Leafs In Total Freefall

craigdritchie

Not sure what I find most amusing your love affair with kessel or the importance you place on the "all star "game.

But then again you are correct ,23 year old consecutive 30 goal scorers are a dime a dozen...got any on your team of choice tease.gif

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

But then again you are correct ,23 year old consecutive 30 goal scorers are a dime a dozen...got any on your team of choice

+/- -19

Anyone want to bet that Ke$$el will be the last all-star picked at the draft on the 28th?

Go Kessel Go!

2011 NHL Fantasy Player Draft Results

ROUND 1

1. Cam Ward, G, Team Staal

2. Steven Stamkos, C, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 2

3. Alex Ovechkin, RW, Team Staal

4. Duncan Keith, D, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 3

5. Daniel Sedin, W, Team Staal

6. Henrik Sedin, C, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 4

7. Zdeno Chara, D, Team Staal

8. Shea Weber, D, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 5

9. Rick Nash, W, Team Staal

10. Tim Thomas, G, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 6

11. Henrik Lundqvist, G, Team Staal

12. Daniel Briere, C/W, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 7

13. Marc Staal, D, Team Staal

14. Dustin Byfuglien, D, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 8

15. Patrick Sharp, LW, Team Staal

16. Jonathan Toews, C, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 9

17. Dan Boyle, D, Team Staal

18. Marc-Andre Fleury, G, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 10

19. Carey Price, G, Team Staal

20. Jonas Hiller, G, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 11

21. Jeff Skinner, C, Team Staal

22. Brad Richards, C, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 12

23. Kris Letang, D, Team Staal

24. Keith Yandle, D, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 13

25. Claude Giroux, RW, Team Staal

26. Brent Burns, D, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 14

27. Erik Karlsson, D, Team Staal

28. Martin Havlat, RW, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 15

29. Corey Perry, RW, Team Staal

30. Anze Kopitar, C, Team Lidstrom

ROOKIE ROUND

Team Staal: Logan Cuture, C; Tyler Ennis, LW; Michael Grabner, RW; Jamie McBain, D; Tyler Seguin, C; P.K. Subban, D.

Team Lidstrom: Evgeny Dadonov, RW; Oliver Ekman-Larsson, D; Cam Fowler, D; Taylor Hall, LW; Kevin Shattenkirk, D; Derek Stepan, C.

ROUND 16

31. Patrik Elias, LW, Team Staal

32. Matt Duchene, C, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 17

33. David Backes, RW, Team Staal

34. Loui Eriksson, LW, Team Lidstrom

ROUND 18

35. Paul Stastny, C, Team Staal

36. Phil Kessel, RW. Team Lidstrom :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2::clapping:

You guys are all complaining about the Leafs and yeah, they're not doing very well. I live here in Quebec and the Canadiens are not a hero team either. We'll see how that second part of the season works out.

You guys are all complaining about the Leafs and yeah, they're not doing very well. I live here in Quebec and the Canadiens are not a hero team either. We'll see how that second part of the season works out.

Roy, just got to remember that the Habs have a lot of injured players and that they're doing the best they can until they return to a healthy team :)

As for the Leafs.... well.... :dunno:

As you said.... will see what the second half brings!!!

Jacques

Unfortunate to be born in southwestern Ontario into a Leafs family, so .... been a Leafs fan all my life. wallbash.gif Been very very hard to be one though in the last 15 years. I'm 41, young enough to have never really "seen" a great Leafs team, and old enough to know that really hurts.

There have ben some decent teams in that stretch just not great ones.While I do agree they suck I still get a kick out of the kessel bashers.A 23 year old with his goal scoring abilities and people are taking shots at him. +/- Tavares -21 two more than Kessel,is he garbage??? Points Couture 33, a point less than kessel ,is he garbage?? Goals Ovechkin 19 tied with Kessel so I guess he is garbage as well???

