Fish Finders

Jay T

I am looking at getting a new fish finder for my boat this year and these are new on the market. Has anybody had any experience with these units? Or with the DownScan Imaging?

I am also torn between the Humminbird and the Lowrance, both are good units but the Lowrance has a few more options.

Humminbird Fishfinder 570 DI Sonar Fishfinder

http://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-Fishfinder-570-DI-Sonar-Fishfinder/product/10210564/-1764752

Lowrance Mark-5x DSI Gray Scale Fishfinder

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Mark5x-DSI-Gray-Scale-Fishfinder/product/10209988/-1753760

Any info would be great, thanks.

Is that the absolute most amount of money that you want to spend on a fishfinder? My buddies always say my black and white fishfinder is hard to read when we're on the ice now! :w00t:

Either way, if I were you, I would get one with downscan because it saves so much thinking if you don't have to interpret anything.

You really can't pick a wrong one there of those two though. You're practically choosing between a Shimano or a Daiwa right now. Lol.

see who has the best customer service.i have 'heard' that lowrance has poor customer service.personally i had a problem with mine last year, sent an email to customer service and it took 3 weeks to get an anwer saying my unit was NLA, and an offer of a discount to purchase another.

no idea about humminbird customer service, so i cant compare.

good customer service is very important when you are forking out the money for these things.IMO.

Paul

Another thing to consider is the refresh rate of the screens. Basically, which reacts quicker after you move the map. Some can take a little longer. I have a Lowrance Mark X gps/finder combo and am happy with that, but would have go the DSI if it was available at that time. This series is priced quite reasonably considering what you all get. Definitely go with colour.

The single beam nature of the dsi will allow you to understand what you're seeing, but the old fasion dual-beam may help you find what you're looking for. All depends what you want to do with the unit: find or understand

clapping.gif this is an excellent explanation of the dif between the 2 types. Thanks clapping.gif

The New Lowrance and HB units are awesome, but like MSBRUNO stated you wont get the traditional older sonar to distinguish what you are looking for. I have tinkered with both of these and IMO, I would have to say the Lowrance one is the better of the two. I have been using Downscan and Sidescan for 2 years now with alot of knowledge of them logged right now. Its amazing that the stuff from the older units being translated into the downscan can open a whole new world. Its cool to see them side by side as I have done for the last 2 years. What I thought was a certian object was infact not what I thought it was at all. They have come a long way with this and it will only get better.

You will get guys stating its just a fishfinder, what more could you see with these. Well I have taken several guys from this site out to let them see for themselves and they are blown away every single time. You only get the downscan transducer, its dual beam though for deeper water or that translates from the 4000 watts of power to much clearer pictures in shallower water. The user friendly menu is very easy to use and to be honest, right out of the box on Auto it will blow you away, once trained on them you will wonder how you ever did without it. The Transducer is much smaller and more compact now then ever before. I have 5 transducers on my boat right now. The Structure Scan one being the biggest. But I wanted them both, Traditional and Downscan/Sidescan with the option to either have one or both on the same time. I have been a fanatic for electronice from the original paper graphs from my off shore commercial days to the new ones now. They have come so far its unbeleiveable.

The grey scale is just as good as the color units. Different strokes for different folks. There are some Pro Elite guys that still want the Black and White units over the color ones. If you need more info on a detailed comparasion feel free to PM me.