Tough Decision: Shimano Stradic or Pflueger Patriarch

atvaholic

Hi,

I am replacing some of my reels which are several years old. I just bought a pflueger supreme which I am happy with, but am considering upgrading to one of these - it will be an ultralight setup for trout mostly. May be called upon from time to time to do battle with a large bow :-)

So I am wondering what the opinions are on these reels?

I was at BPS yesterday and they had the new Patriarch in stock... It's a pretty sweet reel, I think it was $159 or $179...

Stradics are Stradics, bulletproof reels that will last years!!!

Can't go wrong with either.

Actually that is one of my requirements - I would like it to last as long as possible. My local tackle shop has the patriarch for $189 and the stradic for $209 - I dont mind paying the extra if it will last longer or give any other advantage

I don't think it's a good thing to admit, but I think I might be a Pflueger guy.

(I think most people only claim to be a Shimano/Daiwa guy)

If you ask me, I'll take the Patriarch any day of the week. Lighter, solid. Keep in mind I've only fondled them at the stores. Lol

I own 3 pflueger reels and 1 shimano and 2 Daiwas..

And if you ask me to compare a Pflueger President against a Shimano Sahara, the Pflueger is actually much better than the Sahara.

I also own Pflueger's top end BC, and I feel those are bulletproof too.

Edited by EC1

I will add that this forum is pro shimano, with good reason. They make a great product and they have great customer service, especially if you make the trip to Peterborough. I do not own any higher end shimano products (although I dream of a calcutta). I chose the Patriarch over the Stradic CI4 as I hated the feel of the grip on the CI4. It just seemed weird to me. That along with the fact that the Patriarch is substancially lighter than the CI4 swayed it for me. Maybe I'll discover that the Patriarch is trash but I don't think so. When it comes down to finesse fishing the lighter the better, and I couldn't find a lighter spinning reel than the Patriarch.

One thing to keep in mind in my opinion is:

Where do you have to send them to for warranty? After warranty service?

I bought a case of Stradics (5 in a case) just before Christmas. Very happy I did. My reels were in dire need of updates.

I am looking at buying 2 more, thinking about the CI4 but will prolly just end up getting the mgfb's.

Id go with the stradic. But why? Cuz I already own a few and am very happy with them. Something to consider with the lightweight reels is the rod you put them on. It must also be light. Put it on the wrong rod and you'll find it to be very tip heavy. I put my Ci4 on a compre and it felt bad. But on a st croix avid it feels just right.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. If weight is a high priority make sure you compare the line capacity/pound test.

A C14 2500 holds 140 yards of 8lb line 7oz.

Patriarch 9535X holds 140 yards of 8lb line 7.4oz.

That is true, but the 9525 has a similar capacity to the CI41000 and is 5.6 oz to 6.2 (or 6.1 for the microline). The weight difference is only significant with the lightest Patriarch.

Just to be clear how many of the these posts are referring to the stradic CI4. In my humble opinion the FI is a great reel , but not comparable to the Patriarch. Again keep in mind the Shimano bias. I am wondering how many of he pro shimano posters have fished with a pflueger, and quality one at that.

Edited by fishgreg

I own 5 daiwa feels (tierras and advantages) all on Croix rods. But after looking at the drag rating and the weight of the patriarch and the new supreme I think I'll be putting either of those on my next couple rods.

I think the new supreme in a 1500 size on a 6' med lite fast st. Croix legend elite will be a handy light weight jig rod. :)

hmmm, seems to be a lot of shimano fans here and well, everywhere.

I went to the tackle shop just to compare the 2. Unfortunatly, they just sold the last Ci4 1000 series yeserday :-(

I looked at the 2500. Pretty darn nice. Compared it to the patriarch. Definatly like the feel of the patriarch better - likely due to the handle. Not a deal breaker though, im sure i'll get used to it. The guy behind the desk said, "cant go wrong with either, but Ci4 wins hands down". When I asked why he responded "i've just been a shimano guy forever". Was hoping for a little more....I guess this is one of those chevy vs ford things..