Where to Find Topo of Lake Wilcox

rdambros

I want to take the boy out ice fishing on Lake Wilcox and was looking for a topographic chart/map of the lake, so that we would know where the drop offs were and what would be the best place to fish.

Anyone know where to find a topographical chart or map of Lake Wilcox in Richmond Hill? Or, anyone know where would be the most productive spot on the lake to ice fish?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Sorry couldn't tell you, all I know is no one catches anything at Lake Wilcox in the summer so I assume the same thing could be said for the winter.

That's not true.... I fished Wilcox for years and use to throw my waders on and fish the trees. Theres some good largemouth in there if you know where to look.

Topographic maps don't show lake depths.

The best source of hydrographic lake maps I've found is here:

http://www.trakmaps....edMapsList.aspx

Bear in mind it's only the larger more popular lakes that have been mapped in this way.

SoloPadler, great stuff thanks for that. One question, what are the tiny red stars refering to? I did'nt see a legend. Do you know. :canadian:

My uncle owns a property just off of the lake and I have been fishing the lake now for a few years. Tons of people fish it (mainly in the winter) because you are able to go out farther into the lake and search for fish. Fishing is better in the summertime if you have a boat of course, but ive caught plenty off the public dock! As for people who live right on the lake, I can't imagine any one with the nads to think he or she owns a piece of the lake. :glare: Everyone who wishes to fish the lake has the same equal rights as those who live on it! I can't tell you what to use when you fish the lake, the only thing I can recommend is going! :) I will however agree with those who want to preserve the beauty of the lake and all the fish that swim in it by catching and releasing the fish there. It may be a fishing hotspot for southern Ontario anglers, but it is also a small lake with a steady growing population of fish.

i fished it for about an hour the other day i was close by and had my ice fishing gear with me and i found lake wilcox on google maps on my i phone, seems like a nice little spot, i had some hits crappie i think but walked away with a skunk i was about 100ft out right by bethesda rd where i found some frozen holes

My uncle owns a property just off of the lake and I have been fishing the lake now for a few years. Tons of people fish it (mainly in the winter) because you are able to go out farther into the lake and search for fish. Fishing is better in the summertime if you have a boat of course, but ive caught plenty off the public dock! As for people who live right on the lake, I can't imagine any one with the nads to think he or she owns a piece of the lake. :glare: Everyone who wishes to fish the lake has the same equal rights as those who live on it! I can't tell you what to use when you fish the lake, the only thing I can recommend is going! :) I will however agree with those who want to preserve the beauty of the lake and all the fish that swim in it by catching and releasing the fish there. It may be a fishing hotspot for southern Ontario anglers, but it is also a small lake with a steady growing population of fish.

A gentleman/property owner came up in a boat while I was wading hip deep there in the summertime years ago. I was informed he legally owns the lake bottom I'm standing on, and I can be prosecuted for trespassing if he wishes. I wasn't lippy so he let me be. The explanation was that Lake Wilcox lake bottom was deeded to perimeter owners long time ago as a way to thwart mineral mining from the lake bottom. Any truth to that assertion, I do not know. I guess the Richmond Hill city hall can clarifies that if I'm curious enough to inquire. As per Richmond Hill Park & Rec I was told no outboard motor is allowed unless you are a owner on the lake.

Maybe the owners do actually own the frozen water above the lake bottom too? :dunno:

A gentleman/property owner came up in a boat while I was wading hip deep there in the summertime years ago. I was informed he legally owns the lake bottom I'm standing on, and I can be prosecuted for trespassing if he wishes. I wasn't lippy so he let me be. The explanation was that Lake Wilcox lake bottom was deeded to perimeter owners long time ago as a way to thwart mineral mining from the lake bottom. Any truth to that assertion, I do not know. I guess the Richmond Hill city hall can clarifies that if I'm curious enough to inquire. As per Richmond Hill Park & Rec I was told no outboard motor is allowed unless you are a owner on the lake.

Maybe the owners do actually own the frozen water above the lake bottom too? :dunno:

I could understand that if you were wading on the property they own but I cant image the same rules would apply if you were on a canoe or other paddle boat? :dunno: Personally I don't think ice fishing applies to trespassing if they own the lake bottom (because your technically not touching the bottom of the lake) but realistically I wouldn't bother positioning myself in front of someones property unless I asked them personally for permission to fish the area closest to the property. Mind you, the best spots when ice fishing are 30 to 40 feet out. I highly doubt anyone owns that much lake bottom 40 feet out from the shore line BUT if you don't feel 100% comfortable fishing that area it doesn't hurt to ask the property owner. Generally most people won't have a problem with fishing close to the property, like I said in an earlier post, no one on the lake owns the lake itself so I don't see any problem. As for invasion of privacy the only thing I can recommend is informing the property owner that you wish to fish the area near the property and if they have a problem just to let you know to avoid any illegal matter. :P

SoloPadler, great stuff thanks for that. One question, what are the tiny red stars refering to? I did'nt see a legend. Do you know. :canadian:

What stars? Did you just get bonked on the head? :lol:

(Probably rocks is the right answer).

In addition to trak maps here are three more sources of depth maps:

http://www.anglersatlas.com/mapstore/

http://www.fishingmapsplus.com/index.html

http://www.geoma.ca/MapProducts/FishFinderMaps.aspx

Bear in mind ALL of these retailers are getting the lake depth info from the MNR.

If you contact the MNR district office the lake you're interested in is located, you just may get the info for free.

Just a thought. ;)

Lots of people think they own the streambed/lake bottom. Reality is 95% of them don't.

Yep.. but 5% of them do. Leah grew up on Sturgeon Bay (Georgian Bay) as a kid.. her father only sold the places about 15 years ago. He owned 238 feet out into the lake from the shoreline, as do the majority of the neighbours.