Dead Baitfish Rules?

daryl0815

I was trying to look through the reg's today about baitfish species that anglers are allowed to use.

I saw some salted whole Herring at the grocery store, and it got me thinking about using it for bait at Lake Simcoe, according to the regs as far as I can tell, you are allowed to use lake herring (ciscoe) even as live bait, is this true?

I am sure that the lakers are eating herring, with all of the herring being caught this year!

It also says that you arent allowed to use yellow Perch as live bait, but it doesnt say anything about dead bait?

If anyone knows the rules could you please shed some light on the subject for me?

I apologize if there has been a post on this in the past, but I haven't seen any!

Daryl

I would think that you can not use live herring on simcoe, I don't know about dead I would want to keep the receipt from the store

the MNR can't get their stories together op using perch parts for bait..some say ok if you use part that you would not eat like eyeballs

other in the MNR say use them and you will be charged

if the MNR don't understand their regs how the hell are we suppose to

I would think that you can not use live herring on simcoe, I don't know about dead I would want to keep the receipt from the store

the MNR can't get their stories together op using perch parts for bait..some say ok if you use part that you would not eat like eyeballs

other in the MNR say use them and you will be charged

if the MNR don't understand their regs how the hell are we suppose to

Like most government agencies, I am sure that they dont know their own rules.

I have used the skin from a Perch Fillet on the hook of my spoon once trying for pike, not on Simcoe, and I didnt catch anything, but I kind of felt nervous...

As far as I can tell from the reg's they are very vague, but I dont think it is illegal.

there is a list of allowed live bait in the regs and perch is not in there.as for dead bait,especially perch.i would find an alternative just to be safe.besides,theres so many other options for dead bait you shouldnt even have to worry about using a perch.i use these tasty little morsels (sardines) as dead bait.there like $3.50 a bag and you get 8 or more of them in a bag, depending on the weight.i stumbled across them a year or 2 ago and cant head out for a day of pike fishing with out them.if thawed when you drop it down the hole,it looks like you sprayed wd40 in the water.the oil/sent trail these give off is amazing! and i have lots of pictures of gators,i and another member of this board caught over the past year or 2 using them.my profile pic was caught using them and there was a report my buddy (rich) posted a couple weeks back with a 38" gator i caught using them,so there tried tested and true! ...you can find them at most of the bigger grocery stores.zhers,real canadian super store and fortinos have them for sure..

Picture020-3.jpg

Edited by bottombouncer

Sardines work pretty well, and are indeed legal. Ask the CO's that checked my bait 2 weeks ago while fishing a pond.

This 42" was caught on a sardine

100_0685.jpg

**EDIT**

LOL figures Rob (Bottombouncer) would have posted about this directly before me..

Edited by Rich

Nice fish Rich, I might go out and try for some Pike soon, I have never caught one through the ice before. Thanks for the advice Rob, I will definitely be trying Sardines out, I am not a fan of eating them, but I wouldnt mind letting a big old Pike or Laker eat them!

I will have to grab some Sardines next time I go out for some Pike, I would imagine that they must work for Lakers too? I am thinking that it looks enough like what they are eating, and I didnt even realize about the scent trail factor, thats key.

Thanks again everyone for the replies!

"Seen sardines in Fortino's today. 6"+, nothing smaller."

you dont want anything smaller then 6".i try to pick through all the bags until i find one with some giants in them.there packaged by weight and you might only get 4-6 in a bag..and trust me,they can be worth there weight in gold to a guy that fishes for pike!

and rich.i cant wait to get out friday for your b-day and chase some more of those big girls with ya!