The reason I don't like Kessel isn't really because of Kessel (so it's not really his fault). It's what Kessel represents. I don't like Kessel because of the way Leafs management acquired him. I've said this a number of times over the last few months in other threads, but I'll say it again here ... MLSE doesn't give a rats ass about winning, or building long term into a great contending team. They only want the "quick fix", the "goal scorer", and the "headliner" to get butts in the seats, and keep that income flowing. There's a reason why the Leafs are one of the most valuable teams in sports - they have rabid fans who make sure every game is sold out (despite also having one of the highest ticket prices in the league), and who buy anything and everything with the Leafs logo printed on it. If they printed the logo on condoms, I bet stores wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

As long as the $$ keeps rolling in (Ke$$el), MSLE has no incentive to change their ways. So why not - trade your first and second round draft pick in 2010 and a first round pick in 2011. The Leafs didn't pick up Kessel to rebuild a team around him. They picked him up so they would have a marquee player who scores goals, and so fans would continue to buy tickets to see those goals.

That short-sightedness in the Leafs organization drives me crazy, and is therefore why I'm not crazy about Kessel. Sure, it's not his fault, but it's what Kessel represents while wearing the Leafs jersey.

Well Chance, I'm a Bruins fan and have watched Ke$$el for 3 years in Boston. No tears from me when they traded him to your team for 2 firsts and a second rounder. He will probably excel in the All-Star game since, unlike the games that count, there will be no contact, no defence and no pressure. Did you know that the Leafs are 2 points behind where they were at this point last year? Progress? I think not.

While I do agree with many things you say i disagree about not picking up kessel to build around.I mean why not a back to nback 30 goal scorer who was 22 at the time.Seems like a good pick up to me.You basically said it yourself the Leafs dont NEED a marque player,the fans will still show up.I think most people have a problem with the price that was paid for kessel.I think the price was a tad high but burke wanted him so he paid for him.They ARE trying to build around him so dont judge the whole rebuild around this one trade.If seguin turns out to be gold and so does the other pick then poor trade.if they are so so then great trade,just dont judge the trade now.

To say they dont want to win is simply not true from a business point of view.Extend the season sell more tickets,food and beverages at games,shirts ,hats ...you name it.I do think thery treat their fans like crap but to say they dont want to win is just not true.

The reason I don't like Kessel isn't really because of Kessel (so it's not really his fault). It's what Kessel represents. I don't like Kessel because of the way Leafs management acquired him. I've said this a number of times over the last few months in other threads, but I'll say it again here ... MLSE doesn't give a rats ass about winning, or building long term into a great contending team. They only want the "quick fix", the "goal scorer", and the "headliner" to get butts in the seats, and keep that income flowing. There's a reason why the Leafs are one of the most valuable teams in sports - they have rabid fans who make sure every game is sold out (despite also having one of the highest ticket prices in the league), and who buy anything and everything with the Leafs logo printed on it. If they printed the logo on condoms, I bet stores wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

As long as the $$ keeps rolling in (Ke$$el), MSLE has no incentive to change their ways. So why not - trade your first and second round draft pick in 2010 and a first round pick in 2011. The Leafs didn't pick up Kessel to rebuild a team around him. They picked him up so they would have a marquee player who scores goals, and so fans would continue to buy tickets to see those goals.

That short-sightedness in the Leafs organization drives me crazy, and is therefore why I'm not crazy about Kessel. Sure, it's not his fault, but it's what Kessel represents while wearing the Leafs jersey.

Well Chance, I'm a Bruins fan and have watched Ke$$el for 3 years in Boston. No tears from me when they traded him to your team for 2 firsts and a second rounder. He will probably excel in the All-Star game since, unlike the games that count, there will be no contact, no defence and no pressure. Did you know that the Leafs are 2 points behind where they were at this point last year? Progress? I think not.

