Found a place for our youngest on the side of

irishfield

Right outside the Waterloo Architecture building there are steps down to the cement ledge.. I can sit there all day and fish while I wait for her to be ready to go!!! If there are any fish there... (it's either that or the steps to the Brewery!)

Edited by irishfield

Hey Wayne - Nice part of town,I used to live there. Before a rather tragic pair of drownings a few years ago you could catch smallies around there . After the drowinings they filled in some underwater sluices that let the mud and sediment drain through. Then the sediment started backing up, and within a year or two even when launching my little 12 footer the skeg would drag in the muck. I imagine now its probably backed up half way to the bluffs. Since then cats and bullheads have been about all I have heard from there. I never fished below the damn, but have seen people trying. There are however paths that run along the rivers edge and you can get access at various points along there both north and south. The old rail trail goes for miles. The walks are very relaxing - you can see deer, the occaisional wild turkey and in the spring there is a pair of nesting bald eagles up at Blair that fly the river looking for prey. You'll also see the occaissional passing Osprey around bass opening weekend. Just try your luck along the walk ways and you'll hook into smallies. Galt creek has some trout, and there are a few other nearby spots. Drop me a line if you come down this way and I'd be happy to show you a few spots or drop the canoe in for a 4 hours trip and some bass fishin - get into some nice 17 inch smallies in fast current. Around Brantford and Paris you can get into some Walleyes, and there are quite a few pike spots around too.

Dunno Wayne, all I know about thr area is that my mothers aunts and uncles all had places right on the river in Galt when

I was really young. In fact a park on the river is in their family name. "Barradell Loft", the old limestone ruins from the area's industrial hayday.

link to it

From the below link:

"Barradell’s Loft is named for Jack Barradell, an English immigrant who organized the Galt Pigeon Club in 1920 and served as its president for 47 years. Barradell was a pigeon breeder and racer for more than 74 years, and one of his pigeon’s named Miss Galt held the speed and distance record for Canada and the British Isles, going from Galt to Oklahoma City, Texas, a flight of 1,066 miles in three days, 10 hours an 15 minutes."

loft

Edit, I think that bird was jet propelled or had a hell of a tail wind!

Edited by pikehunter

School of Architecture has the best unknown basketball court in the city. My son and I go there to shoot when the weather is nice. Wayne there is decent smallmouth fishing all along the river from the dam down. Walk up the river a bit in the warmer weather and stop in at Barnacle Bill's for some ice cream cones to eat on the park benches and watch the river roll by. Or get some fish and chips if you practice C&R but have a hankerin for some fish.

I'd stick with the brewery LOL...

The "Galt knife" is a great brew, and the seasonal Growlers are usually stellar.

I've had the privilage to meet brewmaster a few times, and Rob is pretty passonate about his beers.

Fishing wise...

That section of the river has never impressed me :dunno: