pigeon report

Rizzo

Last week I had the opportunity to do some last minute musky fishing. It was supposed to be very windy on

friday (the day we were going) but what are you going to do? Got a couple of destination options from fellow OFC'ers, and decided to try pigeon lake. I had fished there once before, earlier this year, and we managed a decent fish that day. As suggested by crappieperchhunter, we booked our stay with Joyce from Buckeye. Super friendly woman with an awesome musky hanging in the office...sadly she had no fishing tips to share. 9 a.m. on Friday the water temps were just over 50 degrees, we positioned the boat about 2 cast lengths out from a weed-edge we found and within a few minutes the first fish was on...and then off. It left some evidence though, a couple of scales on the trebles was proof to my buddy I wasn't lying! Not much later this spunky fish fell victim to a sledge.

!cid_C34680EB-AF6A-46E8-B04B-2DF81AAB065F.jpg

Casting gets pretty cold this time of year so we decided to do some trolling and exploring around the lake. I had heard Nogies creek was a good spot so we decided to troll up that way. Found some awesome drop-offs along the west shore that we zig-zagged across but no luck, did some more casting at the weed-edge a few hundred metres from the bridge with no luck, actually went right into the weeds and I nailed a 4 pound pickerel on a 5 ounce glider bait (dang pesky pickerel)...but as far as musky...no luck. Anyone know the secret to nogies creek please feel free to pm me or post it here! Looked good to us but we saw nothing. After no luck at Nogies we did some more trolling around the top end of the lake, focusing on the 18-25 foot depths, banging bottom with jakes, believers, hookers and depth raiders. My buddy caught a decent fish on a holographic jake, and shortly after that I got this one on a depthraider.

!cid_CE9EB8A3-DE03-4849-97FC-AB38F5897668.jpg

That was the end of the fun! By that time of day the wind had really picked up. We wanted to fish the top of big island, but got absolutely soaked by waves crashing the bow...sure was nice to get back to the hotel room and dry off! We had a few hours Saturday morning to get out but the water had dropped to around 46 degrees and fishing was off. I lost what felt to be a small fish, and my buddy had a lazy follow by a mid 30's fish when we were crazy enough to cast.Thanks again to crappieperchhunter for the suggestion, things worked out great for a last minute trip. If anyone knows how to increase the size of these pictures please go ahead...I suck at computer.

hey thanks Joey! I've been thinking Pigeon for the last couple of years, but just never had the time. With Balsam being closer to home I've mainly gone there and its been good to me, but my last couple of trips to Balsam issued a giant goose egg (pretty sure you guys had a similar result there not too long ago?). Anywho, tired of getting skunked, thought it was time to change it up a little. We found all kinds of great looking spots on our day and a half at pigeon, now just need to find the ones that hold fish.

In your second picture...Were there some rocks sticking out of the water ???

Looks like where I've caught a couple of shoal carp over the years...rolleyes.gif

BTW...Your pictures are OK...just click on them...

Edited by Beans