Interesting observation on Simcoe

jimmer

I was out from Virginia Beach a couple of weeks ago on that cold Monday. We had drilled a few holes in various places and weren't getting much. I decided to lay down on the ice and see what was happening below. What I saw was a bunch of dead gobies lying all over the bottom. No fish!

Are these things dying off or are people throwing dead ones back down the hole? Would this affect the fishing in that area if there are a bunch of dead fish on the bottom?

Anyone have any insight on this?

Edited by jimmer

I was out from Virginia Beach a couple of weeks ago on that cold Monday. We had drilled a few holes in various places and weren't getting much. I decided to lay down on the ice and see what was happening below. What I saw was a bunch of dead gobies lying all over the bottom. No fish!

Are these things dying off or are people throwing dead ones back down the hole? Would this affect the fishing in that area if there are a bunch of dead fish on the bottom?

Anyone have any insight on this?

Hey Jimmer,

I'm wondering if Botulism Type E may be a potential culprit. I'm hoping not though...

I found this on the net when I googled Goby die offs:

"Field investigations have suggested that the die-offs observed in Lake Huron may be the result of botulism type E poisoning. Toxins from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum and specifically Type E botulism, which is found in fish-eating birds in the Great Lakes, cause these die-offs. The botulism toxin is pro­duced in the absence of oxygen and with suitable temperature and nutrient conditions. It remains unclear which fac­tors trigger the bacterium to produce the neurotoxin and the ensuing fish and wildlife die-offs.

Species commonly found during die-off events include: Freshwater Drum (Sheepshead), Smallmouth Bass, Rock Bass, Round Gobies, and Channel Catfish. Bird species include Loons, Cormorants, Mergansers, Gulls and other waterbirds. It is suspected that zebra and quagga mussels are ingesting the botulinum bacteria (invertebrates are not affected by botulism).

Round gobies are known to heavily feed on mussels; therefore, they are thought to be ingesting the bacteria. Native fish species such as those commonly associated with the die-off are starting to feed primarily on the round goby; thus, they become affected by botulism. This movement of botulism is believed to be leading to the fish die-offs commonly observed along Lake Huron."

Hey Jimmer,

I'm wondering if Botulism Type E may be a potential culprit. I'm hoping not though...

I found this on the net when I googled Goby die offs:

"Field investigations have suggested that the die-offs observed in Lake Huron may be the result of botulism type E poisoning. Toxins from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum and specifically Type E botulism, which is found in fish-eating birds in the Great Lakes, cause these die-offs. The botulism toxin is pro­duced in the absence of oxygen and with suitable temperature and nutrient conditions. It remains unclear which fac­tors trigger the bacterium to produce the neurotoxin and the ensuing fish and wildlife die-offs.

Species commonly found during die-off events include: Freshwater Drum (Sheepshead), Smallmouth Bass, Rock Bass, Round Gobies, and Channel Catfish. Bird species include Loons, Cormorants, Mergansers, Gulls and other waterbirds. It is suspected that zebra and quagga mussels are ingesting the botulinum bacteria (invertebrates are not affected by botulism).

Round gobies are known to heavily feed on mussels; therefore, they are thought to be ingesting the bacteria. Native fish species such as those commonly associated with the die-off are starting to feed primarily on the round goby; thus, they become affected by botulism. This movement of botulism is believed to be leading to the fish die-offs commonly observed along Lake Huron."

Wow I hope that's not the case! I must've slaughtered a dozen gobys from simcoe last summer. Although I've then seen birds come and take the carcass which after reading that doesn't do any good. I guess there's no easy way to rid them.

Sounds like a winter kill.

Steve Quinn's article in the last issue of In-Fisherman explains winter stratification really well. This time of year, plants will start to die and decay because of low sunlight, so they stop producing oxygen. Fish and invertebrates then breath what's left of the dissolved oxygen so the levels get really low.

Low oxygen and temps below 39f on both the bottom and the upper portion push fish out of the shallows and into the midle zone of the lake, which he calls the Big Squeeze. This layer is often somewhere off the bottom. It makes sence. If a bottom dweller like a gobie can't reach the middle zone of a lake during an exceptionaly cold winter, like the one we're having this year, they're toast!! :w00t:B)

cheers

Edited by Highdrifter