Chilly Morning Trout...

ccmtcanada

After all the rains early this week, I knew I had to make some time to fish a local creek or two. Water is still up about 8" more than normal, and running fast. It was stained a bit more than I hoped, but there was about 10" of visibility.

It was chilly out....about -5C when I hit creekside.

IMG01399.jpg

When the sun began to come up over the trees, the fish started biting! As expected, there were lots of people out, and all my favourite spots were taken, so I concentrated on lead in and tail outs that are normally too shallow for me to fish, but had a little depth because of the water levels.

I caught a few smaller steelhead early on....about this size...

IMG01397.jpg

I kept close to my favourite spot...and when it finally vacated, I headed over to it. First cast...the wind took it and I had a tangle that was too much to even think about trying to deal with, so I cut the line and had to rig all over again. The waters looked great here....and as my fingers began to get numb, I was finally able to drift again.

It didn't take long....my float went down hard...set the hook and I see the boil...and white belly of a nice steelie! About 15 minutes later it goes down again, this time the fish is hooked nicely! I felt the weight and it was a nice sized fish! I thought it strange that it wasn't fighting all that hard, until I saw it as it got close. I got a nice female brown! A few quick pics and back into the creek she went!

IMG01405.jpg

IMG01407.jpg

Not bad for a few hours out on a chilly Saturday morning....I think I'll be out again tomorrow morning!!!

nice catch cliff.

maybe i should trade in my river fishing guide for someone who actually catches fish LOL

just kidding geoff, but maybe you can talk cliff into teaching US how to catch them.....

I would if I had known he was going! I would see about tomorrow but I can't, son's b-day party starts at 10:00AM.

*edit* oh an BTW, you were the guide the other day! :whistling:

Edited by GBW

NICE FAT BROWN BRO. WAS GONNA GO OUT TOO BUT GOT A NEW PUPPY LAST NIGHT AND WIFE AT WORK SO IM ON DOGGY DUTY LOL

WATERS SHOULD OF BEEN PRIMO TODAY

Thanks Scott! Hope we get a chance to drift a few over the next months!

Well done Cliff. I think I'll be hitting the river tomorrow...

You mean the one 30 feet from your doorstep?! You are so lucky to have that Chris!

nice fish, going out in the am, going to try and get my son his first trout :Gonefishing:

Good luck!!! Hope to see a report with your son holding a trout :)

nice catch cliff.

maybe i should trade in my river fishing guide for someone who actually catches fish LOL

just kidding geoff, but maybe you can talk cliff into teaching US how to catch them.....

LOL...I can show you around some of the local creeks...do you have waders???

Nice brown Cliff, well done. (She looked to be teeming with eggs :o )

She was...I've been doing fine using the salmon roe I have frozen in the freezer, so I let her swim to see another day!

I would if I had known he was going! I would see about tomorrow but I can't, son's b-day party starts at 10:00AM.

*edit* oh an BTW, you were the guide the other day! :whistling:

Not sure what's going on with you and skeeter....but I will let you know when I'm headed out again...maybe Sunday morning if it's not too cold out there LOL