Furuno fish finders - are they any good?

Canadave

I've been checking out all kinds of sites looking for a new fish finder. I came across this Furuno which based on the features seems to be good value for $295.99, regularly priced at $385. I know nothing about Furuno except that they seem to make a lot of high end fish finders. Does anyone know anything about the qulity of Furuno or this particular model?

Furuno Fish Finders

FREE SHIPPING available for this item when using UPS Ground.

Model #: LS4100/TM

Description:

Furuno LS4100/TM 5" Mono LCD Fish Finders 50/200 KHZ 350 Watt (D&T) Includes TM Transducer. The LS4100 is a dual frequency fish finder designed for small pleasure craft. It features a waterproof 5” high-definition silver bright LCD screen that offers a remarkably detailed picture of fish and bottom structure. With a resolution of 240 (H) x 320 (V) pixels, it has the highest resolution in its class! The LS4100 offers dual frequency capabilities, both 50 and 200 kHz, and has an outstanding 300 W RMS (2,400 Watt peak-to-peak) output power, making this fish finder the leader in its class. Basic display modes include single Low Frequency or High Frequency, Dual, Bottom-Lock Expansion, Bottom Zoom, A-scope, Marker Zoom and two Nav Data display modes. Choose from a variety of operating modes, including manual or two auto modes, fishing or cruising. The cruising mode uses a higher clutter refection setting than the fishing mode, making it useful to track the bottom while cruising. The range can be changed manually or automatically. The LS4100 will redraw the entire echogram so that the contour can be shown seamlessly. The LS4100 has the unique ability to be a handy navigational organizer when connected to appropriate sensors. It can display a variety of information including: water temperature, wind direction/speed, Lat/Lon, XTE and distance run in a graphical or text format. With the BBWGPS GPS/WAAS receiver connected, the “Mini-Navigator” feature is capable of storing up to 12 waypoints with a programmable name. Any waypoint can be selected as a destination. The LS4100TM comes standard with a dual frequency (50/200kHz) plastic transom mount transducer. The transducer has built in depth and temperature. Multiple Display Modes 1. Normal, Low Frequency/High Frequency 2. Dual Frequency 3. Bottom Lock Expansion 4. Marker Zoom 5. Bottom Zoom 6. A-Scope 7. Two Customizable Navigation Data Display - Displaying digital and analog graphical info, including: Wind Speed/Direction, Ships Speed, Steering Screens and more . Mini Navigator allows storage of up to 12 waypoints, with capability to navigate back to these points using the LS4100s XTE/Range and Bearing calculation and steering screens. Power Requirements 12 VDC, 6 Watts.

•Two NMEA0183 ports - one bi-directional and one

•TLL output sends position, temp and depth to Furuno TLL capable plotters

•Audible and Visual, Temp, Speed, Fish or Bottom Alarm

•Seven depth scales, from 0-10 to 0-640 feet

•White Line Mode for enhanced bottom fish detection

•A-Scope for rapid fish detection and species identification

•Automatic or Manual Depth Range and Gain Adjustment

•Depth offset to 1,500 feet, maximum depth scale of 3,000 feet

•300 Watt RMS (2400 P-P) output power

•Picture resolution of 240(H) x 320(V) pixels

•Targets presented in up to 4 gray tones

•Plastic Transom Mount Transducer with Depth and Temperature

•Dual Frequency - 50 and 200 kHz

•LS4100/TM Waterproof, 5 Inch, Silver Bright Monochrome LCD Display

•Two NMEA0183 ports - one bi-directional and one

•Speed and Temperature input via optional sensor or NMEA data

Shipping Weight: 6 lbs.

Retail Price: $385.00

Our Price: $295.99 You Save 24%

Contact Us

Phone: 305-444-3911

Fax: 305-444-3912

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 305-444-3911

Fax: 305-444-3912

Email: [email protected]

Dave, While I know little about the Furano units, I know even less about this dealer.. 295USD, Then add shipping, brokerage etc... might be cheaper to buy here...

Perhaps Jos @ Angling outfitters can offer you assistance, he is the number one Lowrance/Eagle dealer in Canukistan. Tell him you're budget.. he will work with you.

Angling Outfitters

684460 Road 68

Woodstock, ON

(519) 539-5494

Good Luck!

Dave, While I know little about the Furano units, I know even less about this dealer.. 295USD, Then add shipping, brokerage etc... might be cheaper to buy here...

Perhaps Jos @ Angling outfitters can offer you assistance, he is the number one Lowrance/Eagle dealer in Canukistan. Tell him you're budget.. he will work with you.

Angling Outfitters

684460 Road 68

Woodstock, ON

(519) 539-5494

Good Luck!

What the hell is Furuno? Never heard of it ever. When you incorporate the exchange, duty, and taxes you add another $60-$80 to the purchase price - if you want to buy new, make your purchase from a Canadian retailer, and buy a recognized brand that has a warranty, and customer service that is easily accessible. like Lowrance - my best customer service experience ever -

If that is still too much, buy used from Kajiji or Craigslist - time to time there are lots of good units for sale - lots of time until next season to look for one....

