Hit and Run (Vehicle to Vehicle no pedestrians)

Nemo

This morning my neighbour was backing out of their driveway. A car pulled in the driveway opposite then reversed and backed right into his back bumper. My neighbour stooped but the guy pulled away and took off without stopping. He was unable to get the license plate.

My neighbours bumper was damaged (the plastic is split from end to end) and will cost approx $1000 to fix.

Should this be reported to the police/insurance? Your thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Nemo

Yep.. daughter just went thru this with Leah's truck. Looks like nothing.. but bumper cover/bumper reinforce and a signal light with paint on the cover add up to $2445 with Ford parts.. $1600 with aftermarket.

Off to the reporting centre for your neighbour, if by chance the other guy shows up there and reports the accident your neighbour will be charged with failure to do the same. 3 demerit points and possible fines.

It takes so little these days.. this is $2445 in damage with ford parts and the fender isn't ding!

truckdamage.jpg

Edited by irishfield

same thing happened to my wife with the Jetta we used to own... Sue was charged with "Backing out of a driveway" 110.00$ fine....... apparently is illegal in Ontario :dunno:..

We later caught up to the "runner and her 2500 Ram " she was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report.

there was about 1800.00 damage to the Jetta... we went to the insurance for a claim and according to them, It was my wife's fault and would not cover it because , that's it's illegal to back out of a driveway onto a thoroughfare.

Randy

:canadian:

It is definitely illegal to back onto a "Kings highway". I don't know about any other road, but a highway definitely. The police use to sit in Bailieboro and wait for people to back out onto 28 all the time from the post office (my sister's mother-in-law was the post master).. and my sister finally put a turn around T in her laneway next door to m-in-laws to avoid getting fined herself.

I was rear ended way back with my dads 79 impala, no dents on the chrome bumper, only plastic residue. Police came to make up a report, they almost shrugged it off until I told them to inspect the shock attached to the bumper. it was compressed considerably.

Since the fool took off, we pursed it legally!

Call it in!

This morning my neighbour was backing out of their driveway.

If both backing out of a driveway, the accident is considered 50/50 and normally he would pay half his collision deductible. Since the 3rd party left the scene and is unidentified, the whole thing falls under his collision coverage, so he would pay the full deductible. Most companies rate for an accident where you are 50% or more at fault, and his deductible is probably $500 to $1000, so I would suggest he not go through insurance.