Leaf's coach has got to go

Pikeslayer

Ron Wilson's Got To Go  

46 members have voted

1. 1. When will Wilson get canned/resign

• Before Christmas 12.25.10
    • After Christmas 12.26.10
    • He'll get through the season 10/11

Just thought I'd post this poll for fun. I personally don't think that Burke can't hang on to his buddy for much longer. There is no one else to blame at this point because this is Burke's team now (I think the only pre-Burke players are Kaberle and maybe Schenn??)

For the record, I'm calling Sunday Dec 5th, after the Boston game.

Edited by PIKESLAYER

Hahaha, too funny Blaque.

I am a realist, and even 5 games into the season, I thought they would go into their typical mid-season slump, then come out on fire as the regular season winds down. They would be fighting to try and make the last playoff spot and be a little better than last year. I thought they would finish somewhere between 8th to 10th in the eastern conference. I didn't think they would be fighting to get out of last place again and give Boston another top player.

As it's looking now, Boston will be a big force in a few years with excellent building blocks in key young players with Toronto's picks (what Toronto should have done to rebuild). The Kessel trade will be what Burke is known for in Leafs land in the future. This will be his Leafs mark and what everyone will remember that stands out when they remember the Burke era. I think he is leaps and bounds better than Ferguson overall, but got on the wrong side of the NHL trade of the decade.

Kessel is a good 30 plus goal scorer, but that is the extent of his game. Sundin was more of a well rounded player and VERY strong on the puck. Sundin was more of a franchise player than Kessel, and he still didn't have a chance for a cup with Toronto.

I hate to say this as a Leafs fan, but I believe that until the Leafs start to rebuild from the ground up with the type of picks they traded to Boston, they will never be competitive enough for a serious run to see Stanley. Burke has set the rebuilding of Toronto back a few years IMO. Yes, I know it's a lottery in the draft, but to have the top draft pick (or close to it) for a few years in this salary cap era, it is the smartest way to have a good foundation for rebuilding a solid team.

Just a thought... maybe Burke is getting paid secretly by Boston's top brass LOL :whistling:

I can't see a coaching change making much of a difference.

Burke made some mistakes trying to rebuild this team and I'm sure he knows it. He'll need to hatch a new plan sooner than later but giving up 2 first rounders and a 2nd for kessel has to hurt.

Anyways not much Wilson can do.

The leafs lack a real #1 and #2 centre although maybe grabovski can be a #2

And if you look at the wingers they lack size and skill. By that I mean they have guys with size on the 3rd and 4th line like brown, and orr.

But in terms of guys with skill and size, maybe kulemin?

Anyways poorly constructed team that not even Scotty Bowman could make better if he was behind the bench.

You guys just don`t get it this is a great team with great players,they just need time for the chemistry to gel!!! rofl2.gif

Too bad really I was enjoying the intelligent hockey talk.You claimed to be a wealth of hockey knowledge,it would be refreshing to see it displayed.

Guest Johnny Bass

Keep him till seasons end. One less team for my sabres to have to crawl over on their quest out of the basement

People think that coach changes rarely make a difference, though If I recall correctly? Bringing Ted Nolan to coach the Sabres, turned that team right around. And they didn't have much talent either.

He's got to go, and so does the goalie coaches....

I am banking on theleafs edging out the 74/75 caps. 8-67-5

Well if they play the rest of the season like this, you never know.

Honestly You could put the top 10 coaches behind the bench and it won't make much of a difference. they are what everyone said. A basement dweller again.I was hoping with solid goal tending they could hver around the 50-50 mark but they are going to have to average better then 2 goals per game. They are 11th in the league in goals against but second last in goals for. They do have decent defense, and decent goal tending. The only way to measure that is goals against. The offense obviously needs a boost big time. I hope Kadri can light a fire somehow. Perhaps we can make a deal for center.

Its gonna take a player aquisistion to turn this around not a coaching change and burke knows that.

Burke won't get rid of Wilson. Remember he is trying to win the cup...for his hometown team. Wilson will go when Burke goes and as long as the money rolls in, that won't happen. The Leafs are lucky that a few other teams have really tanked this year or else they would be at the bottom already.

Burke won't get rid of Wilson. Remember he is trying to win the cup...for his hometown team. Wilson will go when Burke goes and as long as the money rolls in, that won't happen. The Leafs are lucky that a few other teams have really tanked this year or else they would be at the bottom already.

Do you honestly think Wilson will last another three years (how much longer Burke has on his deal) if they continue at this pace?

The money rolling in has nothing to do with it, either. The Leafs are worth more than any other NHL team, and that has never stopped them from firing coaches in the past...

Bringing Ted Nolan to coach the Sabres, turned that team right around. And they didn't have much talent either.

