interesting call at work last week

rickster

Got a call from a lady last week looking for a fl22 hd vexilar for a gift for someone

I explained to her that we do not sell vexilar but sell humminbird and marcum flashers

She asks me what model and how much so I tell her we have in stock all three humminbird flashers and give her the price range of 299 up to 499

She immediately says she will take two of the 499 ones. No questions about model or power ...nothing .... just how quick can you send them out and how long to get them to her.

I tell here we can send them out right away and ask her what the address is thinking she lived not too far away.

So she rattles off a name and address in quebec

Right away the alarm bells go off. Why would someone from quebec call a store in northwetern ontario for something she could buy locally.

She did give me a visa number but I just don't feel this is right so I sent her a form to fill out in lieu sp? of having the actual card but have yet to receive anything back

So what do you people think?

Me thinks this is a scam of some sort

Rick

maybe she wanted to save the tax ???dunno.gif I used to ship to Ontarion, parts for appliances, and a few times the cistomer contested the charge, but only because they forgot.A call to them reminded them and then it got authorized no problem. After 2 or 3 differnt times, we asked for an authorizing email. Better safe than sorry.

Glad I'm not doing business with you if that's how you treat customers.

how is that offensive to you in any way? He treated her just fine yet he's protecting himself...nothing wrong with that. If she wants the product then he just has to explain to her the situation and if it's legit, she should have no issue with this.

That call is an obvious red flag in my opinion. Not necessarily a scam, but it's suspicious.

Can't you run a check on the VISA number? Once they authorize, you've got a guarantee of your money, don't you?

You can't save sales tax by ordering from another province now, can you? I thought the HST scotched that.

Edited by Jocko

You would be glad its him doing buisness with you if that was your card she was holding, you just happend to lose it ten minutes ago, come on man, Think!!!

Got a call from a lady last week looking for a fl22 hd vexilar for a gift for someone

I explained to her that we do not sell vexilar but sell humminbird and marcum flashers

She asks me what model and how much so I tell her we have in stock all three humminbird flashers and give her the price range of 299 up to 499

She immediately says she will take two of the 499 ones. No questions about model or power ...nothing .... just how quick can you send them out and how long to get them to her.

I tell here we can send them out right away and ask her what the address is thinking she lived not too far away.

Right away the alarm bells go off. Why would someone from quebec call a store in northwetern ontario for something she could buy locally.

She did give me a visa number but I just don't feel this is right so I sent her a form to fill out in lieu sp? of having the actual card but have yet to receive anything back

Rick

Do NOT SHIP THEM OUT!!!!!

We had a similar thing happen to us about two years ago. Guy from Quebec called in an order for two generators, gave us the VISA #, we processed it, it was approved, we shipped. Turned out that the card had been stolen and since we hadn't actually had the card in our hand and didn't have the owners original signature, VISA refused to honor the transaction. We did try calling in the cops but they couldn't do much since it was out of province. We tried to contact the freight company that was used (customer had arranged the pickup), they couldn't tell us much because the goods had been held at their warehouse and picked up by the customer.

This same scam has been used a lot and you have no recourse once you ship the goods even if VISA approved the transaction.

Like Cliff said !! I get an email every second day from someone wanting to buy Garmin 696 flight GPS's and if I take credit cards.

Call the VISA customer line.. give them your vendor # .. the card number and ask them if it belongs to said women. I'm sure you'll find it doesn't!

Glad you are not doing business with me if that is how you treat suppliers!

Most of us work our butts off to try to make a decent living, getting robbed like this is worse than someone breaking in and stealing the stuff, at least then our insurance would cover the loss. This way it comes right out of our pockets! Have a little empthay for the business man trying to make a living.

You would be glad its him doing buisness with you if that was your card she was holding, you just happend to lose it ten minutes ago, come on man, Think!!!

Been there, done that. Visa reversed the charges in less than 48 hours.

Glad you are not doing business with me if that is how you treat suppliers!

Most of us work our butts off to try to make a decent living, getting robbed like this is worse than someone breaking in and stealing the stuff, at least then our insurance would cover the loss. This way it comes right out of our pockets! Have a little empthay for the business man trying to make a living.