Yeah ...who would want a guy who would be one goal behind your leading goal scorer not to mention second in total points.Do you even look at stats???Lucic has 20 goals kessel has 19 after that next in line is a bit of a drop and you were glad to see him go???Seems like your obsession points more towards being sour.I dont blame you though he can puit the puck in the net.You want to complain take a look at How Horton is doing,remember him, your big aquisition and saviour.Not going to save much with 12 goals.You see every team has their dissapointments however when trying to find one on the Leafs dont point to the guy who will lead YOUR team in scoring at the end of the year.

Yes I do know exactly where the Leafs sit this year and also dont really care.You want progress, win the cup ,anything less than that is a failure.As I remember the Bruins didnt win the cup last year so like all the others they failed.

Okay. I admit I'm a Leafs fan. Have been since I was a kid so I have lots of experience, something like close to 60 years actually. My first sweater was the blue with the maple leaf and then my Mom, or was it Santa Claus, thinking I needed variety in my clothing, got me a Hawks jersey, sox and even a toque (no helmets in those days) to wear on our outdoor rink. Truth was that out of the six teams playing then my next choice woulda been the Bruins. Chicago came somewhere just south of Detroit for me, ahead of NY and the Habbies. (Leaf fans couldn't love the Habs). I was polite and wore the black & colourful on our rink but for special occasions it was always the blue and white. Visiting my cousin in W'loo was always cool cuz Dickie Duff had relatives living on their crescent so sometimes we got to play road hockey with him or just say hello.

Seems to me a lot of the arguments pro and con the Leafs offered here are more than a little tempered by personal hates and likes and only slightly based on facts although lots of "facts" are offered as supposed support. Problem with facts and data is that it all can be worked a bit to serve the arguer's purpose. Facts never lie - yeah, right! It's all in the presentation.

Being a fan means sticking with your team through thick and thin but is it necessary to be rabid about it? Things have certainly been thin for us Leafs fans lately but hey, we have a few good moments too. One thing we've got that a lot of you who cheer for front runners don't is the chance that one day our boys will actually recover from the cellaritis and really give us something to cheer about. Be fun to see how many more Leafs fans are created then. :thumbsup_anim:

As for the Kessel abuse, the trade was only his fault in so far as Burke wanted him and perhaps the Bruins had given up on making a worker out of a cherry picker. I suspect he's playing the game he grew up playing, floating around the fringe looking for open lanes to holes in the goalie. I don't know if he understands any other game. He is what he is. Ya gotta admit he's got a pretty lethal shot when given an opening and he can dipsey doodle with the best of 'em in the offensive zone but he doesn't really like to mix it up in the slot or offer much on the backcheck although he's been getting a little better in that dept.

As for the rest of the Leafs they're for the most part a pretty young raw bunch with lots of talent but not much on ice leadership (i.e. maturity). Hopefully Burke can trade for some mature leadership in the form of a first line centre and a few others. The defence can probably work it out if the front end starts to produce consistently and help with the two way play. Kaberle is most valuable as a trader if he agrees to it. Too bad about Kommisarek (sp?) but with that great honkin' contract who's likely to want him in a trade? Mebbe he'll respond to some mature leadership on the ice. We know he can play better. He has before. Take the C away from Phaneuf and let him concentrate on his game. Perhaps the added responsibility is a distraction. Get a leader as a first line centre and put the C on him or even on Beauchemin. Between the pipes I wouldn't mind seeing Gustafsen (sp?) get traded and Reimer brought up to play with Giguere. Then when the minors produce some more goalies like Reimer Giguere becomes a decent trader. I think Wilson and Burke have proven their ability in the past but have bitten off a pretty big chore with the Leafs. Dunno if anyone could do much better with what they were handed.

But for now I'll just enjoy watching the kids scramble on the good nights and commiserate with them when they flop. We've only got one way to go and winning will happen sooner or later.

JF

I look at the stats Chance. Toronto is in 26th and my Bruins are in 7th. It's a team game and Ke$$el isn't a team player therefore he's not wanted on the Bruins. He shouldn't even have been at the all-star game, if they had to have a Leaf then Grabovski should have been selected.