Steel in crystal clear water

ChrisK

Another weekend has come and gone. Two days on the river in low crystal clear waters. Looking out at the pools you would figure there wasn't a fish to be had but they were there appearing out of nowhere to crush an offering. I was lucky enough to witness a larger fish come up chasing something and then snatching it up going into a roll as it broke the surface...very impressive....

DSC03131.jpg

DSC03129.jpg

DSC03128.jpg

I just can't believe they are so willing to take these flies. You would figure in such clear low water they would be spooky and be after something a little more detailed like a prince nymphs or hairs ear's but no they want woolley buggers,fine by me :)Trick is to scale way down and get rid of all the lead on your rig. Run floro carbon right up to your 2 gram float and stack 4 bb's splitshot directly under it) letting the weight of the fly/bead take it to depth which isn't very deep in the pools I'm running,like three or four feet...I'm sure I could fish alot deeper with this set up if I had to pending on current....So far I've fished this particular run in high dirty water,medium stained and low and clear and the fly that did it for me in all conditions was the woolley bugger in black and sometimes in purple pending...

I just can't believe they are so willing to take these flies. You would figure in such clear low water they would be spooky and be after something a little more detailed like a prince nymphs or hairs ear's but no they want woolley buggers,fine by me :)Trick is to scale way down and get rid of all the lead on your rig. Run floro carbon right up to your 2 gram float and stack 4 bb's splitshot directly under it) letting the weight of the fly/bead take it to depth which isn't very deep in the pools I'm running,like three or four feet...I'm sure I could fish alot deeper with this set up if I had to pending on current....So far I've fished this particular run in high dirty water,medium stained and low and clear and the fly that did it for me in all conditions was the woolley bugger in black and sometimes in purple pending...

Thanks Chris for giving us a detail description of your setup to hook into those beauties B)

Sounds like you had a riot going on :whistling:

Tight lines

Leechman

Great stuff as usual Chris.

Next time instead of stacking shot up under your float try utilizing a self c0cking float.

If you don't have any you can make them easily by wrapping leadcore on the bottom stem and epoxying it.

I never thought of that Solo....But wouldn't the profile of a wrapped float stem be greater than the profile of the 4 bb's under the float ? These are 2 gram floats I'm using and have the diameter of a pencil. The stems are quite fine though. I'll give it a try and get back to you on that one.

Very nice Chris :good:

Flies work awesome when the fishing is tough. Ironically, some of my hottest fly patterns for super clear, super pressured conditions happen to be BIG (tied on size 4-1/0 hooks...Sometimes articulated).

Nice fish! Wish i had the patience to tie up bugs! Time to raid someones fly box!

The pattern that I use(skinny bead head bugger) is one of the easiest ones to tie. Takes under five minutes to do one up but thats only cause I take my time. If I can tie these up anybody could....Matter of fact I highly recommend any one who is thinking about getting into tieing there own flies to just go out and get a cheap vise and all the rest of the information you need is online and or right here. I'd be more than happy to help out anyone who wants to learn.