Net or Scarf

bassnass

All very good points. I use both but mostly net. On a side note now that we are talkin tying roe....Fabricland carries something called knitting elastic. Pick up a couple rolls of this stuff. Its exactly the same as spider thread at 1/4 the cost. One roll will last forever.

A question for you guys? How many tie before heading out,and how many bring a jar or what ever, and tie at the river? I know it,s harder with the colder temps. There are times when size and color matters. Tie all night and find out it,s the wrong color or size for the conditions.

Myself I would tie the night before. A dozen in the of each in nickle size, of white,chartruse and hot pink. I would also have a small gerbers jar of eggs just incase the the conditions werent right for what I tied. Also, I boiled my own eggs to make singles.The mrs,s dont miss those days.Could never understand that. Smelt like nans fish and brews. :lol:

One time, and only one time,I hit the nail on the head with some ruby red singles. I was boiling some eggs for singles and doing beets at the same time. I thought what the heck,lets see if this will work . The eggs were just about done and I added some beet juice to the water. Man ,they were so sweet. Ever since then,I could never do it. :wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by BrianB

Thanks, Folks. I just tried scarf tonight...I'm sticking with net, I think. I find it quicker bc there's less cutting than with the scarf - and I also found that spider thread didn't hold as well on the scarf. Unless I just have kife scarf (it's 100% nylon, from Gagnon's)

I use scissors to clip crushed bags - so rip, no rip - don't matter.

msp - great tip on the knitting elastic - I'm sure everyone appreciates that as much as I do.

What's an Egg loop??

Beet juice boiled eggs?! Nice!

Personally (and I'm not very experienced...) I don't tie too many colours - I like something that matches the eggs, and then a pink that's a little brighter. I think the size is far more important than sac colour. I DEF. tie before I go out. F wasting time on the river, or fiddling with that crap in the cold. - Tie a bunch of sizes from 2 eggs to almost the size of a loonie, in the couple of diff. colours, and throw them in a snap-top M&M's candy container. I just pick and choose based on what I think on the water.

Edited by LincolnG

A question for you guys? How many tie before heading out,and how many bring a jar or what ever, and tie at the river? I know it,s harder with the colder temps. There are times when size and color matters. Tie all night and find out it,s the wrong color or size for the conditions.

Myself I would tie the night before. A dozen in the of each in nickle size, of white,chartruse and hot pink. I would also have a small gerbers jar of eggs just incase the the conditions werent right for what I tied. Also, I boiled my own eggs to make singles.The mrs,s dont miss those days.Could never understand that. Smelt like nans fish and brews. :lol:

One time, and only one time,I hit the nail on the head with some ruby red singles. I was boiling some eggs for singles and doing beets at the same time. I thought what the heck,lets see if this will work . The eggs were just about done and I added some beet juice to the water. Man ,they were so sweet. Ever since then,I could never do it. :wallbash::wallbash:

I laugh at the guys who tie on the river. :lol:

At any given time I have hundreds pre-tied in every size, shape and colour imaginable.

At any given time I have hundreds pre-tied in every size, shape and colour imaginable.

You laughing at me,you laughing at me :whistling::sarcasm::lol:

You fish the rivers like a mad man ;) .I would think you would have that amount tyed.LOL

I do not tie roe I burn it with a soldering gun.I twist the netting and burn the end.Melts together,very fast.

I had one of those soldering/tying thingys they used to sell. Probably at least 30 years ago.

It was an okay concept, but my problem with it, it didn't tie the bags tight enough.

Way too loose for my liking.

i pre tie at home when its a planned outting ...but more than often ...if i find some time to hit the river on a whim....(its only two minutes away)...it takes no time to rattle off 5- 10 bags along side the river ..