When to go to Nova Scotia?

scuro2

My mother turns 75 this year so I am taking her to Nova Scotia and staying at a cottage or resort for the week. She normally lingers in bed until 10 and goes to bed early so there is the chance to fish mornings or evenings. She likes to sight see in the car so a location in the central part of the provience near lunenburg or on the corresponding western shore would be ideal. We can go anytime from the 2nd week of July till the 3rd week of August.

I have heard about stripers but don't know if that would be a good time to go. I love fishing lakers, brookies...bass if they are big enough. Basically I like fishing anything that is "on". Any suggestions?

You should be just in time for a mack attack. Time the tides right fishing the surf or any of the wharves and mackerel is a lot of fun...great eating too.

A little olive oil on the outside a few pieces of lemon on the inside and a few minutes each side

on the BBQ..................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I've caught mackerel in Cape Breton. When they are on they are on...fish every cast. It was a lot of fun to fish mackerel with my daughters at the time because they were still young. But...I'm looking for more of a challenge. I've heard a lot about stripers...is that time of year the right season?

I remember fishing off the causeway going to Cape Breton Island producing a half dozen or so mackeral off the bank with spoons and spinners.

Also if you can get out in evenings i remember being at a small inlet and fishing the entrance when hundreds of mackeral swam through hit a few spoons then left in a matter of minutes. Will be going there again in a year or so hopefully just with my dad and little brother.

Sorry for no specifics, nice to remember that province though, such beautiful land out that way.

Also I went during the first 2 weeks of August.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Summer is not the time for stripers in the rivers. They'll be back offshore by the times you've given. You can still pick em off river and harbour mouths. Cape Breton and the Margaree.

In the evening you can fish off the Govt wharf in Lunenberg. Great for squidding in the evening. Halfway tween Liverpool and Annapolis is Kejimkujik national park. Some decent C&R brookie waters, as I recall. You may need a special permit ( it was a long time back).

You'll be a lot more satisfied going at that time than I was going in April. According to the guides I talked to when I was there, the month of June is best for stripers but they can be caught all summer long off the beaches.

Have you tries this site?

http://www.novascotiafishing.com/forums/

That time of year smallmouth would be your easiest catch but trout can still be found.

Southwestern N.S.- alot of smallmouth and chain pickerel few trout that time of year(freshwater);can be stripers,bluefish,mackerel if you hit the time right.

Mersey river has smallies now,was only trout salmon...shame someone put them there.

Towards Cape Breton mostly trout,salmon althouth some stuipd person put chain pickerel and smallies on the island;not good for our trout and salmon.

Like I said,that site people will put you on fish may even take you in a boat if you want.

Time of year is everything for alot of saltwater species.

Edited by zum

• 3 weeks later...

Part 2

Found what looks to be a good spot. The Mersey River Lodge http://www.merseylodge.com/ looks to be the type of place I like. I can't find hardly any info on it, how long it has been in business etc. No second hand reports, nothing on trip advisor, CAA ..etc It looks to be owned by the Vladi Private Islands (Canada) Limited. Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by scuro2