally lost a friend in moving water in the winter time and it has changed my ideas on live and learn. live and learn works only if your alive.

kudos to you manitou i can see if you gave them crap for for something harmless but in this case i'm glad someones looking out for others youngens when a busy parent doesnt have the time.

The kids may not have realized the danger, maybe after your introvention they now understand. This is the same as parents allowing todlers to run across a busy store parking lot by themselves where they are too small to see from out the rear window of a car, van or a truck. Parents are probably the type who haven't the foggiest clue or care what the kids are up to as long as they aren't bothering them.

This takes me back to when I was a kid. My father told me to not venture out onto the icebanks that sometimes develop on this end of L. Ont. because of the cracks and instability of the huge chunks of ice. I never did go out onto them. Seen others do it and I cringe.

Exactly.

I can't believe some of the responses here.

I don't hover over my kids and mollycoddle them, neither does my wife. They get plenty of freedom.

If one or both of them happened to wander onto dangerous ice like that, near flowing water no less, I can only hope someone like Manitou would be there to stop them.

So I guess it's safe to say that those of you who didn't see anything wrong with the kids doing that, would have said and done nothing if in Manitou's place? :rolleyes:

Good for you Manitou, you might have saved a kids life.

Lost a cousin years ago, 12-13 year old kids riding their bikes on a frozen river, kids don`t generally think.

Wow, some of these responses are a little "out there"

I have a nine year old son, he leaves the house, goes out to play with his friends and I'll bet I don't know 1/2 the things he does. All I can do is hope I have taught him to make good decisions. If not I hope there are people out there like Manitou to kick him in the ass when he needs it.

Good for you man.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/106418--family-mourns-7-year-old-who-drowned-in-lake-ontario

Here is a story about a recent tragedy where some kids ventured onto some ice while not appreciating the dangers that were present.

“Everybody in the neighbourhood knew him we all kind of keep an eye out for everybody’s kids and it definitely – it’s a tragedy.”