Through the Furano site I found a place in Toronto called Radioworld that sells it for the same price and shipping through Canada Post is only $10. The only difference then between Gander Mountain in Watertown NY is the exchange which is about 2% and our 13% HST vs whatever NY State taxes are which I think is about 7% for a difference of 5%. If I end up getting this sucker I might as well get it here for maybe $20 more than in the U.S. with no hassles and customs headaches. UPS from the U.S. would likely wipe out that difference. I didn't ask but warranty service might be better if I bought it here in Canada. If I decide on something else it looks like i can get it from Radioworld. The guy I spoke to there was knowledgable and helpful and whatever they don't have in stock, they can order.

What the hell is Furuno? Never heard of it ever. When you incorporate the exchange, duty, and taxes you add another $60-$80 to the purchase price - if you want to buy new, make your purchase from a Canadian retailer, and buy a recognized brand that has a warranty, and customer service that is easily accessible. like Lowrance - my best customer service experience ever -

If that is still too much, buy used from Kajiji or Craigslist - time to time there are lots of good units for sale - lots of time until next season to look for one....

CHANCHO ...All I know about Furuno is they're very common on large boats and yachts as well as commercial fishing boats in fresh and salt water which to me says a lot but I'll keep looking on the net for reviews and comparisons. If I don't get one I'll likely go for a Lowrance or Humminbird. Rightly or wrongly commments I've been getting so far makes me a tad nervous about Garmin although they are the nicest looking ones.

Based on researching the web when I was looking around I got the impression that Furuno made some of the best electronics. However, they didn't seem very common around here. As mentioned above it's most likely due to them focusing on the marine market. Anyway, there is also something to be said that most inland lake fishermen are not likely to own one. So personally I'd do some in depth research before I went that route.

I'd also recommend Radioworld. Good prices and service. I love that store.

Based on researching the web when I was looking around I got the impression that Furuno made some of the best electronics. However, they didn't seem very common around here. As mentioned above it's most likely due to them focusing on the marine market. Anyway, there is also something to be said that most inland lake fishermen are not likely to own one. So personally I'd do some in depth research before I went that route.

I'd also recommend Radioworld. Good prices and service. I love that store.

I called Furuno in Washington State and they referred me to a boating website called www.thehulltruth.com. I searched Furuno on the site and there were lots of testimonials about Furuno which were all superlative. I couldn't find any negative comments whatsoever on Furuno but quite a few negatives on Garvin. at this point I'm heading for Furuno but firsta I want tio find out if they display fish symbols in different sizes lioke my now dead X 65 Lowrance. I hate those stupid archy things.

I called Furuno in Washington State and they referred me to a boating website called www.thehulltruth.com. I searched Furuno on the site and there were lots of testimonials about Furuno which were all superlative. I couldn't find any negative comments whatsoever on Furuno but quite a few negatives on Garvin. at this point I'm heading for Furuno but firsta I want tio find out if they display fish symbols in different sizes lioke my now dead X 65 Lowrance. I hate those stupid archy things.

If you see one of those "stupid archy things" on your fish finder you can be confident that it is a fish. I have seen a graph display 6 or 7 fish symbols when the boat is tide to the dock in 3 feet of clear water without a fish in sight. Not displaying the fish symbols is a plus in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

If you see one of those "stupid archy things" on your fish finder you can be confident that it is a fish. I have seen a graph display 6 or 7 fish symbols when the boat is tide to the dock in 3 feet of clear water without a fish in sight. Not displaying the fish symbols is a plus in my opinion.

It looks like I'll probably go with Lowrance or Humminbird since Furano doesn't have the fish symbols. I find it hard to believe that I could get used to those archy things especially since they (as far as I know) don't give a good representation of fish size. Any redcommendations in the $200 to $300 range (plus a smidge if necessary)?

I always thought I'd like the fish symbols too....but after a short while, I much prefer operating with that feature turned off. With only a few sizes of fish displayed on your screen....you don't get any idea of what you're looking at down there....but when you're in "arch" mode....you see a couple dots...you see a small line....you see a larger line....big fat arch....so much more variety and it gives you a better idea (I think) of what's going on "down there".

I paid $169 USD for my Lowrance x67c....rigged it up in a nice little cooler bag to be a portable unit, and use it all year round. Absolutely love it :D Shipped it to some American relatives, and avoided any border shipping shenanigans.

Guest gbfisher

It looks like I'll probably go with Lowrance or Humminbird since Furano doesn't have the fish symbols. I find it hard to believe that I could get used to those archy things especially since they (as far as I know) don't give a good representation of fish size. Any redcommendations in the $200 to $300 range (plus a smidge if necessary)?

Turn the fish ID off!!! That way you will be able to tell the difference between bait, thermo clines, bubbles, weeds or floating junk. Yes bubbles will look like fish. Weeds will look like fish. Bait fish will look like a large pile of fish and so on. Even interference will lok like fish when there's nothing under you.

You'll never be able to read what is really under you unless you have a better understanding of you should be looking for. So get a good finder and you will see what is what. Spend 500 and get maps as well.

Edited by gbfisher

I spoke to a guy today at Angling Outfitters that Gerritt recommended. He was obviously quite knowledgable and did a good selling job on the Lowrance Mark 5X for around $170 and the Mark 5X DSI for around $320 but may be worth the difference considering what it can do.

I spoke to a guy today at Angling Outfitters that Gerritt recommended. He was obviously quite knowledgable and did a good selling job on the Lowrance Mark 5X for around $170 and the Mark 5X DSI for around $320 but may be worth the difference considering what it can do.

gbfisher ... He also did a good job convincing me about all the disadvantages of fish symbols and that the images on the Lowrance Mark 5X DSI are even better than the symbols.