Venison- roast or slow cook

Pikeslayer

I'm not sure how to cook a 3 lb top sirloin venison roast latr today. I've been researching on line and found;

- venison should be cooked to med rare at most as it tends to dry out

- slow cooking ( crock pot) seems to be popular but it seems that the roast turns out more like 'pulled pork'

- a lot of recipes posted seem to use ingredients (apples) to reduce the gamey taste (not sure I want to do that)

- salt draws out the moisture in the meat.

So, I do cook a pretty mean roast beef. I sear it on the BBQ @600+ F until crispy brown and let it cool before finishing in the oven. This is what I am leaning towards but I am open to the slow cooking process based on any positive replies.

Any advice, opinions or recipe links would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance,

Pikeslayer

I've been cooking lots of moose this year.. I think you have a pretty good strategy. Season your roast, give it a good sear either on the BBQ like you said, or start with your oven really hot, then turn it down once the outside is nice and hot. Don't over good it, Med-Rare is the key in my opinion. Let us know how it turns out.

You want to cook it slow.250 for 4-5 hours.Wrapped in a nice smokey bacon. This is what works for me.

Hey, Brian....no disrepect here but if he cooks that SMALL roast for 4-5 hours there will be nothing to eat....

Don't cook according to time....it's ALWAYS better to cook according to temperature with a roast like this....slow cooking is for tough pieces of meat like a chuck roast....but not in this case.

I just did one on Labor Day here and I actually did it on charcoal grill... I took one garlic clove and cut it into three sliver pieces and poke a small knife blade (like a fillet knife) into the roast allowing me to shove in the garlic into the middle of the roast in three different places. Then I sprinkled it with kosher salt (when cooking always use kosher salt as table salt is too salty) and fresh ground pepper. Then I put three pieces of bacon around the roast holding them with tooth picks. This keeps the roast moist. I put it in a throw away tin pan with a little bit of oil in the bottom and added some home grown carrots and potatoes. Then I put a digital temp probe into the middle of the roast. Put it on the grill but I pushed the coals off to both sides of the pan for indirect heat.

Now the important part.......COOK ONLY TO ABOUT 136 degrees and take off the grill....lightly cover with tin foil and the temp of the roast will rise just over the 140 degree mark which is perfect for venison. Cut on a die-angle after DISCARDING the bacon as it will not be cooked enough if done right. You will be enjoying one VERY nice piece of venison that can easily be passed off as prime rib as I did with my sister in-law Cheryl.

Here's what it looked like before I cooked it.....it went too fast to take pics after it was cooked. And it took about 1 HOUR to cook...

BTW...Cheryl that said she will not eat venison twice asked for more meat... :whistling:

VenisonPotGrillRoast9-4-10002.jpg

Hey, Brian....no disrepect here but if he cooks that SMALL roast for 4-5 hours there will be nothing to eat....

To each thier own. Yours looks good.Love the indirect heat method aswell.

2 years ago Marty. It,s all I eat when I get one,thats why I have none.LOL

Keep the bacon away from my venison roast, want to taste venison not bacon :wallbash: Best thing I've found for venison to keep it moist is a clear plastic like cooking bag sold under the brand name of "Look", season and follow directions, cook about 300 to 325 until medium. Always liked a bit of mint jelly as a condiment with good venison.

Keep the bacon away from my venison roast, want to taste venison not bacon :wallbash: Best thing I've found for venison to keep it moist is a clear plastic like cooking bag sold under the brand name of "Look", season and follow directions, cook about 300 to 325 until medium. Always liked a bit of mint jelly as a condiment with good venison.

How about marinade Dave?

I like zesty Italian dressing. Mostly for the loins.Sliced thin after it,s cooked,put on crackers with brie.

Then I sprinkled it with kosher salt (when cooking always use kosher salt as table salt is too salty)

Hey BB, Salt is Salt.

The difference with Kosher is that the crystals are larger so you get less total salt compared with the same volume of Table Salt.

Cheers,

Mark

Hey BB, Salt is Salt.

The difference with Kosher is that the crystals are larger so you get less total salt compared with the same volume of Table Salt.

Cheers,

Mark

Sorry, but that's not true.......HUGE difference using Kosher Salt while Sea Salt is the opposite as it's VERY salty..

BillyBob...that does look and sound awesome! I've got a few in my freezer...I might just try it....you're cookin' that on BBQ?

What would the difference be in an oven...time wise?

