i think i caught my first whitie???

pikeie

well today i was out on simcoe in kempenfelt bay to day. i was fishing for perch and the fish were scatterd around pretty good, i was fishing 40 FOW. so with the fish scatterd i droped down a williams jiggin spoon to try and attract some perch in to my other rig. well allmost instantly i got a few perch, then i got i better hit pulled it up and it was a herring, then droped it back down, my spoon was out of my flashers cone when it got hit hard. set the hook and the fish pulled some fair ammount of line and bent my mediam heavey rod way more then any herring, i got it on the ice and the fish was around 2 feet long and the mouth was just had a BIT more of an angle to it. so i was wondering first off if herring can get that long and from the poor discription i just gave you lol what do u think it was?? the fish was realeased because i wasnt 100% sure it was a whitie.

and on another note, while i was out we saw so people catching many herring in the 15-18 inch range and keeping them!! so i gave the mnr tips line a call and i gave a discription of the men. they asked for my cell # incase any CO's were in the area. almost 5 minutes later i got a call form a CO :thumbsup_anim: . so he came on down, but by the time they got there the men had taken off. they serched the parking lot (i couldnt get a plate #) but couldnt find anyone. so they went around the ice and got a few people with no liecence and such. it was sure good to see that that mnr line acctully works and that they had a CO in the area :thumbsup_anim:

yea lexx speaking of that i was out with a couple of first ice fishing newbies lol. at the end of the day on of them was using my little panfish popper rod he was wondering why it was taking so long to get to bottom. i told him to shut his bail maybe theres a fish on just swimming with it. right when he closed his bail the rod doubled over and almost broke lol. so with ths rod it obvisly wasnt ment for fish like this and it couldnt real it in. so i grabed the line (2 lbs test) and hand lined it, it was like pulling up a log with a few small headshakes. we got it to the hole and it just felt like it was wedged at the bottom of the ice, so while we were trying to get it head up, i took my arm out of my floater suit and was ready to try and grab "it". while i was doing this the fish decided to make one last pull and snaped the line. it was a preety big disapontment but the kid now wants to go back and try to get the fish lol.