Test of $30.00 Hatcam for those who like to record their fishing

rufus

I bought a Micro Camera online from http://www.themicrocamera.com/ and tested it on the weekend with plans of using it next season. The camera takes very good video for its size. The downside is the built in rechargeable battery seems to have a life of about 8 minutes. I am hoping that will improve with multiple charges...

<center><object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdjwEeZGwA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdjwEeZGwA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdjwEeZGwA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object></center>

Edited by NWO Fishing

Were those bear tracks or something on the wooden path? They were awfully big and did not stay on the track as a human would.

Jiggy

Jeez, I hope not :blink:

There are stepping stones at the beginning - so that is what the big round "tracks" are. The tracks at the end are mine. The ramp is steeper than it looks so walking in a straight line when it is slippery is not easy. Besides, I just woke up at the crack of noon - so I was half asleep :D

And yes, I was expecting fish :lol:

So was I!

Sometimes nature just doesn't cooperate. That is the problem with the short battery life. It takes two hours to charge and so far is just lasting 8 to ten minutes. I have not used it much yet though...

Try this one. Only cost you a screw and washer and an old hat.

I use this method. Keep the hat handy, hook a fish, set the hook, put on the hat, memorize the "video" button procedure and off I go. That last part is particularly easy with my Panasonic TS2 because it has a dedicated video button.

I also find it's easy and fast to take self portraits with this hat cam because you can just lay it on a bag, floor ect.. and hit the timer button. I used it in my last bull trout report to do just that.

Try this one. Only cost you a screw and washer and an old hat.

Yeah, I saw that the other day and am going to try it with an old camera. The advantage with the micro cam though is that with the small size you can also have your regular camera filming and the camera on your head is almost unnoticeable when you are in the shot.

No zoom but one is not really needed.

Might the cold temps have an effect on battery life?

HH

I don't think it was the cold weather as it was coming out of a warm cabin. I am going to see if I can condition the battery to last longer and will report back.

Yes, it is an old Mitchell 301 from the '80's and the rod is equally as old. I hate throwing away fishing stuff...

Update on the battery - I just recorded 18 minutes and it was still going. I think the issue is not the battery perhaps but how I was charging it. The battery is charged through the USB port on a computer. Previously I was using a laptop to do this which may put out less power than a desktop unit. Today I charged using a desktop and the battery has more power. There is no indicator to tell when charging is complete or how much charge is left in the battery. The instructions just say to charge it for a couple of hours.

Yes, it is an old Mitchell 301 from the '80's and the rod is equally as old. I hate throwing away fishing stuff...

Update on the battery - I just recorded 18 minutes and it was still going. I think the issue is not the battery perhaps but how I was charging it. The battery is charged through the USB port on a computer. Previously I was using a laptop to do this which may put out less power than a desktop unit. Today I charged using a desktop and the battery has more power. There is no indicator to tell when charging is complete or how much charge is left in the battery. The instructions just say to charge it for a couple of hours.

I would think charging it from a laptop would be fine. Did you charge it the same amount of time with both the laptop and desktop? I would leave it on charge for a good number of hours to make sure it's fully charged. I might get one. But the recording must improve. I checked around for some head cams and came across the same one you have and they want 80 bucks for it on sale from 140. Friggin mark ups.