Flordia Fishing Fort Lauderdale.

mike hagan

Hi All.

Will be heading to Fort Lauderdale in late December and early Jan.

I have a delemma on hand and was hoping you could make up my mind on what to fish for.

I know a lot of you are Bass fisherman out there so this survey might sway towards bass.

But I mostly fish for bass here in Ontario and love every chance I get to land that trophy bass ,but the biggest one i've caught is just over 6 lbs.

I know in fort lauderdale the chance of catching a 10 lb is good and would be a once in a lifetime to land one of these monsters.

But I have always wanted to hook into a monster Tarpon and will never have that chance in Ontario.

So what would you suggest , Monster bass or Tarpon.

If you have any knowledge of Fort Lauderdale it would be a great help in influencing my decision.

I will be hiring a guide so if you know of any quality guides in the area with numbers or emails would be great so I can discuss with them personally.

I look forward to your reply and thank you in advance for all you suggestions.

I lived in Lauderdale for most of my life and I'd say both! Spend some money on a guide for Tarpon and hit any canal or pond for Peacocks and Largies, pretty much any freshwater has bass. Don't expect a 10+ right around Lauderdale, their few and far between in the canals/ponds and even out of holiday park in the everglades you don't see many 10's. If you looking for the dime go more north to Lake O or the Kissimee chain or even St. Johns river. Where in Lauderdale are you going to be? Most of the tackle shop guys will give you some info! Get a bucket of shiners and your set!

-Ben

Might not be the right season for targetting tarpon. They tend to be a warm water fish and stay offshore in the cold months. YOu might be better off shinner fishing for trophy bass that time of year. Also check a couple of party boats in the area, and call down to find out what the best target will be that time of year. maybe cobia, grouper or billfish?

I was there last year on a company trip. Chartered Marlin My Darlin fishing for --- Marlin. We hooked a 20lb bluefin , a whack of king fish and went 0-2 for Marlin. Unfortunately our 8 hour charter got cut short due to a major storm blowing in and we had to cut the line on the second Marlin wallbash.gif But that was in the fall, too. He said in the spring he fishes for sharks - big sharks.

Edited by spincast

It is not the tarpon season...you would need perfect weather and a good guide to have a shot at inshore tarpon and you may still be skunked. This time of year I think they are fishing reds. It's great to fish on the ocean but if it is not warm do the bass.