Bingo......They were known to be referred to as the hardest working team in hockey at that time.

They had to work hard based on some of the middle of the road talent on the ice.

FYI, ruff seems to have lit a bit of a fire under them somehow. They've grabbed 9 of their last available 10 points. Beating washington and vancouver in OT the last two.

Ya know ya'll are free to adopt our hockey team down here if things are that bad up in TO. Just watch em' on the tube, dont be snatchin up all our tickets.

I am, and, always have been a Leafs fan...but seriously...MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm starting to think we just need to blow up the whole franchise and start new.

I've said in the past few years, the last time they won the cup...I was in diapers, AND, the next time they win...I'll probably be in diapers again!!!!! Although that might be optimistic :wallbash::wallbash:

Guest Johnny Bass

Brian Burke has money and he's out shopping right now.........maybe he can pull a rabbit outa the hat yet

That's right. Time to ship Kaberle NOW for a consistent forward! If he continues to play the way he has been playing? No one will want him. Is he doing it on purpose so he doesn't get traded? :dunno:

And yes, Burke still has enough money to pick up a top Goal scoring free agent.

I just dont know what to do with Phaneuf? He's an expensive liability. And like I said. When Johnson comes back, he better be producing at $3 mil.

All the bad mouthing about Kessel?I was looking at Kessel's stats. He has 8 goals and 2 assists, but if you look at all the times he perfectly fed his team mates and they screwed up? You would know that his points should be higher. Kessel will evolve into Toronto's francise player. Especially when he gets some support.

Edited by Johnny Bass

That's right. Time to ship Kaberle NOW for a consistent forward! If he continues to play the way he has been playing? No one will want him. Is he doing it on purpose so he doesn't get traded? dunno.gif

And yes, Burke still has enough money to pick up a top Goal scoring free agent.

I just dont know what to do with Phaneuf? He's an expensive liability. And like I said. When Johnson comes back, he better be producing at $3 mil.

All the bad mouthing about Kessel?I was looking at Kessel's stats. He has 8 goals and 2 assists, but if you look at all the times he perfectly fed his team mates and they screwed up? You would know that his points should be higher. Kessel will evolve into Toronto's francise player. Especially when he gets some support.

Unfortunately I think Phaneuf will be around for years to come.At times he seems to try too hard to contribute offensively which leads to struggles defensively.If he could get rid of this part of his game he would be fine.

Kessel as everyone points out is very one dimensional.Fortunately that one dimension is goal scoring.As you mentioned with a good supporting cast he will start scoring on a regular basis.Not sure if he will be a franchise player but he will find the back of the net plenty of times.

Guest Johnny Bass

Unfortunately I think Phaneuf will be around for years to come.At times he seems to try too hard to contribute offensively which leads to struggles defensively.If he could get rid of this part of his game he would be fine.

Kessel as everyone points out is very one dimensional.Fortunately that one dimension is goal scoring.As you mentioned with a good supporting cast he will start scoring on a regular basis.Not sure if he will be a franchise player but he will find the back of the net plenty of times.

I disagree. Kessel's got speed and is a really great play maker also. I also like it when he rushes up the ice, slams on the breaks, waits for support to come in and makes great plays. He's the only leaf player that does that. He got spooked in the Boston game and he let them get under his skin. Once he picks himself up, he will be racking up the points.

Edited by Johnny Bass

LISTENING TO THE RADIO,THERES RUMBLINGS THAT THE PLAYERS ARE SHUTTING WILSON OUT.

PLAYERS MAY HAVE HAD ENOUGH.

Cant really blame them,there is only so much you can take.Combine that with their current downward spiral and Ghandi would be pissed!

Kessel's problem is that the rest of the league figured out that he is the only Leaf that can score (I'm still waiting for the wheels to fall off MacArthur).

As soon as Phil has a REAL CENTER to play with him, who is an equal threat, then we'll see some numbers.

True....I think MacArthur is alot like Stempniak,trouble scoring until a team change.Still seems like a flash in the pan though.

Guest Johnny Bass

Kessel's problem is that the rest of the league figured out that he is the only Leaf that can score (I'm still waiting for the wheels to fall off MacArthur).

As soon as Phil has a REAL CENTER to play with him, who is an equal threat, then we'll see some numbers.

A center, winger or both! He definitely needs help!

I disagree. He's got speed and is a really great play maker also. I also like it when he rushes up the ice, slams on the breaks, waits for support to come in and makes great plays. He's the only leaf player that does that. He got spooked in the Boston game and he let them get under his skin. Once he picks himself up, he will be racking up the points.

You have a good point.Hopefully he keeps improvingb that part of his game,we need all the up ice rushes we can get.