Trent Severn system users

POLLIWOGG

A note to those that use the Trent Severn system, They have removed a large # of aids to navigation on the system and that has raised some concern to safety in the Canadian Power Squadrons in the area. I feel that it would be a loosing battle to have them all restored but I would suggest that if you notice a missing buoy and feel it should be there to make your feelings known to Parks Canada and maybe we can get a few of the more important ones restored with a little pressure from the locals one at a time.

They removed a marker on a sunken island, within 1 week, myself and 2 other people ripped the lower units right off their motors. I was lucky, I didn't have to go for the cold dip like they did. <_<

Rob C

they put out ad and press releases that they were going to do it...

people will need to rethink the boating ways, detailed hydrographic mapping GPS may be a must for everyones boats who don't stay on just one lake

It seemed like they mostly removed the marker buoys where there were a red & green close together, and they would remove only one of them. They would remove a red from one spot, then further up the lake, they would take out a green one.

You can still usually see where the channel is, at least one side of it, but now in the narrower sections you won't know how far away from the markers you can go, so if your not familiar with that particular spot, you'll need to hug the visble marker pretty close to be safe.

At least that's what I saw in the areas I frequent.

Supposedly a cost saving measure, as now when the crews go out to reposition them, they don't have as many to move :dunno:

people will need to rethink the boating ways, detailed hydrographic mapping GPS may be a must for everyones boats who don't stay on just one lake

Good advise Terry, but a word of caution, one still needs top use some common sense also while using a GPS unit while most are fairly acurate, don't make the same mistake that I did last summer and have funnel vision with the GPS. I was looking for a particular spot on a well known lake that has a sunken railroad track and while staring at the GPS unit I still hit the dam thing, just lucky I was at a crawl and didn't do any damage to my outdrive.

Whopper

Ask BCanuck about following a GPS "track" at Lakair in 2005! It was expensive and a longer night than anticipated out in the boat for Joe/Art/myself and Brian.

What really screws you up when markers have been removed is you're going along sweet fat and happy..... following the proper navigation charts and just when you think you have it all figured out there's a marker missing and you start to question yourself if you missed one and if it's going to get expensive right NOW !

They told us they went to every location and decided if the marker was needed or not. I know that coast guard has been convinced to leave some buoys when approached by local users, I would only hope Parks Canada would be as accommodating. They might argue that their markers are there to keep you off structure and not to help you find it but this may be where the real hazard exists.

This is too bad. My family leaves near the Trent system and I'm not all that familer with it. The only comfort I had most times when heading out with my dad was the markers.

I read in the local cottage community newsletter that they tried this on the Rideau a fews years back. Needless to say many of the cottagers & users of that system have some connection to Ottawa and now many of the markers in the area I cottage have been repainted and the lights are working again :thumbsup_anim:

Public pressure works.