return of the Elk hunt

Jer

Holy Crap!!!! This is Awesome!!! Never tried Elk meat... Heard it's really good though

you chances are easier to purchase some as opposed to hunt it yourself..check Canadian Venison Purveyors...there are still farms around but not as many as years gone by ..most of the farmers sell directly to the public (used to anyways)

Nuhn Farms is a great place to start...Seaforth area

Edited by Twocoda

While I was at deer camp this fall this topic came up. Mainly because we hunt right where the elk were released. In our camp we have at least five people that would qualify for applying for a tag. All of us agreed that it would not be worth it to actually persue at this time. The cost of it would be more than any of us could afford. Who knows though, maybe in a couple of years?

While we do see elk during our hunts, we know we could probably get some. The meat is delicious. I have tried it while living out west.

Not so sure on the 400 - 600 tags.

On the OFAH notice about this on their website they estimated the Bancroft/Hastings herd at 400 - 600.

Kudos to all who worked hard to bring this about!

Cheers,

Mark

once again the ofah takes credit for something that had very little to do with . it was the rocky mountain elk foundation that did most of the work and roumour has it gave up as the politics of mnr and the ofah was to much for them . the elk foundation put our over 300 000 dollars for the transfer of the elk and that was just money not including hundreds of man hours

This is more than likely a result of all the bad press thats been generated by tthe Elk destroying farmers crops and fences versus creating a sustainable Elk Population.

Elk have proven to be very destructive. Where a deer will hop a fence an elk heard will just walk through it. Its been a disaster for certain people. I will be an eager Tag applicant when the time comes. I think I may go pick up an Elk call and start practising. But from what I heard they are very tame and you can walk right up close to them before they run away.

This is more than likely a result of all the bad press thats been generated by tthe Elk destroying farmers crops and fences versus creating a sustainable Elk Population.

Elk have proven to be very destructive. Where a deer will hop a fence an elk heard will just walk through it. Its been a disaster for certain people. I will be an eager Tag applicant when the time comes. I think I may go pick up an Elk call and start practising. But from what I heard they are very tame and you can walk right up close to them before they run away.

its not that they are tame ...its that they arent afraid....but if you are standing in front of one and you notice the twitching ear as the animal is looking at you and grinding his teeth ...raise your hands with whatever you have to create a "taller than him" illusion and scream at it (chances are he will back up)...unless he actually engages into you with his antlers and feels presure back to him...he will stop his charge after about 5 strides to you ....its wise to carry a long stick for defense should you get cornered...but then again ...youll have a weapon to eliminate the target ...

:canadian:

i should also state that the same applies for a cow but watch out for their hooves....they will cut you like no tomorrow...

Edited by Twocoda

Aren't they like shooting a cow?????

So they have a herd of 400-600 animals, probably not a good idea to open a hut for them yet! That would be an endangered population category for many animals in other areas. Too many conflicting stories about them anyways, to actually know what's going on with them.

Is it that someone want to get a crack at an elk before they are to old to hunt them??? Just saying.

No one really knows, but like I said they have been nothing but bad press in the areas where they have been released. A freind of mine has some property where they roam up near bancroft and although I haven't seem them he said hehas driven right up to them on his tractor and they just keep munching away. I would think a few years of hunting and there will be stampedes everytime they see, smell or hear a human.

All I can say is that if a tag comes my way I would be happy. I will just choose to operate under the ignorance that the MnR has good reason for opening the hunt.

Are they like hunting Caribou... if you spook them and they start heading away, you just drop to the ground and they will come back to see what they saw!! :o:huh:

im my experiences anything low to the ground ...got trampled and

stamped...stay HIGH and loud when being engaged it confuses them to think your bigger/stronger and they back down ...best to have a long stick to lance the animals chest (not head) when it rears up to pounce

Elk =Wapati

Male = Bull

Female = Cow

edit to add ...yes similar to caribou but normally you wont get close to a caribou

Edited by Twocoda