E tec

walleyejack

I am looking at a Evinrude E tec 90hp,09

have read some pretty nasty reviews,from,

blown power heads,bad injectors,and a few other things,is this a common ailment with this engine ? I don t think i want to get involved in a life long commitment to Evinrude payments. Any input would be appreciated.

I've got an '08 75 and love it. Never given me any trouble. I've heard problems with all motors, I think a lot of it has to do with how they are treated?

An example is I was a cottage this summer and pulled up to put the boat in and there was another guy there crapping on me about the e-tecs as he's had nothing but problems. He then proceeded to take off into the shallow bay with the motor down and brown silt coming out of the pee hole. Hmm I know why you are having problems?

A buddy of mine has that motor but I think it is an 08 and had a terrible time with injectors and plugs for the first year or so. They told him they were great motors for trolling with and after he put a kicker on and stopped trolling with the big motor all his problems were solved and it runs great now. But it was a $5000 solution by the time he bought the kicker and had it all installed.

Guest gbfisher

My buddy bought a 2007 115 for one of his boats.

Two injectors one on either side were replaced in three seasons on waranty. Not sure why. Could have been water in the gas which supposidly kills injectors.

Stabilizer would have helped I think. Water separator as well.

Other than that it's been great now going on three seasons and fall engine shut down is a breeeze.

Edited by gbfisher

Guest gbfisher

yes 2-strokes aren't meant to be trolled at all

I had a 1984 70 hp 2 stroke Johnson that only trolled(a lot) or it went WFO.

Still runs like a top today!! They all troll if they're set up right.

I troll with a 225 4 stroke now. :)

We have two at work, one on a shocking boat and one on a jon boat. 70hp and 75. I would NEVER buy one for personal use. It uses way too much fuel, as much or more as my 150hp Honda, and it's only a 70hp. They idle very rough, and they have been in the shop more than they should have in the 5 years we've had them. Throttle positioning sensor, computer module, piston positing sensor, another computer module. It's non stop.

How's this - running full throttle across the lake at about 30mph on plane with three guys in the boat, and the throttle positioning sensor suddenly decides that the throttle isn't actually full, it's only a quarter, so the engine drops from 5200rpm to 1200rmp. Everyone ends up on their face in the front of the boat. This happens ALL THE time. I don't know how many TPS's we've put in. Every time we take it in for servicing, the dealerships computer lights up with countless "codes" that need attention.

IMHO, they are pieces of crap.

Guest gbfisher

We have two at work, one on a shocking boat and one on a jon boat. 70hp and 75. I would NEVER buy one for personal use. It uses way too much fuel, as much or more as my 150hp Honda, and it's only a 70hp. They idle very rough, and they have been in the shop more than they should have in the 5 years we've had them. Throttle positioning sensor, computer module, piston positing sensor, another computer module. It's non stop.

How's this - running full throttle across the lake at about 30mph on plane with three guys in the boat, and the throttle positioning sensor suddenly decides that the throttle isn't actually full, it's only a quarter, so the engine drops from 5200rpm to 1200rmp. Everyone ends up on their face in the front of the boat. This happens ALL THE time. I don't know how many TPS's we've put in. Every time we take it in for servicing, the dealerships computer lights up with countless "codes" that need attention.

IMHO, they are pieces of crap.

low oil will drop the RPM's...

ya...I forgot buddies boat did that as well.

Opinions are like asses, everyone has one. It does not matter what outboard brand you look at, there will always be someone who had a lemon, it's the chance you take, that is what warranties are for. E-tec is technology that has been around for a couple of years now and they will have worked many of the bugs out. I'd think about it if I was in the market for an outboard, they are a lot lighter than a comparable 4stroke (although they too have shed quite a few pounds) and are very fuel efficient. Any engine run at full throttle is going to burn lots of fuel, the question is, how much does it burn at cruise??