Outboard Repair Course in GTA?

Nemo

Hi Guys,

THanks for the responses. Barrie is too far but it looks good. Centennial no longer offers it.

However for those interested the Toronto District School Board offers one as part of their continuing education program.

Site here: http://www.tdsb.on.ca/_site/ViewItem.asp?siteid=200&menuid=983&pageid=721

Small Engines

This course provides you with practical

hands-on experience working with small

engines. You will learn how to repair and

maintain two and four cycle engines such as

lawn mowers, chainsaws and outboard

motors. (material costs: extra)

Hi Guys,

THanks for the responses. Barrie is too far but it looks good. Centennial no longer offers it.

However for those interested the Toronto District School Board offers one as part of their continuing education program.

Site here: http://www.tdsb.on.ca/_site/ViewItem.asp?siteid=200&menuid=983&pageid=721

Small Engines

This course provides you with practical

hands-on experience working with small

engines. You will learn how to repair and

maintain two and four cycle engines such as

lawn mowers, chainsaws and outboard

motors. (material costs: extra)

Nemo,

This looks like the one I took back in the 80's. I attended with my Dad and it was great. I went to the one on Royal York in Etobicoke. I think it was called Kingsmill school back then.

The instructor let you bring in your own stuff an he guided you through the overhaul and repair.

I think it would be fun to do something like this again!

Oh yeah, Humber College North Campus has a great small motor shop geared to outboard marine engines. I just don't know it they offer a course part time. It would be worth checking into.

Edited by Rattletrap2

Nemo,

This looks like the one I took back in the 80's. I attended with my Dad and it was great. I went to the one on Royal York in Etobicoke. I think it was called Kingsmill school back then.

The instructor let you bring in your own stuff an he guided you through the overhaul and repair.

I think it would be fun to do something like this again!

Oh yeah, Humber College North Campus has a great small motor shop geared to outboard marine engines. I just don't know it they offer a course part time. It would be worth checking into.

Thanks Rattletrap2 I'll look into it.

• 1 month later...

I realize I'm not a huge poster on here I prefer to read alot of the threads. Bringing up an old topic, and would like some insight please. I'm seriously debating a new carrer choice. I've been thinking about what I might enjoy. I adore working on cars and fixing things and marine mechanic dose seem interesting. The courses seem to be far and few between though. Found "Craigs" link the other day, UTI in the States, and a place in Edmonton. Craig have you been thru the program up there in Barrie at Georgian? Has anyone else fro that matter? Any marine mechanics out there with any insight in the trade? Is it more seasonal work or do you stay busy year round, and if so is it repairing other types of equipment? I've been doing the same thing now for 13 years and am dying to try something completly new. Any one? Thanks Greg.

I took my course through Durham Collage in Whitby. Small engine is a two year course, Marine is three years First and Second as small engine, third as marine. There are lots of ways to get into the program but I'll warn you up front the pay is not very good especially starting out.

If you'd like to talk about it, give me a call 705-328-0577.

I fully realize the low pay thing, but if its that bad even after say 6+ yrs then that kinda poops on my parade. Hmmmmmm gives me something to research and think about more. I just figured its a trade and the pay would be decent. I will have a look at Durham College Cliff thanks for the heads up on that. Thanks Bernie for the reply. You guys have a good Christmas.

I fully realize the low pay thing, but if its that bad even after say 6+ yrs then that kinda poops on my parade. Hmmmmmm gives me something to research and think about more. I just figured its a trade and the pay would be decent. I will have a look at Durham College Cliff thanks for the heads up on that. Thanks Bernie for the reply. You guys have a good Christmas.

Don't let me scare you off.

To start with you are going to have to serve a three year apprenticeship. Since you probably don't have any experience you are going to have to start out at minimum wage or something close to that.

It usually takes about a year before you can start school but EI will pay you while you attend and there can be travel and or living allowances available for the 3 months you are going to school every year.

Once you have finished your schooling and you write your test and get your license as a marine mechanic you should be able to get about $25.00/hour but that is probably going to be seasonal. There is lots of work available in the off season if you want it, sleds, snow blowers, you name it.

Yes, you can make a decent living at it if you are any good but you have to realize that handing a guy a $400.00 bill for doing repairs on his car is one thing. Handing a guy a $400.00 bill for fixing his lawn tractor or his outboard doesn't usually go over so well.

I just did a job on a snow blower for a friend of mine.

New auger bushings, wheel bushings, friction disc, skid plates, impeller bearing, spark plug, belts, welded up the blower housing, tore apart the gear box to replace the key in the pinion gear, drained and cleaned the fuel system, changed the oil, and fixed a leaking tire.

Parts cost $186.00 Now what do you think I should charge for labour; (I'm not charging him anything, as I said he is a friend) but by the time I checked everything over found out what parts I needed, ordered the parts, put everything back together (oh, and the bolt that holds the pulleys on to the impeller shaft stripped so I had to drill that out and re tap the hole) started, tested, and fine tuned it, I have about 5-6 hours into it.

If I had spent 5 or 6 hours working on a car he would expect to pay 4-500 in labour but you'd never get that on a small engine job.

Can you make a good living as a small engine/marine mechanic, yes, you can but you are going to have to specialize, work hard and study a lot.

Yes, Cliff has hit the nail on the head.

When you add in diagnosis time, parts and labor it can often be more than buying a new one. Some folks find this hard to understand.

My Dad tells a story of Fred Johnson who owned a marina in Pefferlaw.

A fellow brought in a lawn mower for repair and wanted an estimate.

Fred picked it up and threw it off the bridge into the river, quoted him a price for a new one.

Wow Cliff, more info than I was expecting thanks alot, I aprechite it. I fully realize the shocked look on pepoles faces with high tabs for parts and labour. Nice way of puttin it Bernie. Thanks again Cliff makes me feel better on the outlook.