There is a proper way to bill a credit card over the phone, and entering the number into your debit machine is NOT it! Protecting yourself is fine, but not at the expense of customer service.

No.. you pick up the phone.. call 1-800-503-1035 for Paymentech enter your vendor #.. card # you think is correct.. expiry date. Total sale amount.. "Approved your confirmation # is...XXXXX" Problem becomes.. card is scammed or stolen and not yet reported... and not worth the hassle afterwards trying to get your money back.

Call the #.. hit 0.. get a person.. give them the card number, etc and ask them to verify that the name and shipping address match the address they are requesting shipment to.

My own VISA card has been scammed three times in 4 years at local full serve gas stations. They will have your card number.. expiry.. security code etc and you don't know it. They then look up your name in the phone book knowing you are a regular to find your phone number and address... so they have everything, but then thankfully get caught trying to have it shipped to a different address!

Looks like "No Brains" here has no idea about credit card fraud.

This is a scam, unless you do your due diligence for this transaction, if everything thing checks out then it's good to go. Unfortunately this sounds like fraudulent activity, I would call Phone Busters, and they'll create a file on the phone number used, any info pertaining to this "fraudulent" call.

To No Brains; You should be thankful of retailers questioning odd sales transactions, it could be your credit card their trying to use!!!! DUH

Been there, done that. Visa reversed the charges in less than 48 hours.

There is a proper way to bill a credit card over the phone, and entering the number into your debit machine is NOT it! Protecting yourself is fine, but not at the expense of customer service.

We had faxed the customer an authorization form with the VISA number on it, full description of the goods, prices, the name, phone number and address he had provided us. He faxed it back to us with a signature on it and a name. He even provided the 3 digit security number on the back of the card. Turned out all were fake. The fax number belonged to a "mail box store".

Could we have done more? Sure we could but we were trying to take care of our customer. It cost us over $4000.00.

Man, i can sure tell that you aren`t in bussiness for yourself. With all the fraud and electronic theft out there, you can NEVER be too careful.Once again, the honest people like you and i are assumed guilty....just a fact of life. I never ship without authorization from the card company....NEVER...EVER

There are all sorts of variations on similar scams.

I've had calls from various people with some challenging to understand 'accents' claiming to be from Texas in need of some fairly 'generic' industrial equipment I supply. They want to pay by credit card and want it air freighted over night and it doesn't really matter the cost just "get it shipped". When you're in Texas, the "oil belt", these commodity items are sold at any industrial supplier. When it's even pointed out to them that these $4000 worth of components they can pick up for about $2000 locally, they don't want to hear it.

That's when you use a bit of your business accumen to make sure they have a nice day and move along.

Sounds like a prudent thing to do to be a little suspicious. Anyone who wouldn't be, I think would be a little naive.

Can't you run a check on the VISA number? Once they authorize, you've got a guarantee of your money, don't you?

You can't save sales tax by ordering from another province now, can you? I thought the HST scotched that.

only thing she would have paid is GST. Its up to the consumer to pay provincial sales tax to the provincial gov. I bet that happens alotrofl2.gif Same as if you bought something from me, and i shipped to you in Ontario, i would charge GST, but no PST.It would be your responsibility to send the PST to your provincial tax collector. Bet ya wouldnt do thatwhistling.gif

Rick

Yep total scam, she tried it at our shop aswell, but we verify every card with visa/mc with an address. If one thing doesn't check out it does not get shipped. She tried for over a week . Visa even called the actual card holder and asked if she was making a purchase at our shop. Lady said none what so ever. Consider yourself lucky as you just saved yourself $1000. Bloddy scum bags

????where is the bites my tongue emoticon

Like Cliff said !! I get an email every second day from someone wanting to buy Garmin 696 flight GPS's and if I take credit cards.

Call the VISA customer line.. give them your vendor # .. the card number and ask them if it belongs to said women. I'm sure you'll find it doesn't!

gonna check with visa tomorrow and see what they have to say

good call Rick...You work at a GREAT business out there...you saved them money (and possibly your integrity and a wee shame)...No doubt. I'm no business man but I smell somthin' fishy, pardon the pun.

Once again good call.

Thanks man. We try to do are best and look after our customers. If you ever need a deal on something gimme a call.. (my spring booking stuff is starting to come in :thumbsup_anim: )