cross border shopping is it really worth the deals

aniceguy

Yep, that's what the PM from Newfoundland did when he needed a heart job.... :devil:

He chose to do that and paid for it himself. Are you saying you are ready to do the same. If you are, than feel good about shopping across the border. What I'm trying to say is look at the whole picture and stop looking at it for selfish reasons.

He chose to do that and paid for it himself. Are you saying you are ready to do the same. If you are, than feel good about shopping across the border. What I'm trying to say is look at the whole picture and stop looking at it for selfish reasons.

LOL....I already live on the USA side...but you have some good points...

Bob :santa:

if you really want to save with your shopping do what i do...shop in California where prices are so bloody cheap my wife will pick up an entire wardrobe for $100US

thats exactly what i used to do every year when i went down there ...go down with three empty huge suit cases and come back with them packed full of clothes...and wine

Edited by Twocoda

The whole picture? Please enlighten us!

So you'll also need to explain why my fair of taxes (just like yours) does not entitle me to health care in Ontario?

The whole picture? Please enlighten us!

So you'll also need to explain why my fair of taxes (just like yours) does not entitle me to health care in Ontario?

Ever heard the quote: Out of job yet? Keep buying foreign. Look at the social benefits that you get from this country compared to what they get in the states. Your dollars spent in this country allows business to profit, who in turn put taxes in the system that YOU also benefit from. Going to the states once in a while I can see, but making a habit of it certainly does not help our country, and in the long run those who shop there.

You go right ahead and come on down and shop.. I balance you out for a couple of thousand a year on my fishing trips up North. I don't even stop for the refund at the border it's the least I can do for your Great Nation.

Art

Ever heard the quote: Out of job yet? Keep buying foreign. Look at the social benefits that you get from this country compared to what they get in the states. Your dollars spent in this country allows business to profit, who in turn put taxes in the system that YOU also benefit from. Going to the states once in a while I can see, but making a habit of it certainly does not help our country, and in the long run those who shop there.

You seem to have it all figure out. The whole picture however, I think not!

You buy foreign just about every time you walk in a store on Canadian soil.

You can continue to shop at big box stores in Canada and buy all those overseas products and ship the sales profits down to $20 billion man Sam Walton as he refuses to pay the Canada store workers more than min wage. Or buy a car from a North American auto company (US owned and operated) that outsources the majority of the content overseas to increase the profit line and puts the Canadian and US workers out of good paying jobs and they hopefully end up at a min wage job. Or get gouged at the pump by gas companies that are mainly controlled by out of country interests and is taxed through the roof. Or pay twice as much for milk products because the milk board dictates it. This goes on and on.

How many products do you buy that are made in Canada?

This is a large economic engine and retail is only a very small part of it. Remove the good paying jobs by outsourcing, remove the customers, close the business, both retail and service alike.

We are in a world economy, why should a retail or manufacturing business be allowed to shop out of the country and we can not? A major US owned Canadian retailer is about to move the textile business to another third world country to increase profits. And you can bet those extra profits will stay in the US and they will escape with paying the minimal tax possible here in Canada.

Think about what this country would be without our largest trade partner and neighbor and perhaps you will see that we are both in this together and that is the whole picture. If you think for one minute that if the US economy goes down we are not going follow, my friend you are sadly mistaken.

Edited by bucont

You seem to have it all figure out. The whole picture however, I think not!

You buy foreign just about every time you walk in a store on Canadian soil.

You can continue to shop at big box stores in Canada and buy all those overseas products and ship the sales profits down to $20 billion man Sam Walton as he refuses to pay the Canada store workers more than min wage. Or buy a car from a North American auto company (US owned and operated) that outsources the majority of the content overseas to increase the profit line and puts the Canadian and US workers out of good paying jobs and they hopefully end up at a min wage job. Or get gouged at the pump by gas companies that are mainly controlled by out of country interests and is taxed through the roof. Or pay twice as much for milk products because the milk board dictates it. This goes on and on.