Time wise would be pretty much the same..set oven at 350 degrees and use a digital monitored (probe). But take it out at 136 degrees and cover lightly with tin foil....it will rise above the 140 degree mark which is rare...this is very good for venison. I just did it on the BBQ because it was a backyard party and it helps entertain my guest while cooking. I enjoy cooking and it gives my wife the day off from it as she's a profession cook daily.

Most venison roast are small probably topping out around 3lbs so they wouldn't take much longer then 1 hour at the most. In 4-5 hours you can cook a 20lb turkey.

Happy Cooking and let us know how it turns out (which should be good, there's nothing really to it)

Bob

Edited to add one VERY important detail when cooking meats, just about any meats. And that is take it out of the fridge at least 2 hours so it has a chance to come to room temp....this is important so the middle of the meat (roast, steaks, etc...) are not raw after you take them off the grill, etc....I have done large standing rib roast that I took out 5 hours before cooking them and wished I had taken it out 6 hours....BTW they come out GREAT on the BBQ using the indirect heat method and it really impresses your guest that you can cook such a large roast on the grill.

Edited by Billy Bob

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. So here's what I ended up doing.

1. Let the meat (2.5 lbs) stand @ room temp for 3 hrs (like Billy Bob says, if I'm cooking a larger beef roast i.e. 6-8 lbs, it will stand for 6-8 hrs, so 1 hr per pound) and patted it dry with paper towels.
  2. I seasoned (sans salt), torched/seared on the BBQ all sides @ 600+ F (approx 15 min) and allowed to cool/seal for about 1 hr.
  3. Slow cooked in the crock pot with onions, apples & garlic, 1 tbsp oil @ lowest heat setting. I used this recipe as a base/guideline;http://allrecipes.co...ast/Detail.aspx
  4. Inserted the digital thermometer @ the 2 hr mark and holy $#!+, the temp was already @ 125 F (with 4 hrs to go before the outlaws arrived). So I shut it down, took the pot with the roast and let it chill down in the garage.
  5. @ 5:00 pm, started the crock pot again. Hit 140 @ 7:00 pm, covered with foil (like Chef William Robert says).
  6. 7:30, carved and served to a perfect medium rare.
  7. Served with escargot in Brie cheese, parmesan roasted potatoes, peas & corn, Coho (from the freezer), ribs, venison sausage and a small beef top sirloin cooked to medium (for the picky ones) and a wild mushroom gravy and red wine (I think it was Shiraz).
  8. Desert- Glenlivet XXV

RESULTS

• The venison roast was a hit with the outlaws
  • I was a little disappointed with the process as the recipe cooking time was overstated and I had to do a fix. Thank goodnes for Chef William Robert's timely post earlier in the thread. He saved the roast.
  • As far as taste, I will omit the apples next time as this took away too much natural flavour. I would rate it maybe 8 out of 10. Presentation was a solid 10. Browned on the outsided and bright red throughout with clear running juices.
  • I will use the same method a second time with proper cooking time adjustments and without apples and shoot for a solid 10.

At the end of the day, it was all about good food and great family. It was well worth the effort.

Thx again,

Pikeslayer

Edited by PIKESLAYER

Sounds VERY GOOD.....you can cook for me any day of the week...no pics ? :thumbsup_anim:

For digital meat thermometer I use the kind that you insert in the meat and it stays in there throughout the cooking process and the resting time (when you take it out and cover with foil). This way you can monitor it all the while it's in the oven / BBQ....I have one very similar to this one....and it actually has a alarm that goes off once you reach your predeterminer temperature. They only cost about $20 - $25...but make sure you get the one that has a metal type wire going from the probe to the readout display......this kind will not be effected by oven or BBQ heat. They are also good to check if your oven or fridge are operating correctly.

http://www.cookware.com/Polder-362-90-UZ1021.html

Sorry, but that's not true.......HUGE difference using Kosher Salt while Sea Salt is the opposite as it's VERY salty..

Kosher salt does not contain Iodine... and therefore does not have that nasty after taste that most salts do. Even most Sea Salt has Iodine added... However, Iondine is poisonous so I have to wonder why they put it in!

BillyBob's recipe sounds/looks great... I would even consider covering the whole roast in Dijon Mustard and whole pepper corns...

HH

Kosher salt does not contain Iodine... and therefore does not have that nasty after taste that most salts do. Even most Sea Salt has Iodine added... However, Iondine is poisonous so I have to wonder why they put it in!

BillyBob's recipe sounds/looks great... I would even consider covering the whole roast in Dijon Mustard and whole pepper corns...

HH

Iodine is one of those things that are put in food products because our normal diet doesn't have enough of it. We need it for our thyroid glands to work properly. Otherwise we'd all have goiters!

Everything is poisonous if you have enough of it. :)