Wood working

GBW

Here is what I have built so far today.

IMG00004-20101017-1457.jpg

IMG00003-20101017-1456.jpg

The base of each leg is not done yet (ran out of the craft wood I was using) and I still need to make the "headboard" and "footboard" as well. Then sand & paint.

Looking good!

By the looks of things, you probably don't need to reinforce the inside corners of the feet.

Thanks and because of the design I won't have to. I just wish I purcahsed 2 of those craft boards. That's why I had to stop for the day... :wallbash: Otherwise I would have finished the fabrication in one day...

Are you drilling out recesses for round dowels to fit into? If you're going with a blind hole I'd go 3/4" deep. (halfway down the 1"x2" piece) You could go all the way through too.

A couple things to watch out for:

You will want to use the highest speed setting on your drill, and use fairly light pressure when drilling on the side grain, which can have a tendency to rip/chip.

Rough up the end of the dowel, and cut some vertical spiral grooves into it so glue and air can travel up out of the hole when the dowel is inserted. Otherwise you'll end up with the majority of the glue pooled up in the drill point at the bottom of the hole, and a weak connection.

Yes, recessed holes was/is the plan. I may double up the wood at the head and foot of the bed so I can drill through/into both so it's not as weak. Thanks for the reminder in the dowel cuts!

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy the fish?

At least that way you have enough time for woodworking :whistling:

Thats my problem right now. Beautiful sunny day. Do I go fishing, play in the woodshop or work on my new family room..uummmmm :Gonefishing:

Hey Geoff,

Not to give you any more work than you need, but were you thinking about putting the "boots" on the bottom of both beds?

Are the wife / daughter happy? Since theirs' are the opinions that count :lol:

I'm still thinking of the 'boots' on both or not to. my wife is very happy with it and well, my daughter won't get back to me about it until Christmas. As per our conversation about the white wash vs. full white paint. my wife is going to paint it pink with the left over paint from when we painted my daughters room.

I’m very happy that I went out and got that brad nailer for the compressor. I went out this morning and got some more of the wood that I used to make my daughters doll beds and started on my son's toy box with all this 50+ year old old wood I got from my father. Here’s what I made.

IMG00007-20101024-1306.jpg

IMG00013-20101024-1332.jpg

IMG00009-20101024-1307.jpg

IMG00008-20101024-1307.jpg

IMG00010-20101024-1311.jpg

IMG00011-20101024-1311.jpg

IMG00012-20101024-1332.jpg

Very nice job on both jobs geoff.

instead of writing on the toy box with a marker why dont you router it on??

this way it will never rub off or get covered over.

Thanks Dann, I didn't think of that but I may do it. A Sharpie is just that much faster... :sleeping_02:

• 3 weeks later...