How many products do you buy that are made in Canada?

This is large economic engine and retail is only a very small part of it. Remove the good paying jobs by outsourcing, remove the customers, close the business, both retail and service alike.

We are in a world economy, why should a retail or manufacturing business be allowed to shop out of the country and we can not? A major US owned Canadian retailer is about to move the textile business to another third world country to increase profits. And you can bet those extra profits will stay in the US and they will escape with paying the minimal tax possible here in Canada.

Think about what this country would be without our largest trade partner and neighbor and perhaps you will see that we are both in this together and that is the whole picture. If you think for one minute that if the US economy goes down we are not going follow, my friend you are sadly mistaken.

Well said my friend with both countries working together it is possible we all might get out of this with a buck or two in our pockets.

At

If you go to Grove City Pa its well worth it. There is a huge outlet mall there that has some amazing deals (1/4 the price). There is also a fishing store just down the street from the outlet mall that has great prices and selection. Google Grove City Outlet mall.

I know people from Cleveland who go there to shop. They swear by it.

JF

Be the way who is still waiting for the Canadian retailers to drop the prices due to the HST?

Don't hold yer breath. Whatever happens in that department will gradually show up over the first 5 years but the difference if any will be buried in inflationary increases. I do believe it will happen but we'll be hard-pressed to recognize it when it happens.

JF

Christmas Eve I will be shopping in Fairfield, Ohio at the largest grocery store in the world......Jungle Jims...http://www.junglejims.com/

Gonna buy a BIG Standing Rib Roast and treat some Air Force guys who couldn't get home for the holidays a nice home cooked meal.... :santa:

Merry Christmas (not happy holidays)

Bob

I was once a staunch defender of the Buy Canadian movement but over the years it's become evident that there are few Canadian businesses, just businesses located in Canada. The big box stores use a part timer only strategy so really aren't paying much better than poor wages and the companies are owned out of country. I'm no longer sure that I'm helping the Candian economy by paying extra to buy locally. Case in point - I was commended and criticized for driving a Honda and a GM minivan. Guess which vehicle they commended me for? The van, of course, which was American built. The Honda was the cause of my castigation. It was built in Alliston. Clearly most folks who preach this stuff are blowing smoke.

Another reason for me to shop elsewhere is that I live in a small Ontario town which for more than half the year is overrun by tourists, many of them from the States here to enjoy the theatre. This means specialized boutique type retail stores with high prices and snooty restaurants which serve excellent food but the prices are outasight (read high).

Since I'm in the Cleveland area so much it's just easier to shop there. In the course of exploring that area I've discovered certain stores that offer great deals for the stuff I buy. Kohl's department has a fairly good selection of brand name clothes although I'm not impressed with the house brand products so I buy a lot of clothes there. Gander Mtn, although generally not full of bargains for me, occasionally has a plum to offer. Last New Years Day I picked up a small Calcutta for $95 and could have had a Quantum Energy spinning reel for the same price. The trick is to drop in occasionally and see what's available. Sam's Club often has deals on common household items in the grocery department and soap and toothpaste type stuff. Groceries are a great deal but generally it isn't practical to take advantage of much of that stuff. Gas is a great price, even when it's way up there.

We always visit a large outlet mall (Aurora Farms) just outside of Solon and I can generally find good shoe deals at Bass, shirts & pants at Van Heusen, underwear at a Hanes store, pants at Haggar, sweaters at Eddy Bauer and a variety of other things. Once in a while I spot a great sweater at Nautica or Polo. The trick is to know the stores and where to shop. I suppose if I hung out in the GTA enough I'd learn where to shop there too. For instance I discovered a very out of the way manufacturers outlet in an industrial mall near the airport where I can get great deals on track suits & Stormtech jackets etc. The problem is that I almost need a map to find the place it's so hidden away.

