New float reel...

kemper

I'm looking to treat myself to a new float reel this Christmas, leaning towards an Islander because I've always liked them...but there are some really nice customs out there lately also.

Accepting any suggestions, I'll disregard price for discussion purposes.

Of course if anyone has a custom that they need field tested...

Kemper

There's a lot of guys raving about the new Kingpin Imperial including some that I know and respect. I can only assume it's as good as advertised.

Robb Marquette of Riverkeeper reels is starting a new run of 5" Frogwaters that will be improved over the initial run.

The initial run was amazing so it's safe to say this would be a good choice.

Adam Demarco of Paine Falls will be making a run of these beauties in both 41/2 and 5".

(I have one on order myself :) )

painefalls.jpg

There's a lot of guys raving about the new Kingpin Imperial including some that I know and respect. I can only assume it's as good as advertised.

Robb Marquette of Riverkeeper reels is starting a new run of 5" Frogwaters that will be improved over the initial run.

The initial run was amazing so it's safe to say this would be a good choice.

Adam Demarco of Paine Falls will be making a run of these beauties in both 41/2 and 5".

(I have one on order myself smile.gif )

painefalls.jpg

I'm waiting on one of those myself from Adam. I was gonna go with an all black one untill he sent me that exact pic lol

Riverkeepers/Frogwaters are certainly great reels - I like my champagne coloured one a lot however I thought you might like an unbiased review of the reel. As is the case with most reels with incredibly tight tolerances, the Riverkeeper will foul easily with even tiny amounts of sand or grit. The Notty is my "home water" and even when I'm very, very careful with it I always seem to get that horrid grinding noise (though the Notty is on the extreme of conditions that you'd face due to the vast amounts of sand there). That said, usually a quick rinse with clean water solves the problem and it's not as much of an issue on freestone rivers.

In addition, if you do a lot of winter Steelheading (ie when the daytime temps don't get above freezing), this might not be the best reel for you as any amount of snow or water will freeze inside and immobilize it (again due to the tight tolerances).

As mentioned, a new and improved run is coming out which may address these issues.

You certainly won't go wrong with an Islander - probably the best production reel out there IMHO and it's my go-to reel when the temperatures drop and the snow flies. If only they would come out with a 5" model!!!

Edited by wallacio

im currently running an islander and love it! i got mine lightly used, cant go wrong for the price! i have also heard great things about the imperial as tripper said...

Joe, buddy, don't you mean solopaddler? :lol:

For those that don't know my handle on a few other boards is Tripper.

It actually was Tripper on this board as well waaaay back when.

When the board was upgraded it didn't allow me log on with my old username so I chose solopaddler.

On a side note, Joe let's try and get out fishing again soon.

I typed a bunch of stuff and for some reason it all disappeared ... anyway ...

I'm hoping to buy myself a new float-reel-xmas-present as well haha.

Been using my aventa for the last 2 years and i'm looking to get an islander. I know down the road I will want to upgrade but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Just going to take it one step at a time and I guess it would allow me to really appreciate the quality of the craftmanship/engineering that the higher end reels offer.

Just waiting for a black/grey islander to pop up in the classified now ... the gold is just too blingbling for me

Been using my aventa for the last 2 years and i'm looking to get an islander. I know down the road I will want to upgrade but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Just going to take it one step at a time and I guess it would allow me to really appreciate the quality of the craftmanship/engineering that the higher end reels offer.

Just waiting for a black/grey islander to pop up in the classified now ... the gold is just too blingbling for me

The Islander is a great choice.

It's been mentioned they may come out with a 5" version. If they ever do I'll be all over it.

BEST BANG ON THE MARKET FOR YOUR DOLLAR IS THE ISLANDER. ITS FLAWLESS BUT ALSO MASS PRODUCED.

EVERYONE HAS THERE PREFERENCES TO SIZE AND WEIGHT AS WELL.

HAD AN ISLANDER FOR YRS.

I LIKE TO HAVE SOMETHIN DIFF SO I HAVE A RIVERRUN.

ONLY 2 OF MINE OUT THERE.

BUT WHEN YA GET INTO CUSTOM REELS THEY ALSO COME AT A GREAT COST.

BUT IF I HAD TO PICK 1 REEL TO HAVE TO USE THE REST OF MY LIFE IT WOULD BE THE ISLANDER

The Islander is a great choice.

It's been mentioned they may come out with a 5" version. If they ever do I'll be all over it.

Ironically, they've come out with something a little smaller but thats because of high demand on the West Coast(Searun Reel). But you're right, there is talk of a larger version of the Steelheader; I hope they pull the trigger on that as well.

Ironically, they've come out with something a little smaller but thats because of high demand on the West Coast(Searun Reel). But you're right, there is talk of a larger version of the Steelheader; I hope they pull the trigger on that as well.

I've been hearing about this 5" Islander for a while now, does anyone know anything official?

I'd hate to go pick up the original if there is a 5" in the works...

Riverkeepers/Frogwaters are certainly great reels - I like my champagne coloured one a lot however I thought you might like an unbiased review of the reel. As is the case with most reels with incredibly tight tolerances, the Riverkeeper will foul easily with even tiny amounts of sand or grit. The Notty is my "home water" and even when I'm very, very careful with it I always seem to get that horrid grinding noise (though the Notty is on the extreme of conditions that you'd face due to the vast amounts of sand there). That said, usually a quick rinse with clean water solves the problem and it's not as much of an issue on freestone rivers.

In addition, if you do a lot of winter Steelheading (ie when the daytime temps don't get above freezing), this might not be the best reel for you as any amount of snow or water will freeze inside and immobilize it (again due to the tight tolerances).

As mentioned, a new and improved run is coming out which may address these issues.

You certainly won't go wrong with an Islander - probably the best production reel out there IMHO and it's my go-to reel when the temperatures drop and the snow flies. If only they would come out with a 5" model!!!

a quick reply on the tight tolerance thing, i personally believe that tight tolerances is an advantage when applied on the right places, it will however, like wallacio said, be quite annoying when a little bit of dirt would spoil the fishing. clearance on the right places does a lot of good as well. tight tolerances in the right place,will in my opinion, make the reel stay true for a long long time...

Edited by spinnerdoc

hey Vic, i MIGHT be selling my green islander :)

Buy a riverkeeper/frogwater reel, not an islander or a Kingpin... Rob makes these reels out of his pro-shop in Stratford, and specifically makes these reels for Ontario/Great Lakes river and streams. Islander/Kingpin reels are made either for out west fishing or float fishing for carp and creek chub in England - take your pick.

Email/ Call him and met up with him if you can, he's an awesome guy, and will always stand behind his reels no matter the issue.

I've been hearing about this 5" Islander for a while now, does anyone know anything official?

I'd hate to go pick up the original if there is a 5" in the works...

I actually conversed with my contact at Islander yesterday. They're still talking about it but right now they are working on a new spey reel design for the time being. 5" float reel model is on the horizon but not anytime soon.

I actually conversed with my contact at Islander yesterday. They're still talking about it but right now they are working on a new spey reel design for the time being. 5" float reel model is on the horizon but not anytime soon.

This is in line with the info that I've received from two different individuals who have direct contacts at Islander. Basically, the idea of a 5" model is being kicked around but the overall demand is not great enough for it to be an immediate priority.