Impaired driving

Hey all, i'm not here to preach or start anything....

I've recently been doing some training and have had the chance to watch an awesome video produced by the Center of Forensic Science in Toronto. The study was conducted in 1958 prior to the 0.08mg/100mL was put into the criminal code.

The study is by a doctor (long since dead) who's basis of the testing was stating that perhaps Canada should follow Norway's lead with impaired driving laws. In Norway, since 1925, the legal limit has been .110mg/100mL. His research took 10 of the best race/rally car drivers in Ontario and subjected them to tests. The basis being that race car drivers are trained drivers and are used to the pressures of being tested for various things. They thought that the average driver would be too nervous for the tests.

The drivers than completed a series of driving tests including weaving in and out of cones both forwards and in reverse, taking a turn at high speed (60mph) adjusting to emergency braking (kid running onto the road), stopping at a red light, turning at a stop sign and adjusting to a sudden detour. The drivers were sober and had to drive quickly, smoothly and obey the rules of the road.

Once they completed the test, they started to drink.

8 males and 2 females began to drink. The theory, is that the average male will reach .080mg/100mL after 6-8 standard 1.5oz shots (mixed drinks) over 4 hours.

They then completed the tests. The range of blood alcohol contents were between .035mg and .110mg/100mL. (the course was set up on the old Jarvis Airport tarmac)

They showed each driver completing the test. Each and every "professional" driver could not complete any of the tasks properly. Their speeds either drastically increased or decreased. The driver who had the BAC of .110 ended up goin 80mph through the track etc etc.

The study proved that at .040 a persons ability to drive IS IMPAIRED. Although a person may not feel intoxicated or show any signs of intoxication, their ability to react etc changes.

I'm still looking for the video because it's really well done. Anyway, the scientists were shocked and actually petitioned the governement in 1960 to have the legal limit lowered to .050mg/100mL.

For some on this board who have issues with the PROVINCIAL law of .050mg/mL, there are a lot of misconceptions. For example, I consumed 4, 1.5 oz of rye in coke over a 45 minute period and waited 15minutes to eliminate the traces of mouth alcohol. I only blew .044 (my highest result) and honestly, I didn't feel any different than I did cooking at the bbq on a summer day. 2 beers will not cost you a 3 day suspension....unless you have them in 30mins or less then drive. The majority of the horror stories you hear are either false or caused by a result called mouth alcohol which basically is the remnants of what you drank that stays in your mouth 15mins after your last sip.

The average person's rate of elimination is 10-20 mg of alcohol from your body every hour. So, for us guys, the average bottle of beer has 17mgs of alcohol in it. So do the math....you have 2 beers, after an hour or so it will be out of your system. I'm not telling you to go out and drink, but if you do...take your time, have some food and don't rush. The laws are in place for a reason (i don't agree with them all) but the impaired driving laws are accurate. Studies have shown that from .05-.100 the average person feels euphoria, disinhibition, increased self confidence, impaired judgement, slight loss of coordination and the inability to complete divided attention tasks like driving lol....seasoned drinkers have a greater tolerance for alcohol and may be able to keep it together but there is a point where every person won't be able to react fast enough for the change in the routine and for those who drive in Toronto and Markham those changes can be difficult when sober.

Anyways, just thought i'd pass some information on. I know i'm going to get flack for everything but educating people is a good thing and sometimes it saves a life. I know that i won't be getting behind the wheel after a few beers anymore.

Dave

Thanks Dave

as a guy sober for 21 years, i can tell you that i'm lucky to never have had a DUI because i deserved many.In most heavy drinkers, tolerance level to alcohol drops severly.At the end of my drinking career 3 beers would put me into a blackout state for many hours.

Drink responsibly and stay alive

Paul

interresting stuff id like to have an 'instant read alco-meter' when we're doing serious drinking to see just what it takes to break the law - wether a little bit (.05) or a lot (.08) or demolish it - (insert #). had a few opportunites to test my BAC after drinking and quite frankly everytime has been a shock. thought id destroy the breathalyzer, only blew a warning. had some fun with some local officers we were plowed every one of us was legal when we were tested. must be an interesting course thanks for sharing.

Paul its not the intolerance to alcohol that causes it...if you are a chronic alcoholic your BAC is always high and those three beers add to it whch puts your into alcohol amnesia...its the functional tolerance of alcohol that's dangerous....the guys who are in such a bad state that their BAC is always over the limit but they walk, talk, work and do many single tasks well, but when they do something that involves divided attention like driving then there's problems!

I have a question, how could you cheat on the road side breathalizer?

Haha, I'm just joking. What I like about this post is that it shows really whats happens and everyone could get a better understanding of all of this, includng myself.

Thanks for the post.

I have a question, how could you cheat on the road side breathalizer?

Haha, I'm just joking. What I like about this post is that it shows really whats happens and everyone could get a better understanding of all of this, includng myself.

Thanks for the post.

haha, everyone thinks there's a way to beat it...honestly there isn't (the test anyway, courts another monster on it's own) just time is the only thing that can beat it...funny thing is, is that in the states there is a loop hole that you can have anything in your mouth when you take the test so that's where people were throwing pennies in their mouths....no false teeth either...don't know bout you, but i don't wanna be stickin my hands in a drunks mouth to get their teeth lol

That was a very interesting read.

Thanks for posting.

i wonder what they would say if they saw the episode of WKRP in Cincinnati,

when venus flytrap and johnny fever did the test on air with a cop.

the more they drank the quicker there reflex's were-----LOL

the cop was getting really pissed off...

anyone else remember that one????

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Thanks for posting.

rofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

that was way too funny. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for posting.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I sure do! *Venus hears timer bell ring and yells "there off" as DJF hit's the timer bell in record time! Best show and that was the best one they did too. Hey Dann, "I need a hat too" ;)

Good post F-N-A. Folks also need to remember that the RIDE program is going to have a few AM check points soon too as the holiday season is getting closer. Not saying drinking at the crack of dawn but for the hangover factor.

but the real question is after : "8 males and 2 females began to drink. The theory, is that the average male will reach .080mg/100mL after 6-8 standard 1.5oz shots (mixed drinks) over 4 hours. "

Where did this little party of ten end up at after the driving tests?

If they drank like me, I woulda continued the party till I dropped. :blush:

but the real question is after : "8 males and 2 females began to drink. The theory, is that the average male will reach .080mg/100mL after 6-8 standard 1.5oz shots (mixed drinks) over 4 hours. "

Where did this little party of ten end up at after the driving tests?

If they drank like me, I woulda continued the party till I dropped. blush.gif

its a darn good thing we didnt know each other back then eh Ron.we woulda gone up i a blaze of glory.smile.gif they'd be still talkin about us to this day.