I wouldn't go to the States just for the shopping. We visit back and forth with relatives from Solon at least once every 3 months and over the years have come to feel pretty comfortable in the Solon area. I think the other thing is that I never think to just go shopping around here unless I need something and I just want to get it done. I relax in Solon and just wander around the stores and malls for entertainment. I buy stuff when I spot outstanding deals on things I need or just can't resist because of the great price.

JF

Guest Johnny Bass

Gas, beer and groceries are much cheaper. A $2 border crossing fee and we get about a $50 per week savings. Plus I get to go into Gander and Dick's as well. Round trip takes us about 2 hour and we are done.

All duties have pretty much been removed due to the trade agreements Canada has entered into.

The major Canadian retailers want you to think they dropping prices. Sears stating they were matching US Sears prices on black Friday, not so. We are looking at fridge from Sears and the US price was still $400 less. dunno.gif

Be the way who is still waiting for the Canadian retailers to drop the prices due to the HST? blahblah1.gif

On the good side I am seeing a price correction on Cabelas Canadian site vs the US, about a $5 diff on $30 item. good.gif It is a good start.

Never mind because of the HST. Because of our soaring loonie!!!!They said it would take a bit for the old stock to be moved. Well....its been much longer then a bit.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Yep, that's what the PM from Newfoundland did when he needed a heart job.... :devil:

Sure he was one of the lucky ones that could afford to. Most Americans themselves, could not.

Too bad he was forced out of politics......good guy.

Guest Johnny Bass

I try to support the local economy,Obama says buy American,don t ship anything in,and i say buy Canadian,no matter,it all comes from China anyway,might as well support the importers in your own country.

They should open up a Box store that sells only Canadian(and some US). They did that in Germany and it is very successful. I think the trade off is ok. Some Canadians go to the States, and some Americans spend their money in Cananda.But I think Americans get a tax exemption???

Anyways, I remember cross border shopping wayyyyy back before our loonie did a nose dive.The cheapest thing I used to buy in America were my leather jackets. You could save $500+ dollars easy.

Christmas Eve I will be shopping in Fairfield, Ohio at the largest grocery store in the world......Jungle Jims...http://www.junglejims.com/

Gonna buy a BIG Standing Rib Roast and treat some Air Force guys who couldn't get home for the holidays a nice home cooked meal.... :santa:

Merry Christmas (not happy holidays)

Bob

Good on ya, BB. Both for feeding the guys who can't get home and for the Merry Christmas. I get sick of being told it's not pc to wish folks a Merry Christmas. If they don't like it then ignore it but don't try to make me toe someone else's beliefs line.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

JF

Good on ya, BB. Both for feeding the guys who can't get home and for the Merry Christmas. I get sick of being told it's not pc to wish folks a Merry Christmas. If they don't like it then ignore it but don't try to make me toe someone else's beliefs line.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

JF

For many many years in our household we have displayed CHRISTMAS cards that folks send us...well last year we started a new tradition rule...the cards that say Christmas on them will be displayed...others discarded....

Now think about this...

You have a Christmas Tree in the house, not a holiday tree

You give and receive Christmas Presents, not holiday presents

You eat Christmas Cookies, not holiday cookies

You sing/listen to Christmas carols, not holiday carols.

If you send me a holiday card, what holiday is it for....Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July or maybe it's a very early Labor Day card... :whistling:

And who enjoys Christmas the most...our Jewish friends as they laugh all the way to the bank...God Bless them... :santa:

MERRY CHRISTMAS Everyone,

Bob not Billy... :P

They should open up a Box store that sells only Canadian(and some US). They did that in Germany and it is very successful. I think the trade off is ok. Some Canadians go to the States, and some Americans spend their money in Cananda.But I think Americans get a tax exemption???

Anyways, I remember cross border shopping wayyyyy back before our loonie did a nose dive.The cheapest thing I used to buy in America were my leather jackets. You could save $500+ dollars easy.

When I travel up North The lodges charge GST. We can send in a copy of our receipt and a form and Canada will refund the GST that applies to the lodging the HST is not refundable. I personally do not file for the refund it is a small price to pay for the fun we have up North.

Art