I have $400 in BPS gift cards........

ckrb2007

I have received $400.00 in gift cards from family at x-mas and my b-day. What multi-purpose spinning rod and reel would you get? I'm leaning towards a Stradic reel but appreciate other opinions. I'm stuck on a rod though?!??!

Appreciate the feedback everyone!!

Colin

Oh the choices. Figure out what it is you are going to use it for. A rod that works for crankbaits, would not be a great jig rod for example. If you are looking for a rod that will do many things it might be a bit harder to pick one.

What other rods do you have?

Are you replacing your main rod, or are you diversifying?

What do you fish for?

How do you fish? Shore, boat, casting, trolling, still, bait?

You may want to pick a rod and then pick the reel, or at least the size.

If you are just starting to build a arsonal of tackle you might consider a 2500 size stradic (since you mentioned it already) and two rods in the $100 range.

The reel will last and you can upgrade the rods later.

I would wait until the spring sale that bps has in March. There will be rods on sale and reels can get a discount if you bring in a old reel for trade in.

For reels I would look at the shimano stradic (CI4 or FI) 2500 and the pflueger supreme xt and patriarch 9530. For rods I would look at the st croix avid and the shimano crucial I am partial to 7'. Medium power should cover most species. Mix and match to see what you feels right. If you wanted some money left over BPS offers the Stradic FI and the Supreme XT paired up with a house brand carbonlite rod that seems to be nice.

Edited by fishgreg

Great information so far guys! I appreciate it. I'm basically looking for an all 'round, multi-species rod, thinking a 7' rod and 2500 series reel. I'm not one of those guys who has 15 different rod/reel combos. I have a fairly good baitcaster and a few lower end spinning combos so I was looking to get a good spinning rod and reel set-up. I do fish a lot in the kawarthas for walleye and bass.

Thanks again for the input!

Colin

lol its kinda pointless asking for opinions on what rod or reel to get.... too many guys have a hard-on for shimano and all u get are bias opinions from shimano guys

I think that is a kind of unfair statement. While I do find that there is a bias towards shimano products here, it is for good reason. With the proximity to the Peterborough office, and a reputation for quality. While they may not be the best choice for everyone they should be considered and compared by people looking to purchase new equipment. If the poster was looking for less expensive gear I would point him towards some less expensive gear. On that note I would compare a rapala r-type rod and reel to the more expensive gear and see what you like. A combo of that sort would be about half the cost and may suit your needs. The one thing I will say is don't just get a stradic because people on this forum tell you too. Look at all the gear in your price range a buy what feels good in your hand.

Well said fishgreg. After reading the posts thus far, and one in particular, I'm now leaning towards getting one good spinning reel and a couple semi-good rods. I understand my question was kind of in the same boat of "what truck is better....ford, chevy or dodge".....but I'm just looking for opinions, options and ideas.

Keep the "ideas" coming guys...you're helping me out a lot!

Colin

this might not be helpful but i wouldn't put that much money into a spinning combo. while i love my stradics, i get equivalent, or at least good enough performance from reels like a sedona for half the money. inexpensive med light spinning rods have great feel and are less trouble to maintain, or pitch if they break. i put the bigger dollars into baitcasting setups where it seems to matter more. but hey, a stradic with a compre/crucial setup would be a nice way to use the gift card!

A 7 foot, medium power, fast action St.Croix Legend Tournament Bass series rod- 220$

Daiwa Tierra 2500 reel- 149$ ish

OR for the Loomis guys...

Loomis IMX Spin/Jig series 7 foot, medium power, fact action- 290$ (SJR844S)

Pflueger Supreme XT (that new magnesium bodied one)- 149$

Thats what I look at or some variation of those if I wanted one, super nice, multi-purpose rod/reel.

Edited by archie_james_c

A stradic 2500 FI and two compres. Lots of actions and lengths available in one piece and two. $400 probably wont cover it, but you aren't over budget by much. One thing to note, the new generation of super light reels (stradic CI4 and pfleuger patriarch etc.) don't balance well on most rods. If you buy one of these reels, you will also need a very light rod to fully appreciate the advantages.