Trouble getting Rapala reel parts

Lunker Larry

Hey everyone. A friend of mine gave me a Rapala RSC 30 LC reel to fix for him. All it needs is a clutch bearing/anti reverse bearing (not sure of proper name). Problem is, I am unable to find anyone, anywhere in Canada that provides parts. I can't even find Rapala schematics (except for about 6 spin cast reels).

I have an e-mail in to Rapala and have also phoned Normark in Oshawa. I'm to call back Friday but it doesn't look promising. I just sent an e-mail to Nutter Rod and Reel Service in Georgia, USA which boasts that it is the ONLY Rapala service centre in the entire US. Hopefully they will come through.

Does anyone know where you can get Rapala reel parts in Canada? Has anyone else had this problem? Seems odd that such a large company has such limited service for its reels.

Larry

Edited by Lunker Larry

Hey everyone. A friend of mine gave me a Rapala RSC 30 LC reel to fix for him. All it needs is a clutch bearing/anti reverse bearing (not sure of proper name). Problem is, I am unable to find anyone, anywhere in Canada that provides parts. I can't even find Rapala schematics (except for about 6 spin cast reels).

I have an e-mail in to Rapala and have also phoned Normark in Oshawa. I'm to call back Friday but it doesn't look promising. I just sent an e-mail to Nutter Rod and Reel Service in Georgia, USA which boasts that it is the ONLY Rapala service centre in the country. Hopefully they will come through.

Does anyone know where you can get Rapala reel parts in Canada? Has anyone else had this problem? Seems odd that such a large company has such limited service for its reels.

Larry

Cant promise anything but this guy has a very good rep.

Rocky's Tackle Repair (CA)

3 Royce Ave. Unit 12 Orilla, ON L3V 5H8

Phone: (705) 325-3526

Edited by BrianB

That sucks!!! You'd think that Rapala would have some sort of a parts network and warranty shops!!. Don't think I'd be buying a Rapala reel anytime soon if no one comes up with a decent solution. Try contacting Aaron Shirley on the board here, he's a Rapala pro staffer and might be able to help you. The reels look nice and feel good, it's too bad if they can't be fixed if they break.

Thankyou everyone for your assistance and concern.

I heard back from Rapala out of Oshawa (I think it is). I can order the part through them and they will also provide me with a schematic so I can provide the correct part number, so thats great. Apparently the point of contact for this has been away so, me being impatient, I kept trying everywhere.

Having said that, it still seems funny that for such an international company, I could only find one place for parts in the entire US and only one in Canada and I couldn't find any schematics on the internet anywhere. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the service is good, but, I still find it strange.

Thanks again to everyone and thanks Aaron for the offer of assistance.

Have a very Merry Christmas everyone.

Thankyou everyone for your assistance and concern.

I heard back from Rapala out of Oshawa (I think it is). I can order the part through them and they will also provide me with a schematic so I can provide the correct part number, so thats great. Apparently the point of contact for this has been away so, me being impatient, I kept trying everywhere.

Having said that, it still seems funny that for such an international company, I could only find one place for parts in the entire US and only one in Canada and I couldn't find any schematics on the internet anywhere. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the service is good, but, I still find it strange.

Thanks again to everyone and thanks Aaron for the offer of assistance.

Have a very Merry Christmas everyone.

Larry,

Your post is very 'telling'. I certainly will never consider Rapala as an alternative based on this thread and your 'less than positive' experiences.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Pikeslayer

Glad to hear you got it sorted out Larry.

The schematics are included in print inside the box when the reel is purchased, although many people just throw it out with the box.

Although Rapala is an international company, the newer rods and reels available are exclusive to Canada. The rods and reels are designed in Oshawa and they are built specifically for the Canadian market. The newer Rapala rods and reels are only available in Canada. They are not even available in the US. The contact you found in the US was more than likely for the older American Rapala rod and reel program, which has been discontinued. Head office in Oshawa is the place to get help in Canada for any Rapala owned products.

Have a Merry Christmas as well!

It sounds like the same path I took getting parts for my TICA reel once you found the door in it was easy as pie to get what you wanted. I found their website and then had to send them an Email with my request. They then called me back within 12 hours and the parts were shipped to me in 2 days. The cost of the parts was really reasonable and shipping was actually the cost of shipping. I would guess that with the cost of multi offices they are centrally located which is not bad considering the amount of communications methods we have at hand.

Art

Here's an update on this.

Never heard anything from the supposed only place in the US that supplies parts, but I did get in touch with the service department of Normark Inc in Oshawa.

For those with Rapala reels, what I found out is they don't supply parts. What I was told is that they usually replace the reel. Strange but apparently true.

That's why there are no schematics anywhere and repair depots don't do Rapala. So, before scrapping the reel, contact Rapala and see what they can do. The contact I spoke with at Rapala was very friendly and helpful.

Good luck to any Rapala owners or those that may get one for Christmas.

LL

I have a Abu Garcia spinning reel that light line 4/6# test would get pinched between the bail roller and it's saddle...got tired of it as it would break the line sometimes...called Abu Garcia and they said send it to them at Spirit Lake, IA...(this is a center for a lot of different manufactures). They sent me back a brand new reel and I didn't even have a receipt but it was still in the 1 year warranty.